S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The remodeling/home improvement thread

Old 11-12-2006, 05:05 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,954 Likes on 1,748 Posts

^ Right...over the cooktop is where the current one is. The new one will be right above the lower oven, at shoulder level more or less. We have two wall ovens now, but they are being moved in the new layout. I also like the fact that the coils in the lower oven are hidden below the bottom, so they are not visible/sticking up. Opens the space more, and means no burning yourself accidentally. Very ! I think some of the appliances "talk", also. I hope it's in English, not German. I have an old freestanding large microwave that will serve as the principal cooking device while the renovation is going on. It won't die, either, and I'm glad for that.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:18 AM
Member (Premium)

BTW, pepperoni, your fireplace is going to look wonderful! I have alot of respect for peeps who can do all kinds of cool projects themselves. I'm not one of them. I would rather pay for someone who knows what he is doing to get it right the first time. For example, on the new kitchen! The designer/architect is terrific, and he has worked with the same contractor for eight years on kitchen renovations. So I have confidence they will deliver. I didn't make any changes to the design - it was that good.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:43 AM

Received 3,191 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04,Nov 12 2006, 08:49 AM
Microwave comment. We were considering an over the range microwave to free up counter space. Our current microwave is a big countertop one we purchased 21 years ago for $220 (I looked it up). It just won't die. My wife changed her mind about the overhead one after talking to a friend who had 3rd degree burns from spilling hot food when taking it out of an overhead. We were discussing this with our contractor and he said the trend is to build them in lower, probably for that reason.
Yeah, we always had ours over the stove, but it was not at proper height. Now it is, and it's difficult for me to reach. Never gave that a thought.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:51 AM
Member (Premium)

Not that this makes that much difference to peeps who like to do their own work/save money, but you can't write off your own labor on your taxes, when you go to subtract your renovations from your home's cost basis for capital gains purposes. You can write off someone else's though. Just a thought...I think I am going to be able to write off enough renovations on my old condo to help me avoid capital gains taxes this year on the sale. In other words, I need (filing single) to get my profit below $250K to avoid capital gains taxes on the difference. That might not offset the cost you save on doing projects yourselves (keeping in mind how much your time is worth), but it doesn't hurt.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky,Nov 13 2006, 05:18 AM
BTW, pepperoni, your fireplace is going to look wonderful!
Thanks! I hope so.
We cut and mortared the hearth tiles down yesterday. It went pretty smoothly once I got a tile saw that actually worked. The first one I rented had a dull blade that took 15 minutes to cut a 18" tile. After an hour of cutting only 3 tiles, I took it back and got another saw. Much better. I still need to get the diamond mesh on the wall so I can get the stone up.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ms Perky, Consider getting an electric wok (110v) to supplement your kitchen away from kitchen. I spent almost an entire year of grad school sans kitchen (long story) and cooked EVERYTHING in an electric wok. I think decent non-stick versions can be had for under $50.

On my own renovation note, I just made an offer on a 1956 built CBS home which has not had ANY interior work done since the 1970's (It's on almost a full acre with deeded river-to-ocean access at the end of the street -3 lots away) I have a couple of pics here on my camera... some pretty serious updating is required.

I've never done a major home renovation, though I have managed a couple of multi million $ ship renovations so I'm quite familiar with being behind schedule and over budget.
Though I'm not retired yet, I do have the advantage of having large blocks of time off from work.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:12 AM
Member (Premium)

Yes, I can see you do have some work to do! But it's all worth it when you have location, location, location. That's how I'm justifying the cost of the new kitchen. I read an article quoting Renovation Magazine (something like that) that said that 20 of 22 common renovations (kitchens, baths, adding space, etc) return *more* than 100% at resale in the DC area, unlike most places in the country. For instance, a medium-end kitchen renovation returns 115% and a high-end kitchen 105%. And we will be in this condo for at least 10 more years, so having what I want counts for alot, too, regardless of the cost.

That electric wok idea is a good one. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2006, 05:19 AM

Received 5,757 Likes on 3,392 Posts

Captain - I recognize the "Bird Calls Clock" over the sink.

My son bought us one since my wife is into feeding birds BIG time. We put it in our kitchen to show our appreciation.

Fortunately I was able to relocate it into my art room after our remodeling.....

He got such a kick out it the next year he bought one with sounds of fish flooping in the water. That one went directly to the garage. Whenever someone is looking at my cars for the first time and hears the sound like water flushing they look at me wondering what the heck was that! Oh, that was just a bass jumping.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dave,
My mother has one of those squaking clocks as well. She also collects cuckoo clocks, whenever I spend the night at her house (which I do whenever she has some project to do beyond the capabilities of a 72 YO lady) I get my sleep in 1 hour blocks. .....
I've been fishing my whole life and have never really noticed that different fish have different splashes Maybe I'll get one of those for my garage (once I BUILD it)
Cheers,
Mike
Old 11-19-2006, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We finally finished the fireplace this weekend. What a PITA when you don't have the right materials, but it's done and we think it turned out pretty good.
Mrs. pepperoni wants to re-stain the mantle a darker finish, so besides the other fireplace we're installing in the family room, that will be the next project. The granite counter tops have been put on hold until after holiday bonus checks come out..

Quick Reply: The remodeling/home improvement thread