S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The remodeling/home improvement thread

Old 05-19-2006, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's all bead board - kitchen, living room and hallways, which I did three and a half inches at a time.

That isn't real wood. It's some commercial grade textured stuff that looks very close to wood. It should since it retails for more than most wood flooring costs. My brother is in the floor covering business, so we got it at cost then flew him down here to install it.

We're starting on the ceilings next. I had been thinking about faux tin tile like what we put in the kitchen, but Martha's found some textured ceiling paper that she likes. We both hate the popcorn ceilings that the previous owner did, so to avoid having to clean that mess up I may just cover the entire ceiling with quarter inch plywood first then paper over the plywood. I think it'll be much easier than trying to scrape off and clean up the popcorn crap.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:08 PM

Received 3,191 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Your "non wood" is deceiving. Now that you mention the ceiling in the kitchen I can see a bit of it. Very Installing plywood and papering the ceiling sounds like the perfect recipe for a stiff neck waiting to happen.

I never understood that popcorn celing thing. It sure was the rage for a while, and I've never met anyone who has them who likes them.

My house is older and my ceilings are swirled plaster. I like it. When we gutted the bathroom, the carpenter was going to go with some kind of textured ceiling. I told him nope. Have the plasterer do the same as I had in the rest of the house. He did a good job.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:00 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! Great thread. Very glad I stopped in today.

Dean, if you place a glass door on the front of your a/v shelving, how will you dissipate the heat?

If you all don't object, I'll add what I have. I'm nearing the end of changing my family room into a theater room(not an isolated one, but close enough for me). It is my first attempt at drywalling, framing, recessed lighting, tiling, but not painting.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I do stuff like this in my spare time. That's why this walkway has been in the making for 9 years. Planning began in 1995. Material gathering began then and it was completed during the fall of 2004.

Old 05-19-2006, 07:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Ken, is that flagstone?
Old 05-20-2006, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,May 19 2006, 11:00 PM

Dean, if you place a glass door on the front of your a/v shelving, how will you dissipate the heat?
The cabinet is open to the back and vented at the top. The cabinet is built into a closet behind that wall.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey8484,May 19 2006, 10:08 PM
Your "non wood" is deceiving. Now that you mention the ceiling in the kitchen I can see a bit of it. Very Installing plywood and papering the ceiling sounds like the perfect recipe for a stiff neck waiting to happen.

I never understood that popcorn celing thing. It sure was the rage for a while, and I've never met anyone who has them who likes them.

My house is older and my ceilings are swirled plaster. I like it. When we gutted the bathroom, the carpenter was going to go with some kind of textured ceiling. I told him nope. Have the plasterer do the same as I had in the rest of the house. He did a good job.
The flooring comes in the form of six inch by four foot "planks", and it's textured to resemble old barn board.
Putting up plywood has to be easier than putting up drywall. And it'll help keep the ceiling from vibrating when the subwoofer kicks in.
The damned hideous refrigerator is getting replaced before the ceiling gets done though.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:29 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is more of a "blue" stone (the stuff I've seen lately at homedepot) that came with the house built in the late 80's. Seems the builder went the cheap route and just dropped it on top of the dirt. So over the years it sunk/shifted and grass grew around and between the pieces. Believe it or not, over the 25 ft stretch, there are 4000 pounds of sand and 2000 lbs of portland cement that was mixed by hand and hoe in a wheel barrow; about 75 12 inch brick from my parents home built in the 60's and about 12 24x32 inch pieces of the blue stone and another piece cut into pieces to fill the gaps between the brick edge and bluestone. I may have $300 in the sand and cement and the rest was already available. The actual work took me about 4 Saturdays.... I call this therapy - a great break from government contract and staff management.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:43 AM

Received 3,191 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,May 19 2006, 11:00 PM

If you all don't object, I'll add what I have. I'm nearing the end of changing my family room into a theater room(not an isolated one, but close enough for me). It is my first attempt at drywalling, framing, recessed lighting, tiling, but not painting.
Let's see the pics, Skip.

We have some talented folks here. We had to hire someone to do our kitchen.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:09 AM

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Dean,
VERY NICE!!!

Quick Reply: The remodeling/home improvement thread