S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

S2KI and Facebook connection

Old 04-29-2010, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't believe that car made it off the tarmack and onto grass

I'm on Facebook because it's the only way to correspond with some of my family and a few old friends I now live very far away from.

Opening an S2000 meet to NON S2000s has always been on a case by case basis, no reason that should change.

The kids with the Civic Si at our last Upstate drive were respectful and provided us some great pics and video.

And of course the S2000 owner who brought his BMW on the drive.... Should have been behind the Civic IMO.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:10 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

I'm registered on FB and log in to check out the live feed to which I subscribed. If I check in from time to time that's enough for me. With that being said, I fail to see the importance or non-importance of FB and feel it is over-hyped and is not the end-all be-all for social networking. I have a few FB friends with whom I enjoy a connection but I could care less about the inane comments, etc. and have little time for reading every single thing everyone is doing. I enjoy S2ki wayyyy more and have established friendships here that are fulfilling and very meaningful to me (you know who you are LOL). What little time I have for social interface on the www is spent here. FB is just a look-see. I know full well that the LAST thing I want is notification by cellphone every time someone on FB changes a status or brushes his/her teeth. That's just my opinion and I would never criticize someone whose opinion differs from mine. As to twitter -- tweet away without concern that I'm stalking you there.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:13 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

One more aside, whatever happened to living life in person? Are future generations doomed to spending all their time in the virtual world? As for me, give me some real live face time and/or a chat on the phone if I can't see you in person. Whatever happened to spending an afternoon with your friends or having a neat little lunch and walk after? Sorry, but walking with a cellphone and peeping at the screen everytime the phone vibrates is not my idea of living life.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:34 AM

Received 3,223 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Apr 29 2010, 07:44 AM
I believe you are failing to see the big picture...

Yes, clearly, the S2000 is not a just released vehicle, and the popularity of it continues to drop. However, there are lots and lots of people out there shopping for used S2000's so google searches for S2000 are not as uncommon as you might think.

My concern is non-S2000 owners get attracted to the Facebook account where S2000 activities are advertised. I'm well aware there are securities and verifications that can be put in place to try and attempt to verify S2000 ownership, but seriously, it is not hard to lie when the person doing so does not care about the truth.
Doug, I can always use a laugh...

We've hosted local drives and have included a friend of Rick's who had a Miata, a former S2000 owner who had a Porsche, and a friend with a Z. Not a problem. Granted we knew these people.

As far as getting a ton of unwanted "guests" at a drive/event, you have a good ideas for keeping thing from getting out of hand.

IMHO, you may be worrying needlessly. Half the kids who drive cars as you pictured, can't commit to dinner next Saturday, never mind showing up for an event on Sunday.

Besides, they'd probably blow up their motors by the time they could traverse the large area that encompasses Upstate NY!
Old 04-29-2010, 04:36 AM

Received 3,223 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by valentine,Apr 29 2010, 08:13 AM
One more aside, whatever happened to living life in person? Are future generations doomed to spending all their time in the virtual world? As for me, give me some real live face time and/or a chat on the phone if I can't see you in person. Whatever happened to spending an afternoon with your friends or having a neat little lunch and walk after? Sorry, but walking with a cellphone and peeping at the screen everytime the phone vibrates is not my idea of living life.
An acquaintance was speaking of his daughter's upcoming date. He said he didn't know what she and the young man would talk about on the date, as all they seem to do is text one another.

Maybe they aren't planning on talking?
Old 04-29-2010, 04:41 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Oh, one more little thought: why should I care about whether John Doe in Paducah likes something or not?
Old 04-29-2010, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to have friends "in person" but it's hard when you live so far away from everyone you know. Another reason to find a job again, be able talk to people outside the house.

Unfortunately most women my age have kids which eat most of their time and VERY different interests. Not many women want to talk about track days, driving shoes, or the best way to remove water spots from your car
Old 04-29-2010, 05:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lainey,Apr 29 2010, 07:34 AM
IMHO, you may be worrying needlessly.
Believe me, I understand that, and I too suspect that might be the case, I just don't want to find myself having to deal with a lot of crap...

And for both you and Ellen, yes, a case by case situation for other cars being involved, I totally agree, don't make me post pics of our Upstate S2000 runs with the Maxima and or the NSX running at the back. Case by case is fine, I just have this big concern that once our events are on Facebook all sorts of people will show up because they think it is an opportunity to go blasting through the country at high rates of speed, and that to me is the fastest way to destroy all that we have worked so hard to build up over these many, many years.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by valentine,Apr 29 2010, 07:13 AM
Are future generations doomed to spending all their time in the virtual world?

Whatever happened to spending an afternoon with your friends or having a neat little lunch and walk after?

Sorry, but walking with a cellphone and peeping at the screen everytime the phone vibrates is not my idea of living life.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey,Apr 29 2010, 07:34 AM
Half the kids who drive cars as you pictured, can't commit to dinner next Saturday, never mind showing up for an event on Sunday.
I understand what you mean, and you are right, but there is the other side of the fence given that your perception IS TRUE.

They are not planners, they don't read things in detail. It's Friday night, Saturday is going to be nice, hey look, there is an S2000 drive tomorrow near us, let's go check it out. There, no communication to the forum, no following a process, just a wonderful amount of crap I have to deal with on Saturday morning trying to say to these guys no, you are not invited, and then having to deal with the repercusions.

Trust me, I can live without that crap...

Quick Reply: S2KI and Facebook connection