S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

In regards to recent events

Old 09-29-2008, 07:36 AM
Former Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
Default In regards to recent events

I received a few pm's from various members of Vintage about an issue that happend in the last few days. I wasn't quite sure if I should post publically or answer everyone's pm. I know some want to see heads roll, but in the heat of the moment (days) I think things were said to possibly cause a bit of a stir and there is apparent dislike for some people. I thought it be better for all to see and understand a few things.

I can see the topic history of the few threads that were in mention as well as the moderator logs on the admin side. I can see who did what and what time. This shows who locked, deleted posts, when a topic was moved and should show when a topic was retitled. The thread I couldn't find any history on is the Jerry Be a Man topic. I read where it was renamed. I still could not find the thread in which it was renamed to. Everything looks above board from the thread starters to the CO's of Vintage moderating the threads.

It was only recently that I found out (learn something new every days right?) When a thread is closed by any admin, moderator, CO, that a fellow admin, moderator or CO can post to the closed thread. The thread is clicked on to read it. You will notice the CLOSED button is shaded out and states closed. The people with moderator rights would click on the closed button which opens up the reply window allowing comments to be typed. Once the comments are typed the add reply button is clicked. The difference is the thread stays closed at the end of the posting. It does not appear to be forum specific.

When moderators or CO's are set up they are only set up for the specific forum they are responsible for which means adminstrator functions are forum specific.

Since not many people probably knew about this it hasn't been an issue. We haven't had a need to discuss it and deal with protocol issues. I suppose common sense would come in to play.

My recommendation for everyone across the site is if you have moderator privileges don't post in a closed thread (heck I am guilty of it as well) Contact the person responsible for the forum if you have concerns or comments regarding the closed thread.

We have many users who have husbands and wives on this site who take enjoyment of the site and the S2000 which is what this site is meant for. In the real world husbands or wives can not work for each other or be one's superior, so in this case I would recommend another moderator or CO step in and deal with issues. I don't see anything wrong with what happened here. I do recommend for future to avoid any potential conflict of interest or appearance of favourtism that another person be involved.

As far as the dislike of certain people, you can either restrict them from your forum or put them on ignore or work it out.

If I can answer further questions just ask.

I hope this clears up some issues and will not cause any further fighting. If this thread get's out of hand, I will close it and post nasty stuff about all of and none of you will get a word in
Old 09-29-2008, 08:01 AM
tof
Member (Premium)

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,412 Posts

IBTL
Old 09-29-2008, 08:06 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Shelly,

While CO, I've added replies to closed threads without hitting a button, just by quoting another post. After posting my reply, I would then see that the thread was closed and I would edit my reply. Have you tested to see if it also works in that fashion? I can't imagine I was the only one who could do that.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:11 AM
Former Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

Nope Bill, and since I have apparently not provided support to this situation on behalf of this site. I am sorry I even posted my thoughts. I actually thought I did the right thing.

My statement of everything was above board regarding the moderator logs was apparently wrong on my part.

The moderator logs are infact accurate. I explained how the posting was done to a closed thread. I guess I should have publically stated that posting was infact done to a closed thread.

It's locked.

Since we call a spade a spade around here. s2ki has never been able to meet the expectations of the vintage forum.

Since one moderator is stepping down anyways, I will remove you today. No need to keep the crap going. You guys don't need community organizers, you only need a moderator.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:14 AM

Received 3,215 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Shelly, I'm not sure you want any answers or rebuttal to your explanation, but here goes. I understand what you are saying about the closed threads... I mistakenly did that myself ONCE, as I was tired and did not notice the lock symbol, BUT the thread was on the first page.

The threads in question this weekend, that were closed and posted to clearly had to be searched for as they were pages back, and the little lock symbol was there, and the OP had clearly stated the thread was closed.

On another issue, copying and pasting parts, pieces or the entire text of one of my post and it being used to re-butt someone's argument in another thread was not appreciated, but I ignored it as I didn't want to fan the flames any further.

Maybe no site rules were broken, I don't know. I'm pretty sure Vintage will now be looking for a CO, and with all the armchair quarterbacking that ANY CO here has to deal with (and I speak from experience), I do wonder who will want the job.

I know there are people here who don't care for Dean, nor the way he came to Martha's defense, however, his CO "style" seems to be the only thing that keeps some people in line.

In closing, let me just say that if we lose yet another CO here, the reason behind his leaving will likely be the same reason that I and others before me have left. Those responsible for the departure of COs around here know the score, they just won't admit it.

Sorry if this post is out of line. I DO appreciate the fact that you had to deal with this