S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Scenic route to S2K Days in Alpharetta, GA

Old 08-11-2013, 10:05 PM

Received 517 Likes on 306 Posts
Default Scenic route to S2K Days in Alpharetta, GA

I am planning to leave for S2K Days on Monday, 26 August and take the "scenic route" including driving the "Back of the Dragon" and perhaps the "Tail of the Dragon" (which I have not done for years), during the weekdays when (hopefully) it is not so crazy. I plan to arrive in Alpharetta on Thursday afternoon in time to check in to the hotel.

I have searched a bit on line for diners, drive-in's and dives, etc (as well as Yelp.com) but have not found anything noteworthy along the way to Alpharetta that really stands out as a "must experience place". Does anyone have any suggestions?

As
I did on my trip out to S2K Days at Mount Rushmore, SD I am going to try my best to stay off of the interstates (except when it does not make sense to me), and take the path less traveled.

Any suggestions that you have will be welcomed

Thank you,
Matt
Old 08-12-2013, 12:57 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,139 Likes on 770 Posts

If you're going to drive Back of the Dragon, stop in Marion at the General Francis Marion Hotel and eat at the Black Rooster restaurant there.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:15 AM

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Also check out the Kentucky caravan thread on the other site. We are doing the Bourbon run and part of the dragon Tuesday-Thursady on the way to Alpharetta
Old 08-12-2013, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt -

PM tonybell_57. He lives in ATL and I'm sure he knows Alpharetta and everything on the north side as well as anyone. He'll be an attendee at S2KDays as well.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:58 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,139 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by raymo19
Matt -

PM tonybell_57. He lives in ATL and I'm sure he knows Alpharetta and everything on the north side as well as anyone. He'll be an attendee at S2KDays as well.
Actually, Tony is the organizer.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:26 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Matt, I'll be in Alpharetta on Thursday this week. Let me know if you need any intel on the place.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Matt, I'll be in Alpharetta on Thursday this week. Let me know if you need any intel on the place.
Business or pleasure?
Old 08-13-2013, 07:13 PM

Received 517 Likes on 306 Posts

I appreciate the replies from everyone. It seems that when ever I go anywhere I am always on some king of dead line to get from A to B. For example, I am leaving in the morning to go visit my Mother on Long Island. I have learned, over the years, that timing is everything as that trip has taken me anywhere from five and a half hours (flying low) to as much as fifteen and a half hours because of traffic, construction, accidents, etc. On a good day, if I leave either VA or Riverhead, Long Island about 09:30 it puts me behind rush hour traffic but before construction zones are set up, and lets me arrive on the other end just as construction zones are being taken down before rush hour. If I stop for a real lunch ( as Zippy and his +1 have suggested) along the way I am screwed on the remote end.

On this trip, like my drive at to Keystone, I am taking my time and will try to stay off of the interstates as much as practical. I plan on taken the path less traveled and enjoy the journey, not just the destination.

Who knows, I may just stay at the General Francis Hotel as the reviews on Trip Advisor are great. And, eat at the Black Rooster as well.

And with the aforementioned stated: Bill if you uncover any thing that is note worthy please do report back or PM me.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:33 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I'll be there on a business meeting/presentation. I'm booked for one night and will be leaving early the next morning. If we do not go out for dinner after the meeting, I may return home right after the meeting and not spend the night. I find I avoid a lot of trouble if I don't stay anywhere too long. I'm not sure why that is...

Matt, I'll ask around and let you know if i learn about anything fun.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:39 PM

Too bad. I'd have liked to see you if you were going to be around for a while. Might even buy you supper.

Quick Reply: Scenic route to S2K Days in Alpharetta, GA