S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The remodeling/home improvement thread

Old 10-05-2006, 10:13 AM

Received 3,190 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Looking good. We'll expect pics of the project in addition to the Gettysburg pics upon your return home.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jonas, that drain looks like what I had planned on doing. Our driveway slopes downhill, and twice in the past 6 years we've had water damage in the house because of water coming in thru the garage and down the steps into our family room.

I had actually paid a guy to do it, but he ran off with my money and left me with a set of concrete tools, but no drain.

Maybe I should just do it myself
Old 10-09-2006, 09:28 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Well, the driveway is beautiful:

But the drain situation is not so pretty. As it turns out, there was no place low enough anywhere near the driveway to tie into a drain line, so they had to dig all the way up to the front of the house near the front corner downspout.

They're still out there - I'm hoping that they finish today. We get rain here tomorrow.....

JonasM
Old 10-09-2006, 12:10 PM

More carnage:

JonasM
Old 10-14-2006, 08:06 AM

Today they came to put a new roof on the garage. I had the house done about 5 or 6 years ago, and now it's time for the garage to match. Of course, just like last time I had roofers over, it had to start snowing!

JonasM
Old 10-14-2006, 09:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A project 10+ years in the making. We moved in the house in May 95 and I wanted to do something in the area behind the garage..... hence, after gathering 150 block, 650 bricks, 8000 pounds of sand, 4000 pounds of cement, 1 roll of reinforcing wire, 9 section of 20 foot 2 inch fence pipe, 5.5 yard of concrete, 10 pieces of 2x3 ft stone and 9 neighbors..... I finished this up a couple of weeks ago .... And the best part was the block, brick, stone, fence pipe and neighbors were free..................... oh yeah ...... and my weekend labor

Before

the outline

The footing

The neighbors

The finished product
Old 10-22-2006, 03:18 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,747 Posts

Well, yesterday we went to Poggenpohl to discuss the upgrade of the kitchen. I had seen the cabinets I wanted from the street walking by their store in Georgetown, but didn't know anything about them or anything else Poggenpohl offers. Had a great convo with the designer. He is coming Monday to look at the old kitchen, after which he will submit a design (takes about a week). If we approve the design, they get to work ordering, tearing out the old stuff, and then installing.

Everything is European. The cabinets look very traditional, but the technology behind them is absolutely amazing, as is the technology behind the appliances. A whole lot has happened in kitchens since I last renovated one, and I have never done new cabinets.

The whole project from contract to finish takes 14 weeks. The key is getting the contractor's time booked, but they guaranteed it will be done when they say it will be done, which is a huge issue, as anyone who has contracted out something knows. It turns out his favorite kitchen that he has done is in our building, so we will get to see that one.

I told him what I wanted to spend on this project - it may go over, but I'm hoping not by much. Since the cabinets are so expensive (naturally they turned out to be the most expensive ones they carry - - thank goodness it's a small kitchen), we will compromise some on the bells and whistles of the applicances. I'm not changing the floor. It is kind of a variegated rose colored Mexican tile, and I've already picked out a couple of granite countertop colors that will look wonderful with it.

Anywho, I'll be posting before and after pics as this project moves along. I'm very excited about how it is going to look. To be cont'd.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:04 AM

Received 3,190 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Looking forward to the pics, Deb.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure you guys will love it once it's done!

Good luck
Old 10-23-2006, 07:29 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,747 Posts

Vito has taken some "before" pics, so I'll post them soon. Looking for completion in February. Have to see tonight how long we'll be without a functioning kitchen. I'm hoping they can work around the refrigerator, pull it out from the wall, so we can have some food in the house, even if it is cold food. I do have an old stand-alone microwave, so can use that.

Quick Reply: The remodeling/home improvement thread