S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Requesting the wisdom of Vintage crew

Old 09-06-2013, 10:31 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Requesting the wisdom of Vintage crew

Okay, I need a sounding board.

A few weeks ago I was involved in a crash that totaled my daily driver, a 2007 Toyota Yaris two door hatchback which I had from new. No injuries, so that's wonderful, but I have to go find a replacement. Considering the insurance money I'll be getting and the cost difference between new and used, I have decided I will be buying new.

My criteria is that it be in the under $15k range, be a hatchback, manual transmission, easy to live with, and generally kind of cute. Yeah, I know the last two are pretty subjective. Its use will be my daily driver, will haul occasional tech equipment as needed (computers, monitors, a printer once in awhile), and generally be a rolling advertisement ala the Geek Squad style Beetles (only more colorful). I'll likely get another white car like I did with the Yaris since that works best with the partial vinyl wrap advertising that I put on the company vehicle.

All that stated, I have narrowed the field to:
Ford Fiesta
Mazda MAZDA2
Hyundai Accent
Kia Rio

You will notice I have opted not to include the Yaris again. I don't dislike the vehicle; I just think I want to do something different since I have the opportunity. I have not completely ruled another Yaris out though.

Anyway, here's the comparo from Edmunds.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-comparisons/?veh1=200466538|hatchback&veh2=200438363|hatchback &veh3=200422139|hatchback&veh4=200419054|hatchb ack

I have test driven the Fiesta (a few months ago) and it was surprisingly pleasant. The MAZDA2 was also reasonably pleasant. I haven't driven a current model Kia Rio, but drove one about a year or so ago and felt it had surprisingly more grunt than I had anticipated, but I need to drive the latest model for an apples to apples comparison. Haven't driven the Accent yet, but that (and the Rio) are on the list to go see this weekend.

On paper the horsepower of the Rio implies it has the most gumption. Nice, but not necessarily something that trumps all else. The cargo capacities are a bizarre group of measurements. Naturally I want as much as possible for the times I occasionally toss large boxes in it, but I think the biggest decider relating to hauling has to do with if the rear seats fold down flat. The Yaris, by the way, did really well in that respect, so I'm a little spoiled.

The standard warranty on the Kia and the Hyundai are both darned impressive and significantly better than the Ford or Mazda. I tend to put fewer miles than average per year on my cars, and I do tend to keep my cars awhile so chances are I'll get full benefit of the warranty.

The Kia has the highest cost of ownership for some reason. I can't fathom why, but according to Edmunds, insurance on it is higher than the others and the maintenance is higher too. *confused*

I'm needing people to sort of listen, ask questions pertaining to the options I've selected, and give feedback to help me in the process. I promise I'll let you know what I decide. It will have to happen pretty soon since I can't keep driving the freaking Lotus to client sites! LOL! I've become a freaking contortionist out of necessity (don't ask about why I didn't get a rental... I oh-so-wisely declined that coverage since I thought, "I have multiple cars... why would I need a rental?" HA!).

Thanks all!
Old 09-07-2013, 02:05 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

I have little wisdom to add except insurance premiums for vehicles are generally priced at the cost of repair and payout in the event of an accident. They apparently have numbers to suggest the Kia is more expensive to repair and/or injuries run higher. On another note the Hyundai gets a lot of praise and it is hard to ignore that warranty. Good luck with your search.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:52 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,949 Likes on 2,647 Posts

sorry Murph, can't offer much guidance in that range.

and don't beat yourself up about the rental coverage.
The moment they cut the check for your total their obligation to give you a replacement rental goes away.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:40 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Tough choice. I have heard good things about the Ford Fiesta, but I also know that an awful lot of people are buying, and liking the Kia and the Hyundai. I do understand your point about the Yaris, but I don't think I'd eliminate it from consideration.

Good luck whatever you choose.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:24 AM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

I would drive them all, and see what fit me best: power, seat comfort, legroom etc. Don't forget the visual, some might have blind spots. If they all came out the same I'd go with the Yaris, since I have had one Toyota or another constantly since 1976. They have never failed me.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:35 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

The Hyundai seems to fit your criteria well.

Besides the good wty that you mentioned, it also has a 6-speed to help move it along more quickly; and it's got 10% more EPA interior space (assuming it passes your "box test" ) Other s2ki owners have had good luck with various Hyundaiiii....mostly of the Genesis variety however.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,483 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Did you look at Consumer Reports? I always go there for the reliability before I buy any cars. I have the issues if you need me to look it up. I save them.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We looked at the Ford Fiesta for my wife (she didn't like it) and ended up going to a used car superstore and buying a car for her in the used market that we just absolutely love.

I suggest it as you included cute in your criteria........the MINI Cooper. Nothing fancy, no "S" in your price range. But, it's doable and you'd enjoy it so much more because it is so much more car (I call it the BMW "0" series).

This is doable even in LA. Right now, Bob Smith MINI (just an random example from AutoTrader) has a 2011 with 21k miles for $17k. I like the 2012 Auto, same miles for just under $18k. A private owner in Burbank has a white 2011 with 34k miles for $14k.

You might spend a bit more than your target, you'd be buying used, but the car is just a blast. I don' think there's a Fiesta club, but I guarantee there will be multiple MINI clubs out there.

Great mileage (a bit better than the Fiesta), but with premium. My wife gets 34 commuting to downtown Pittsburgh.

Just a thought. Have fun in LA........!!

Post-script......
Just checked your Profile and your About Me page. Your photo tells me you'll look good in any car you buy, but even more so in the MINI. Your About Me page with all the performance driving schools listed says.....buy a MINI........!!
Old 09-07-2013, 07:16 PM

Received 5,749 Likes on 3,386 Posts

You have listed 4 cars that certainly get lots of print and good reports. I would say go with your gut feelings. You can google and research the crap out of stuff but narrow it down and drive them. You can only do so much on the pc!
Old 09-07-2013, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why no love for the Fiat 500? Don't they offer a hatchback with MT in your price range? Like the MiINI, they have a personality all their.own and look pretty good with a nice vinyl wrap job. Fairly good MPG, too.

Quick Reply: Requesting the wisdom of Vintage crew