S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The remodeling/home improvement thread

Old 05-20-2006, 05:33 AM

Received 5,757 Likes on 3,392 Posts

Thought I would report in. This was done in the past two days. Ceiling lights. No big deal - right? Normally it's not but in my case I had to move a car to do it. Really.

The attic over the family room has been my spare parts storage area for my MGA. Before we could cut through the ceiling I had to move everything out of the way. For example, two front fenders, a rear fender, two trunk lids, two dashs, two doors, a hood, etc. .......... but that was the light stuff....... then there was the transmission, differential, half a dozen half shafts, .......... you get the idea. And then yesterday I got to move it all back!

On some other fronts, the garage gutters & guards are done. Countertop ordered and awaiting the templet man.

One of the more frustrating things has been finding a good landscaper. 80% of our yard is done but there's one area that has driven us nuts for years - as nothing wants to grow there except mud and its an area we and dog travel through a lot!! We wanted a 'professional' plan for a change. The first guy wasn't too sure what to do. The second one seemed to have lots of great ideas, took pictures, and said he would be back with a software program showing what it would look like - we have never heard from him since; although we've left messages when he totally missed the meeting to go over it. The third one spent two hours 'sitting there thinking' and had a couple good suggestions but didn't offer enough specifics (ie, rocks would be good there. Ok, what kind? Whatever you like. Huh. That's why we paid you for a plan. Oh, forget it.). We are making plans for another one next week. I'm done venting now.

Dean, looks good.

Ken, looks like too much work for me. Nice work.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:21 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dean,May 20 2006, 06:51 AM
The cabinet is open to the back and vented at the top. The cabinet is built into a closet behind that wall.
I should have known you'd have the bases covered.

I agree with Ken; I view my projects more as fun than work.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:02 PM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Latest update (and still no more pics loaded)...the house is in the process of having the exterior completely painted!

Once it's done (hopefully this week) and I have some downtime after the storm of the wedding, I'll take some pics of how the interior and exterior are turning out.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:08 AM

Received 3,191 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Dave, ceiling looks great.

I really like the recessed lights in our kitchen. Maybe we should put them in other rooms as well. No need to move a car to do it, just basic attic junk.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Lainey8484,May 20 2006, 08:43 AM
Let's see the pics, Skip.
Kyle attaching stock speakers to the Pioneer Elite 1130-HD 50" plasma:

Ceiling drywall up- rear lighting zone:

1st attempt at riser for back row. Rebuilt it to have the middle studs running lengthways to increase platform flexibility:

Why the needed flex? Because I added ButtKickers- one for the platform and one for the front row.

This wall was never intended to flush mount a plasma, so reframing had to take place. I also elected to flush-in an electric fireplace versus a gas one. It actually doesn't look as corny as I thought, flame-wise.

Test-fitting plasma:

Fireplace added:

When learning a new task, it is always best to learn the hardest way- do the ceiling first!

Center channel and a/v rack cut out:

Texturizing ceiling with paint added into drywall compound prior to applying. Exposed wiring is for a ceiling fan.

Seating mock-up after carpet installed

1st attempt at tiling(before grout- recent pics not uploaded):

Side view of mock-up to show height variance.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:18 PM

Received 3,191 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Looking good, Skip!
Old 05-28-2006, 04:26 PM

Thanks, Lainey. Not bad for my first attempt, but I'll be happier when the bathroom behind the tv/fireplace is completed, as will the Mrs.

Below is a retaining wall I put up to make cutting grass easier. It, too, was my first(and only) attempt at masonry work. To make it harder, I curved the darn thing.

Old 05-29-2006, 03:28 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

Beautiful work, Skip. I especially love that stone work you did.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:29 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,954 Likes on 1,748 Posts

The wall looks great...last time I was there, you didn't have it.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by MsPerky,May 29 2006, 07:29 AM
The wall looks great...last time I was there, you didn't have it.
Thank you, ladies. Actually, I did it before buying the S2000. I think you were there when we had lots going on and many cars parked everywhere.

Quick Reply: The remodeling/home improvement thread