S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Saints among us - Let's hear it for the people who care for us

Old 02-23-2018, 04:49 AM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts
Default Saints among us - Let's hear it for the people who care for us

We may have all had experiences with arrogant doctors who don't listen to what a patient is telling them, crabby nurses, nurse's aids, or surly office staff. I've dealt with them all over the years, and just moved on to where I felt I'd get a better connection.

This week I feel the need to pass on a little praise to our health care system and some of the providers.

My elderly family member who was mentioned in another thread is now getting the proper attention. I don't know that his problems will ever be solved or if he will ever be well, but right now he is in such good hands we are all relieved. He has a particular nurse's aid he met along the way, with whom he had a special connection, and she is now working at the facility where he is. She is already reaching him in ways others have not been able to. I think part of this is she treats him as the person he is, not just another patient.

I have nothing but praise for all staff I encountered at a local hospital recently while another family member was hospitalized. They were ALL kind, caring, polite, informative and helpful. Of course it doesn't hurt to treat these people as you'd want to be treated.

Finally my own doc with whom I have a good relationship. I went in to get a quick check with her due to some asthma issues that I wasn't certain were resolving. She realizes I know my body. She listens to what I'm telling her. She doesn't yell at me when I say "no thanks" to standing on the scale in her office at 4:00 PM She realizes if my asthma kicks in, it's OK that she's given me some meds to keep on hand to start treatment as she knows I'm smart enough to call for an appointment if things don't improve.

We all have to be our own advocates, or the advocates for our loved ones when health issues surface. It sure helps to be that advocate when the people you are dealing with listen to you and get the full picture of what is going on.

So if you know a nurse, nurse's aid, a doc or other medical professional, give them a hug from me next time you see them and say thanks for caring.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:53 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I just saw my doc yesterday for my annual physical. Once you and the doc know each other, it really can become a good relationship. I appreciate the people who do this work and often wonder how they can do it. In another thread we are talking about what teachers will and won't do. I'll step up right now and say I would not ever want to do what the nurses and nurses aides have to do in hospitals. God bless them.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:59 AM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
I just saw my doc yesterday for my annual physical. Once you and the doc know each other, it really can become a good relationship. I appreciate the people who do this work and often wonder how they can do it. In another thread we are talking about what teachers will and won't do. I'll step up right now and say I would not ever want to do what the nurses and nurses aides have to do in hospitals. God bless them.
Me too, Bill. When Rick's mother was suffering/dying from Alzheimer's we met some incredible staff members. I often wonder how they do what they do.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:26 AM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

With my late wife being sick for 25 years we had our share of people in the medical profession. I would have to say that the majority were good, kind people. There were some that you never needed or wanted to see again due to there attitude. There were some that were true saints and you couldn't heap enough praise on. Sadly it was the few jerks that you remember the most!

When I had my bypass surgery the critical care nurse was one of those saints.

I agree with Bill that I would never want to be a nurse or nurse's aid. Even the jerks have a shitty job!
Old 02-23-2018, 04:06 PM

Received 771 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
I agree Bill. My Mom's last days in the hospital were difficult but she was treated with dignity and respect from the nursing staff and Hospice. They made her and us very comfortable until the end. Yes, God bless them.