S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Retirement plan status

Old 02-24-2017, 02:29 PM

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
^
I like the idea of spending some time doing volunteer work...maybe a few hours in the afternoon. Will look into what interests me when the time comes.
I work with our Environmental Commission and a Citizens Advisory Panel with the local petro-chemical industry. I do some work for Widener University, there is a lot of stuff you can get involved with when the time comes.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:54 PM

Received 5,755 Likes on 3,391 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
My co worker who retired after 30 years here has not stepped foot in the shop since he left. He doesn't miss it at all. We keep in touch by text and the occasional lunch. Not sure I'd visit once I leave....
Everyone is different. I have gone to retirement parties for those who were behind me. I have gone back to visit my old Corp once to tour the new building. Otherwise, its all in the past. We were with two couples tonight from those days but never once did we mention where we use to work. Its history for them as well.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:08 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,747 Posts

So what is everyone's status right now? I finally ended my relationship after four years with the company I was working for part time. The amount of work had dwindled. So I'm considering my options, including maybe something in the legal field. I managed a law library and did legal research before I got into the computer field. Another option is to do nothing.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:59 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

The plan is to retire at the end of the 1st quarter in 2018. Two things could mess that up.
1) I see an orthopedist in two weeks about my hips. If I need replacements, I'll work until they are done.
2) The company I work for is up for sale. Potential buyers came through looking two weeks ago. If it sells, not sure what that will mean. No change, lay off, or early separation package.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:03 AM

Received 3,190 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
So what is everyone's status right now? I finally ended my relationship after four years with the company I was working for part time. The amount of work had dwindled. So I'm considering my options, including maybe something in the legal field. I managed a law library and did legal research before I got into the computer field. Another option is to do nothing.
Rick turned 65 this year. His plan is to work until next June. At that time, depending on the conversation/options he will either retire or cut his hours, right now I'm voting he retires. He will have no trouble keeping busy in the summer, he might have to re-think a bit in the bad weather. As for me, I'd leave tomorrow. However, health insurance will likely keep me here until at least 63 1/2 or 64. After that, we'll think of something until I turn 65. You cannot buy time and time is passing quickly Neither one of us wants to to this "day to day" work thing any more.

We continue to save and recently I took some profits from a fund that has done very well for us and moved the $ into very conservation options. This upswing of the stock market can't last forever.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:47 AM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

I'm still having a bit of trouble with this retirement thing. I need more to do and I haven't found the right combination yet.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:18 AM

Received 3,190 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
I'm still having a bit of trouble with this retirement thing. I need more to do and I haven't found the right combination yet.
As in too much time on your hands? That S must need a good wash/wax for all those road trips.

I actually emailed a local animal shelter yesterday to offer to take photos of pets up for adoption. Not sure they need/want me, but I think I can do better than some of the photos they had on line. I don't have much time to spare now, but I'd like to give something like that a try.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:14 AM

Received 1,566 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Okay, I'm 42. . . and it's good to read everything y'all have to say. My advisor says I'm in good shape. . . and could be in great shape if I chose to retire somewhere else (read: Trunkie you idiot, your net worth is all wrapped up in your home). My main concern is weathering a few more recessions before I retire. As far as what to do with my time, I'd probably keep playing Horn.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:33 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm on the fence. I either leave the end of this year or the end of next year.

I'm with Lainey. Time is becoming a more precious commodity. While I have thoroughly enjoyed my career, I find myself growing tired of practicing law. There are several other things I'd rather be doing.

You really need to think about how many years you have left that you can expect to be healthy enough to do the things you really want to do in retirement. Even if your life expectancy is another 20 or 25 years, don't expect to be able to hike mountain trails when you are 80. You may not even be able to drive a car past the age of 80 let alone walk.

DON'T fall into the typical trap of telling yourself that you have plenty of time because you have a 90 year old uncle who can still ride bulls at the rodeo. For every bull riding uncle you probably have 10 relatives who died early or ended up in a nursing home at 87. Optimism is a great thing, but self delusion rarely pays off. Enjoy life while you are able.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:35 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by UnkieTrunkie
Okay, I'm 42. . . and it's good to read everything y'all have to say. My advisor says I'm in good shape. . . and could be in great shape if I chose to retire somewhere else (read: Trunkie you idiot, your net worth is all wrapped up in your home). My main concern is weathering a few more recessions before I retire. As far as what to do with my time, I'd probably keep playing Horn.

That, and posting on S2ki!!!

Quick Reply: Retirement plan status