S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Replacing your tires?

Old 11-17-2005, 09:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris,Nov 17 2005, 10:45 AM
whatever tire you decide on, get a quote from Jim at Tirerack.
Too bad they don't sell Toyos....
Old 11-17-2005, 09:55 AM

Received 1,426 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris,Nov 17 2005, 02:45 PM
Rob (and Patty and everyone else)
whatever tire you decide on, get a quote from Jim at Tirerack. He has beat the price of everyplace I have looked. And I have ordered from him after noon and had the tires in my office the next day! (don't forget to add installation) I bought Michelins for my 4Runner as well as all 3 or 4 sets of tires for the S from him.
No- I don't get a commission.
I've ordered tires for my 4Runner, my TL and rear SO-2s from Tire-Rack and have never been disappointed. Great service, good prices.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:20 AM

Received 2,940 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper,Nov 17 2005, 01:55 PM
I've ordered tires for my 4Runner, my TL and rear SO-2s from Tire-Rack and have never been disappointed. Great service, good prices.
We just replaced the rears on ours at 18K. Could have gone longer, but why tempt the fates? We were glad to have new tires considering how rainy it was during the Vintage weekend in Lake George.

Rick also ordered from Tire Rack.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:23 AM

Received 765 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Nov 17 2005, 01:38 PM
Sorry to be brutally honest, but here goes...

If your alignment is really off and you need it redone with that frequency, the garage/dealer doing your alignment is doing a crappy job and I would never go back there again.

I'm running 3 to 4 driving schools per year, on R-compound tires so I would think it safe to say my car is being subjected to greater lateral g's than yours, and my alignment has not gone off since it was done more than a year and a half ago. Unless you are banging the car into things or over things with a good deal of force your alignment should not just go away. Are you 100% sure your alignments have been off? Has the garage/dealer been giving you the print outs from the alignment machine? Are you just asking for an alignment all the time and the garage/dealer sees you as a revenue stream?

Something does NOT sound right.
Yes, I do get a printout. As a matter of fact, I read on the forums here that our cars have a tendency to need to be realigned fairly often. Several times I've taken my car in to my shop and would ask to have the alignment checked and it was fine. However, brutal truth is the S2000 will eat tires if the alignment is not good. Another brutal truth is that it doesn't take a 12 inch pothole to knock your car out of alignment. My car is driven daily and is realigned every 8 - 9 months and it needs it, but I get it checked every time I get the tires flipped and get it realigned if the specs are off. Oh, and another thing: my tire pressures are checked frequently as well. My shop orders my tires for me and matches Tire Rack's price, checks my alignment free of charge, and flips my tires free of charge. I have no complaints about their charges and they do not see me as a revenue stream as anyone who knows me knows it is extremely difficult to separate me from my $$.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up on this thread, and I don't know if anyone has mentioned it or not, but he latest issue of Car & Driver did a comparison test of 11 different mfg of tires. I looked it over and thought that I would take a look at the Goodyear F1 tire the next time around. I don't know if they are available in a size for our stock 16" wheels, but the figures in the test looked good compared to the Potenza RE050. They did not compare the S02 Potenza.

The Kumho looked like a cheap alterative, and if I used my car as a daily driver, I would consider the Kumho just because of the price. Anyway, the article gives a good comparison of the tires under different conditions, wet/dry highway/autocross/skidpad etc. Depending on how you use your "S", any of a number of the tires tested would be good.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:27 AM

Received 3,151 Likes on 1,733 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris,Nov 17 2005, 10:45 AM
Rob (and Patty and everyone else)
whatever tire you decide on, get a quote from Jim at Tirerack. He has beat the price of everyplace I have looked. And I have ordered from him after noon and had the tires in my office the next day! (don't forget to add installation) I bought Michelins for my 4Runner as well as all 3 or 4 sets of tires for the S from him.
No- I don't get a commission.
I guess I'll try again there. Last time I compared, Costco was cheaper and included a lifetime rotation, balancing and road hazard warranty. I know, we don't use the rotation. Only problem is Costco won't be selling Goodrich after Dec. 31st so if I go have them put on the new tires, they won't have the tires for a possible road hazard warranty.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:35 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Nov 17 2005, 01:11 PM
Sorry, don't buy it for a second...

Aggressive negative camber will decrease the life of the tire because the inner edge wears at a nasty angle. You could have plenty of tread on the outer edge and be down to the cords on the inner edge. Even if you factor in flopping the tires on the wheels halfway through their lifespan, you would end up with greater wear on the outer edges and a big ridge of tread left in the center. A tire that runs flat on the road distributes the load/wear evenly, thus offers up longer life.
Well take another second.

Your basic statement is correct but the specific application to the S2000 has yet to be established. My 2 degrees of neg rear camber resulted in 16K miles plus. You seem to be saying the same thing about your car. 2 degrees is not that big a deal anyway and it could well be that this amount of negative camber serves to offset wear of the outer portion of the tire from cornering forces. I only have anecdotal support for this, but it is enough to make me wonder.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:52 AM

Received 5,317 Likes on 3,162 Posts

Rob,

After reading oh-so-many threads on alternate tire choices I am pretty convinced that nothing beats the stock tire if handling and dry grip are your number one priorities. If wear factor, price, wet handling, snow handling, or pure race tire are a higher priority than, and only then, do you need to look elsewhere.

I am currently on a full set of Avons that cost 50% less than a set of S02's. These are a performance tire but they can not match the S02's. They provide a slightly softer ride, more drift, and better all weather (except snow) grip; wear seems good to excellent. In short, they are a decent street but they fall short at the track. I will return to fold with my next set.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When it comes time to replace all four tires, I plan to go with something that has better wet grip. For me, using the car as a daily all-weather driver, having better wet grip and maybe a little better wear is of more importance than absolute dry grip. I don't track the car and I don't push it on the road to the absolute limit.

I've heard/read that the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 are nearly as good as the SO-2 if not better in the dry, and much better in the wet. I'm seriously leaning towards these as the being the best comprmise.

Tom
Old 11-17-2005, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dlq04,Nov 17 2005, 03:52 PM
After reading oh-so-many threads on alternate tire choices I am pretty convinced that nothing beats the stock tire if handling and dry grip are your number one priorities. If wear factor, price, wet handling, snow handling, or pure race tire are a higher priority than, and only then, do you need to look elsewhere.

(I do however have to say, there are a bunch of us out here who think the S-02 is also a great tire in the rain, as long as they are not nearly bald, and then virtually no tire is good...)

Quick Reply: Replacing your tires?