S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

S2KI and Facebook connection

Old 07-30-2010, 04:57 AM
Community Organizer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras,Jul 29 2010, 05:35 PM
That doesn't always work out. My son lives in central California, my daughter lives in Northern California and I live in Southern California. We don't get to hang out together very often, so Facebook is a good way to see what's up. I know other adults who are on it, too, just to keep informed about some of their young relatives. It is good for that.
Valid points for sure Patty. I just am not sure I am willing to give up some privacy for family to have a sense of being "closer". Now things could change in the next week or so as our little one arrives and we see how best to keep extended family in the loop.

The new privacy settings have certainly helped take some of my concern away.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:31 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,547 Likes on 1,917 Posts

Originally Posted by HannibalACP82,Jul 30 2010, 05:57 AM
Valid points for sure Patty. I just am not sure I am willing to give up some privacy for family to have a sense of being "closer". Now things could change in the next week or so as our little one arrives and we see how best to keep extended family in the loop.

The new privacy settings have certainly helped take some of my concern away.
I know what you mean about privacy! The first thing I did was click on everything I could find, to limit who saw my info. I made it for my "friends" only, who I have to let be my "friends". Still, that wasn't good enough, as someone I don't want anything to do with was posting comments that I could read. A friend, who is also on fb, told me how to block that person entirely, sort of like "ignore" here, but even better. I'm not sure if that blocks my comments (on photos) for that person, or not.

I'm still learning that site. Like Gene's quote of me, I didn't want to join fb, but I find I am enjoying learning more about my kids and some other young people I know but haven't seen since I moved. It's also given me a new way to communicate with my kids, by leaving comments on each others photos. In two weeks my daughter will fly down to see me and I'll drive us up to see my son/her brother. Don't know that fb had much to do with that but it might have helped.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:32 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,547 Likes on 1,917 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene,Jul 30 2010, 05:35 AM
And look who's on Facebook now!
^Yeah, I do change my mind on things sometimes. You know. Women are like that.

Originally Posted by OhioRacer,Apr 27 2010, 04:30 PM
I'm on Facebook and proud of it. Even have the app on my iPhone. I keep my "friends" list pretty small but I have had the pleasure of connecting with some old friends I had lost touch with. It's a great site for that. Plus I can see what my kids are up to. I will ocassionally wax philosophical as I used to do here back in the day. Might post an occasional musical lyric or two that speaks to my mood for the day. I don't understand why people here are so opposed to it. I use it similarly to the way you all use s2ki. What's the difference? You're communicating with friends right? Same there.
^Oh, and I think Carmen's post helped change my mind.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:26 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Othen than just the time drain, this kind of stuff scares me, privacy settings notwithstanding:

100 million personal profiles leaked

The specifics here aren't too bad, but the potential is what bothers me.

LONDON: The personal details of 100 million users of social networking website Facebook are now available for download after they were leaked
online.

Ron Bowles, an online security consultant, used a code to scan Facebook profiles, collected data not hidden by users’ privacy settings, and compiled a list, which is now available as a downloadable file, containing the URL of every “searchable” Facebook user’s profile, their name and unique ID, the BBC reported on Thursday.

Bowles said he published the data to highlight privacy issues, but Facebook retorted by saying the information was already public.

“People who use Facebook own their information and have the right to share only what they want, with whom they want, and when they want,” the website said.

“In this case, information that people have agreed to make public was collected by a single researcher and already exists in Google, Bing, other search engines, as well as on Facebook.” “No private data is available or has been compromised,” Facebook said.

The list has already been downloaded by over 1,000 people on Pirate Bay, the world’s biggest file-sharing website.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:52 AM

Received 3,223 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by JonasM,Jul 30 2010, 11:26 AM
Othen than just the time drain, this kind of stuff scares me, privacy settings notwithstanding:

Yeah it scares me too. I'm not sure why I still use Facebook. I have all my settings adjusted so only my friends can see what I post in threads and for pics, but it's still a bit "out there".

I accept friend requests from only those I know. I don't need 2000 friends.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:55 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,669 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by JonasM,Jul 30 2010, 11:26 AM

I'm concerned about the privacy issues, as well, Jonas. That's why I don't post anything about my plans, or personal life, even though I have my privacy settings to "friends only" or "only me". I realize that there are ways around this, however.

I often see posts from friends, with links to their friends, and see some pictures and personal information that I'm sure they wouldn't want me to see. When you check their profile, it always says "___ shares their information with everyone.

Like Patty posted, there are ways to "ignore" the inane comments from those you don't want to see.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:55 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 377 Posts

Yeah, on Vintage we don't need Facebook to chat and keep up. So I do Facebook mostly for family -- which are scattered from Australia to Germany to Florida and California. I post mostly photos for them.

Otherwise it is overkill.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:19 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,669 Likes on 860 Posts

Here's some more info regarding Jonas' post above, plus a link to how you can make sure your privacy settings are truly private. I thought mine were OK until I read this article and found a couple more changes that I had missed. FB hides/buries their privacy controls so that it is extremely difficult to know if you've adjusted them all.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,972 Likes on 1,758 Posts

The other reason I don't get involved is it's just too much time online. This website is enough for me. Plus the newspapers, etc, I read online now.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I check Facebook MANY times a day during the summer. During the rest of the year, I am on it for a short time in the morning and every evening. I like to know what is going on in people's lives that I am friends with.

Quick Reply: S2KI and Facebook connection