S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

retirement

Old 02-11-2007, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mother has PD. When my Dad died, she bought a house close to my sister and is doing great. Ask the doctors to redo his drugs .... it toke year to manage my Mom's drugs.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interesting. tell me more about the meds. i go with him to talk to the doc. i think he's been taking them for so long that there is a tolerance built up.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:55 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

One of the major components of Parkinson's Disease is depression which in turn causes a personality change. These are due to chemical changes within the brain. The meds given to treat the symptoms of PD also cause some problems for many people. Show your dad how much you care and accompany him to his physician's office and point out the changes you've seen to his physician. Some people manage PD very well and others have a lot of problems in managing the changes it causes. Usually parkinson's worsens very slowly over time and people can stay mobile and independent for a good while before losing mobility. My father had PD as well and I know this is difficult for you and your father. You'll be in my thoughts and I find it admirable that you are demonstrating this concern. Above all, he needs to know how much you care about him and involve himself in physical therapy and programs to keep him mobile. I'd recommend that you go to the Parkinsons Disease Foundation website and inform yourself about this disease:

Parkinsons's Disease Foundation
Old 02-12-2007, 03:35 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,971 Likes on 1,757 Posts

Wow...that obviously makes a huge difference. Like Val, I'm a planner/doer and have become very involved in my parents' medical issues as well as those of my aunt. I think they really appreciate it, good days and bad, and it makes me feel as if I'm contributing something. Best of luck to you and your dad.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Val, you're spot on target and summarized perfectly. Do some research and gather info for your father. Portray the spectrum of effects and challenges to engage, rather than viewing his case as a worst-case-scenario. Help him remain in control over his life.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:53 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by RC - Ryder,Feb 12 2007, 10:10 AM
Help him remain in control over his life.
I could not agree more.
i think he's been taking them for so long that there is a tolerance built up.
As I understand the medication there is no tolerance buildup, but PD is a progressive disease, meaning the symptoms worsen with time. There are adjunct meds that can be given along with the meds he's already taking or perhaps his meds need adjustment. Be prepared to monitor the effects the meds have since medications that affect the brain chemistry are difficult to dose properly. Contact his physician immediately if he has negative effects. Again I admire your willingness to help your father. He really needs to know you care.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks again, Val.

this whole thing is just frustrating since my dad is a guy and you know how stubborn they can be. ive done my homework to the point where im annoying the doc with suggestions. but no matter how much i learn, my dad doesn't take initiative.

like i said, i know there is no real solution, but i thank you guys for the input.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:11 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dyhppy,Feb 14 2007, 06:42 AM
......but no matter how much i learn, my dad doesn't take initiative......
Is your Dad into the Internet? My bro has emphysema and has truly become his own advocate via online research. He finds out about the disease; experimental treatments and studies; medications; etc. There is only a small amout that he can DO, but this makes him feel in CONTROL of things a little more.

Also, going back to an earlier suggestion: Even with the PD, he might be able online to edit academic work in his own field....making a continuing contribution to the knowledge base.

If he hasn't read 'Tuesdays with Morrie' by Mitch Ablom, you should get a copy for him; it might give him some perspective. If he's still in touch with some former students, perhaps he can keep in touch to provide some mentoring....a win-win for both generations

As Val has counseled, the meds need further consideration. I'm not an advocate of over-medication, but it sounds like an anti-depressant might be worth a shot....to get him out of the hole he's in....