S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The remodeling/home improvement thread

Old 03-04-2013, 05:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That what I get for trying to post from a Droid ........ Lets try this again.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEAyI474ns8[/media]
Old 03-04-2013, 07:57 PM

Received 5,755 Likes on 3,391 Posts

This is a first taking pictures of one of my bathrooms... hey, fits, you asked

Hey Gene, looks like you went with the 'new' in color gray (at least it looks like it in the photos). Our walls in the bath are light gray and dark gray; although they don't show up too well in the photos. The same tile in the shower is on the floor.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:09 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

Nice job, CitBlue.

Love it Dave. I really love the cabinetry and the grays are so soothing. Beautiful.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:47 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

I like the way you did the shower shelf. That looks great.

fltsfshr
Old 03-05-2013, 04:59 AM

Received 3,190 Likes on 1,844 Posts

I like it, Dave!
Old 03-05-2013, 05:55 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,666 Likes on 858 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey' timestamp='[url="tel:1362491969"
1362491969[/url]' post='22381290]
I like it, Dave!
Very nice, Dave.
And to answer Dave's question, yes, the walls are "Comfort Gray," according to my +1.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:03 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,949 Likes on 2,647 Posts

I guess this belongs in the homeowners project thread...
Although it could have just as easily gone into a &*^$*&^% rant thread.

I get perpetually annoyed at the "professionals" who service heating systems, even the HVAC "consultants."
I pick their brains while their here and get little tidbits from each one.
Although I finally broke down and did my own *&^%*&%$ research.
I am remarkably vain but I'm not that smart and it isn't rocket science.
But the stream of crap I have heard and seen over the years.
I am not sure that in the 15 years since we owned the house it has ever been set up right.
Slowly over the last few weeks I have been making tweaks and changes to get ti there.
I added a larger expansion tank so the system wouldn't keep tripping the safety pop off valve.
Then I realized that given the height of the last system component, the initial pressure setting was wrong 12 PSI should have been ~20 PSI ( my bad, should have known better)
but.... the pressure reducing fill valve,which was at 12 PSI , has to equal the pressure tank and has been at 12 since day zero.

no one ever frickin' "designed" this system they just put it together....

SO why do I do these projects myself??? because it's the only way it eventually gets done right.

/ rant off...
Old 12-27-2013, 04:02 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

^^ Such is often the case. My husband shakes his head in wonder at some of the things we've discovered about our house. Amazing stuff!
Old 12-27-2013, 04:47 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 992 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
I guess this belongs in the homeowners project thread...
Although it could have just as easily gone into a &*^$*&^% rant thread.

I get perpetually annoyed at the "professionals" who service heating systems, even the HVAC "consultants."
I pick their brains while their here and get little tidbits from each one.
Although I finally broke down and did my own *&^%*&%$ research.
I am remarkably vain but I'm not that smart and it isn't rocket science.
But the stream of crap I have heard and seen over the years.
I am not sure that in the 15 years since we owned the house it has ever been set up right.
Slowly over the last few weeks I have been making tweaks and changes to get ti there.
I added a larger expansion tank so the system wouldn't keep tripping the safety pop off valve.
Then I realized that given the height of the last system component, the initial pressure setting was wrong 12 PSI should have been ~20 PSI ( my bad, should have known better)
but.... the pressure reducing fill valve,which was at 12 PSI , has to equal the pressure tank and has been at 12 since day zero.

no one ever frickin' "designed" this system they just put it together....

SO why do I do these projects myself??? because it's the only way it eventually gets done right.

/ rant off...
Here's my HVAC story--- When I moved in, the house was about 6 years old. The inspection came back with 'Don't know, you could get 5 years or 10 years before it needs to be dealt with.' Ok, no biggie, fine with that. Well, it's now 16 years later. I decided to take advantage of a state rebate program designed for housing efficiency, which is up to $5000 off based on the current efficiency and expected future efficiency. It includes insulation changes, some sealing, and HVAC components. On top of that, there's up to $10,000 in 0% loans available. I qualify for both, and will have an $80 or so monthly payment for 10 years, while getting a new H/E HVAC system, new insulation in the attic and basement plus some minor sealing in the garage and basement.

The company I chose is actually an insulation company, and they sub out the HVAC work. That person came by last week to take final measurements of my system and was just boggled by what was done by the builder. Here's the short version:

The vents go straight up and turn 90', which isn't efficient for airflow.
My vents are at about 1000 sq/in (c/in?), while the return is about 1/2 of that. When he was talking I actually connected the sucked in return pipe to the fact that it was under vacuum when the system runs.
I was curious as to why the return from upstairs connected to the main return to the unit, but there was about 3 feet of extra ductwork. Basically, it was cheaper to put two 8' spans and cap it, then cut it to the right length!

Then, I asked if about the furnace size and proximity to the wall. He said it could be right next to it (giving me about an extra 18" or so of the basement back. But no.... The radon pipe is right behind it, halfway along the wall, 12 inches or so from the wall. ... Why not put it near a corner, out of the way?

Then, we were looking at options to increase the return to better match the vents. We could widen it by a few inches.except that a gas line runs right next to the ductwork, and has a whole foot on the other side of it? Now we have to lower it, watch out, duck!

I've already moved my gas line once, since the washer and dryer were in one part of the basement - a nice 15' square area, next to another 12' square area, while the rest of the utilities and mechanicals were in a third 10x20 area.

I think what I've known, but didn't want to really acknowledge is that builders do their best to cut every corner and squeeze every last dollar out, which may include hiring the normal worker and not the good or great one, as well as removing any semblance of coordination while working to say 'Hey- wouldn't this be better if.....?' Or, what would I want if I lived here.

On the bright side, I'm done with my mold remediation project in the basement, and other than doing something with a recessed window that was replaced and has to dealt with, things are back to normal. Pics eventually.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:29 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,949 Likes on 2,647 Posts

I haven't seen it for a while but Holmes on Homes was a good show, but I almost always hated to watch it.
He point out all of the incredibly stupid crap builders would do.

While I'm in total agreement that they are trying to squeeze every last penny out of the deal,
I think just plain dumb-ass incompetence goes way further in explaining it.

Quick Reply: The remodeling/home improvement thread