S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Remembering the S2000 Memories on this 4th of July.

Old 07-04-2024, 02:56 PM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

The Honda embodied all of things I loved in a sports car. I loved my Honda S2000 because it was a car designed from the ground up for pure driving enjoyment. Although over 100,000 were made, in most parts of the country it is still a very rare car. I vividly recall my test drive in a used ‘00 S2000. I stood on the throttle. It shot away like a missile. My heart sang wildly as I redlined each gear, sending it easily past 100 mph. In fact, I didn’t even realize it until my wife said in that special voice she sometimes uses “I think 120 in someone else’s car is enough!” I couldn’t sleep that night. I ordered a new ‘01 S2000 the next day.

The following 2 users liked this post by dlq04:
Lainey (07-04-2024), valentine (07-05-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 05:08 PM

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,863 Posts

^
Rick says you were fussy, Dave. He bought ours without ever driving one, in fact without ever sitting in it. I crawled under the ropes around the S2000 in the showroom of the Honda dealer to sit in one. I moved up the seat, depressed the clutch and determined I could reach the pedals in order to drive the car. "Ok, we can buy one."

I drove it home after the cookout and it's still a fun little car. Oh, we got a beep and a wave while we were out today.
Old 07-04-2024, 05:49 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

I pretty much bought mine sight unseen and never having driven an S2000 in the past. I did a very short and slow speed test drive before final payment was handed over to the seller. When he gave me the keys he was actually crying , I knew it was a special car when it gets that kind of response from owners. He had to sell the car as his family was moving to Hong Kong.
The following users liked this post:
shrykhar (07-04-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 06:54 PM

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,713 Posts

I never got to test drive one. The first time I drove one was the night I picked mine up from the dealer!
Old 07-04-2024, 07:10 PM

Received 4,289 Likes on 3,332 Posts

I’m one of the lucky ones who still has their S. I just got in from driving my S home along some twisty Vt roads with the top down and the stars shining above. Consider myself a lucky man.
The following 2 users liked this post by robb:
buckeyesue (07-04-2024), valentine (07-05-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 07:44 PM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

There is no way in “hell” that I would buy a car I haven’t driven first. A friend who always owned Corvettes stopped by my office at work and said he had something new to show me. I went out and discovered it was a S2000. We went for a drive on back roads and he even let me drive it but it was so new I did not want to push it. The next day I went online and found a foreign college student in Ann Arbor ready to sell his, that’s when I took the real test drive I spoke of earlier. That was the clincher for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by dlq04:
buckeyesue (07-04-2024), Lainey (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 02:23 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

I bought the car despite me not liking convertibles , I loved everything else about the car but I always wanted a hard top. I eventually got a hardtop and drove with it most of the time with the hardtop in place.
Old 07-05-2024, 05:45 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,971 Likes on 1,757 Posts

As I have posted before, I was out looking for a Jaguar XJS convertible. Went to the dealer but they could not find me one. Next door was the Honda dealer. Saw my original Silverstone in the parking lot. Had never seen one (this was 2001). Looked pretty cool. Lots of people around it and a guy before me test drove it and went off to think. I drove it and bought it. It turned out to have some issues, but they were resolved.

One major issue was my eventful trip to Carmen’s meet in OH. We made it as far as Moundsville, WV where an awful noise in the back started about 20 miles away and it hobbled into this little town before it stopped being driveable. Crazy couple of days. Was very worried about finding a flatbed to haul it back to DC. A miracle occurred when a young couple with a gleaming new truck drove up. I was amazed and very happy. Off we went with Vito and me in the back seat. The plastic was still on it.

I kept that car until July of 2006. Decided to stop by the dealer on the way to my parents’ house and ended up trading it in on my current S, a new 2006 Rio. Did some bargaining with the sales guy who kept running back and forth to his manager. Ended up getting a good deal on the trade and the new. They must have been impressed a woman could deal and they offered me a job. Already had a good one so a no go. Drove the car to the parents’ house. Vito and my bro had been playing golf and were waiting for me. I drove in and Vito’s jaw dropped. He thought I had had the old one painted! Have had it ever since and it is still in pristine condition with low miles. The license place (MSPERKY) always gets attention and I have had many offers to sell it. As long as I can still get in and out of it, it is not for sale. Even then, my younger nephew, the car fanatic, really wants it, so would have to think hard about that. Still loads of fun to drive.

Last edited by MsPerky; 07-05-2024 at 05:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MsPerky:
jukngene (07-05-2024), valentine (07-06-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 09:19 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,292 Likes on 997 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
^
Rick says you were fussy, Dave. He bought ours without ever driving one, in fact without ever sitting in it. I crawled under the ropes around the S2000 in the showroom of the Honda dealer to sit in one. I moved up the seat, depressed the clutch and determined I could reach the pedals in order to drive the car. "Ok, we can buy one."

I drove it home after the cookout and it's still a fun little car. Oh, we got a beep and a wave while we were out today.
I bought mine without ever driving one or even sitting in one also, Lainey. I saw a Berlina black at it's LA Auto Show debut on a roped off turntable. I negotiated with Pasadena Honda and took delivery at the dealer one month later. I couldn't resist: I goosed it through 1st gear once I hit the street. Fun times!
The following users liked this post:
Lainey (07-05-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 12:30 PM

Received 4,289 Likes on 3,332 Posts

I drove about 3 different ones before I bought mine. The Honda dealers I tried to deal with were one worse than the other. I spent well over a year looking and had given up and was close to buying a used 911 instead when fate intervened. A tree branch fell on my Toyota and did some damage so I went to my Toyota dealer, who also sells Honda’s, to get parts for my truck and while I was there I figured I would take one more shot. I walked over to the Honda side spoke with a saleswoman they had a new silver S in the showroom she asked me if I wanted to go for a test drive I told her it wasn’t needed I knew I wanted one told her my stipulations and after a bit of back and forth we made a deal. Turns out she was doing her last two weeks there she had given her notice and the sales manager was out for the week, when I picked up the car 2 months later the sales manager told me he never would of o.k’d the deal if he was there. Another weird cool thing was the saleswoman had a day calendar on her desk and on that day I was there it mentioned something about whom a member here named Chazmo had named his S after he called it Neb for short it was so long ago I can’t remember the full name but that was pretty cool.

Quick Reply: Remembering the S2000 Memories on this 4th of July.