S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The remodeling/home improvement thread

Old 10-04-2006, 01:41 PM

Received 5,755 Likes on 3,391 Posts

I'm happy to report my Home Depot counter top is now in the waste heap. Everything went smooth installing the black galaxy granite top today. The floor tiles were delivered to our local vendor and that install begins after I return from PA. Finally, things are going right.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:53 PM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Good deal, Dave! I've followed your adventures in this thread. Must be nice to be past it all...

On my home front, some of you saw my back driveway and garage:

Some of the lumber that filled the back section, barely leaving room for Virginija's Accord:

Partway through the cleanout process. The driveway crack (one of several) is clearly visible:

I rented a dumpster, and made good use of it:

Finally after about 10 days of effort, the garage is clean: (notice the mud & water right at the entrance of the garage - that's what I intend to fix.

While I'm at it, this area could use some improvement (on the right side of the garage):

And, along the driveway, the ivy has taken over (not to mention the stumps and scrap firewood that have accumulated there:

Looking back at the deck from the open garage:

You might be able to tell how the driveway is graded to move all water into the garage. In effect, the garage floor is the lowest point on my property. Not conducive to having it stay clean & dry.

Yesterday a bunch of workers came to tear up the existing garage floor, and the entire driveway section in the back, up to the fence on the property line. The area on the side of the garage will be paved, and I hope to be able to park my Fit there (if it ever comes in), while the S stays nice & dry in the garage over the winter. Also, we'll be widening the driveway in front of the garage.

Today they finished tearing everything up, and most of the area is ready for concrete. I'll post some photos of that tomorrow.

JonasM
Old 10-04-2006, 02:55 PM

Received 3,190 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04,Oct 4 2006, 05:41 PM
I'm happy to report my Home Depot counter top is now in the waste heap. Everything went smooth installing the black galaxy granite top today. The floor tiles were delivered to our local vendor and that install begins after I return from PA. Finally, things are going right.
We'll be waiting for pics!
Old 10-04-2006, 04:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Geothermal heat/ac, has anyone done it?

I was checking into it today and found that the equipment prices were basically the same as traditional heat/ac but the cost to install the "heat sink" in the ground/well/or pond was exhorbitant.

$20,000 for the well bed big enough to handle 10 tons of AC. I have 3 acres so I thought I had enough space for a horizontal closed loop system (buried in the ground, but they say it takes 2,000-4,000 feet of piping.

I have a pond that is 200' x 50' x 15' deep and I am told that's only good for about 5 tons.

What's a fellow to do?
Old 10-04-2006, 07:23 PM

Received 5,755 Likes on 3,391 Posts

Jonas, that's impressive. At first I thought you were trying to get a Work Crew together when you started showing one problem after another. How do you plan to solve the water runoff problem?

Lainey, me too.

Wild, I love natural gas.... as for geo, I have never personally heard a good story but then I'm in MI.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:59 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,747 Posts

Big projects y'all have going...I will be remodeling the kitchen before too long. It is the original from 1986, so definitely needs upgrading. Fortunately, any money spent on this condo will be worth it. And I expect it to be expensive. There is a store in Georgetown called Poggehpohl. It's a German company - pretty high end. I was walking past there the other day with the +1 and saw some gorgeous cabinets that would look perfect in the kitchen. I plan to use them as designers as well as suppliers. Haven't had a designer before on kitchen remodels - I've always done it myself. But for this one, I'm going to. Of course, I haven't met with them yet to see the bottom line - . Could change my mind.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MsPerky,Oct 5 2006, 06:59 AM
There is a store in Georgetown called Poggehpohl. It's a German company - pretty high end.
They have some really nice stuff. I see their ads in the Robb Report magazine all the time.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jonas, looks like you a lot of work ahead of you. The garage looks great when it's all emptied out like that.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:47 AM

I wish I didn't have so much crap that needs to go back in there, though.

A few weeks ago, I found out that the garage where I usually keep the S for the winter won't be available. The first year I had the S, I kept her here, and in the spring opened up the hood to find condensation all over the engine. Not good. Now that I don't have an alternate, it will be nice to have the S here all winter. Too bad that means no covered parking for my DD.

Here's what they've done so far:

They added a trench drain a couple feet from the front of the garage, which will keep water well away. The only problem is that the storm drain from the garage in that corner is too high to tie into, which means they will have to dig, probably up to the corner of the house to find a place to tie it into. More $$$$.

It will be worth it in the end. So I keep telling myself.

Today they should be pouring the garage floor and the side. The driveway will probably have to wait until tomorrow. Too bad I leave by noon for Gettysburg. My father will have to water it & watch it over the weekend.

JonasM
Old 10-05-2006, 09:23 AM

The concrete truck has just arrived....

JonasM

Quick Reply: The remodeling/home improvement thread