S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

San Francisco

Old 09-01-2013, 10:01 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,124 Posts
Default San Francisco

Liz and I are in San Francisco for a few days. My nephew is getting married this afternoon and we decided to take a few extra days. We've been here before, and S F is one of my favorite cities.

My nephew lives in San Francisco but my sister and the rest of her family still lives in New Jersey. My nephew's bride to be is from the San Francisco area.

We left home at 6:00 am yesterday morning, took off from Newark airport at 9:30 am, flew for 5 1/2 hours and due to the miracle of time zones landed at 12:30. We hung out at the hotel for a few hours and went to the rehersal dinner at Boudin near the Embarcadero Center. Very much like New York and Boston, San Francisco is alive with a vitality that can only be found in a few very special cities. Without doubt, S F is one of those cities.

The wedding is this evening at the Ritz-Carlton. Tomorrow and Tuesday Liz and I are going to visit and revisit some of our favorite places from past visits, and on Wednesday we fly home (and will lose all of those hours we gained flying here).

What are you doing on the Labor Day weekend?
Old 09-01-2013, 10:48 AM
Former Moderator

Received 622 Likes on 376 Posts

Have a great time, Rob! SF is a great city.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:27 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Rob,
don't plan on crossing over the Bay Bridge. This is the switchover weekend to the new one and it's closed. SB open tomorrow morning.
Any plans to visit the wine country? I'd come down the hill to meet you in the flesh!
Have a nice wedding, and enjoy the Bay Area! It's a short stay for all the miles you flew.
Dean AKA Morris
Old 09-01-2013, 11:45 AM

Received 2,757 Likes on 1,649 Posts

If you have not done it, take the ferry to Sausalito. It's a gorgeous view of the city from the water and you pass Alcatraz. Have lunch in Sausalito (cool place with the houseboats), then ferry back.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Morris
Rob,
don't plan on crossing over the Bay Bridge. This is the switchover weekend to the new one and it's closed. SB open tomorrow morning.
Any plans to visit the wine country? I'd come down the hill to meet you in the flesh!
Have a nice wedding, and enjoy the Bay Area! It's a short stay for all the miles you flew.
Dean AKA Morris
Dean

We'd love to come up to wine country and visit with you but we're only here for two days and we have some family obligations. Next time. We'll be back. I love SF.

It was a lot of miles but my sister and I are very close. I wouldn't miss it. I just wish the airplane seats were a bit more comfortable. Now I know how sardines feel.

Jim

You are absolutely right. SF is a great city. I could live here.

Deb,

We were in Sausalito the last time we were here. You're right, it is very nice. I wish we had more time here but we take off for home 8:30 Wednesday morning.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:22 PM

Received 2,714 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Rob, I wish I were going...My daughter lives south of the city in Half Moon Bay and I miss her, my grandson and her husband.

Enjoy yourself.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:26 PM

Received 3,182 Likes on 1,749 Posts

Wow, what a fancy wedding it must be. I've never been to one held at a place like the Ritz-Carlton. Tell us about it, Rob.

I've been trying to get my new car fixed up and my old one ready to sell. I'm getting there but need AutoTrader.com to take the frigg'n ad.

It's still hot and humid here. Enough already. I got 35 miles in yesterday, on the ElliptiGO, finishing in the dark, but it wiped me out. My back aches and my feet hurt. I am having a colonoscopy next Wednesday so I can't take the ibuprofen I want.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Kyras
Wow, what a fancy wedding it must be. I've never been to one held at a place like the Ritz-Carlton. Tell us about it, Rob.

I've been trying to get my new car fixed up and my old one ready to sell. I'm getting there but need AutoTrader.com to take the frigg'n ad.

It's still hot and humid here. Enough already. I got 35 miles in yesterday, on the ElliptiGO, finishing in the dark, but it wiped me out. My back aches and my feet hurt. I am having a colonoscopy next Wednesday so I can't take the ibuprofen I want.
Patty,

The wedding was quite fancy. The ceremony was in an enclosed tent in the court yard and the reception was in the hotel's ballroom. Both families, my sister and the brides, are very successful so money wasn't an issue. To put it mildly it was quite a wedding.

We're staying in the Ritz-Carlton. It is quite luxurious, but at these prices it should be. My sister, her family, and we are staying here. There were 160 guests at the wedding, 30 from the groom's (my nephew) side and 120 from the brides side.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:45 AM

Received 3,182 Likes on 1,749 Posts

Rob, that sounds like a wonderful wedding and experience for the guests. I'm happy that you're living it.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:19 AM

Received 783 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
Rob, that sounds like a wonderful wedding and experience for the guests. I'm happy that you're living it.