S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Ralper Lost His Dad

Old 09-18-2004, 05:07 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Thank you everyone for the kind words and condolences. Thank you for the PMs, e-Mails and cards.

We made all of the arrangements on Wednesday, and my sister, my mother and I spent most of the day together. On Thursday we all went to our own Temples, but in the afternoon we gathered at my sister's house. We wanted to be with my mother. As Matt pointed out, we are very concerned about her. She and my father were married for 61 years, and I don't know if she'll be able to cope.

Tomorrow morning is the funeral. I am giving one of the eulogys. I put off writing it all day, but I've been thinking about it for a long time. I'm not going to speak to the audience, I'm going to speak to my father. That's really what I want to do.

The funeral should be short. The rabbi is from the Temple that my folks were members of in Brooklyn. He's known them for 45 years, and they were always very generous. He's coming out to New Jersey for the ceremony, and then we all go back to Brooklyn for the burial. After that, we wind up at my mother's house to sit for the days of shiva.

I think tomorrow is going to be a very difficult day. I am not looking forward to it.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:42 PM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

We'll all be thinking about you, Rob.

Jonas, Virginija & Anika
Old 09-18-2004, 06:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Rob,

We're all with you. You've already taken the positive energy and experiences from your relationship with your dad and carried them forward to your relationship with your children. I've seen you with Adam on a few occasions and it is obviously a great father/son relationship. So...your father...and his actions...and his life, live on in you and Adam.
Old 09-18-2004, 06:49 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,970 Likes on 1,756 Posts

^ I agree...nicely said, Carmen.
Old 09-18-2004, 06:54 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioRacer,Sep 18 2004, 10:22 PM
Rob,

We're all with you. You've already taken the positive energy and experiences from your relationship with your dad and carried them forward to your relationship with your children. I've seen you with Adam on a few occasions and it is obviously a great father/son relationship. So...your father...and his actions...and his life, live on in you and Adam.
That is one of the nicest things I've ever heard.

Rob
Old 09-18-2004, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My thoughts are with you too, Rob, as you come to grips with losing your dad. I'm sure it will kind of change the High Holy Days for you forever.

My dad died ten years ago this summer (when I was 47). We had gotten closer and closer as I developed my career in Wyoming. He led a professional group in Pennsylvania during his career and he always advised me to find a win-win solution to every conflict.

I know you will miss him so much.

Barry
Old 09-20-2004, 08:33 PM

Received 5,799 Likes on 3,418 Posts

Having just gotten out of the hospital, I'm catching up on the news. Sorry to hear about your loss Rob.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob, our thoughts and Prayers, too, are with you and your family. Just tonight I found this thread concerning your loss, and have searched it back to it's beginning. What a tremendous group of Vintager's we belong to! My heart aches for you, and I know this ordeal is not easy in any aspect. My only words are to cherish you precious memories of your Dad that will forever bring a smile to your thoughts and your heart; for they are the warm-fuzzies that will forever keep your Dad near. Adam is truly Blessed to have you for his Father.
Helen and Jay
Old 09-21-2004, 06:00 PM

[/QUOTE]"He was my best friend, and he was my father."

Rob, What a great quote. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Your Dad was truely a cherished blessing, as I am sure you are to your sons!
Old 09-22-2004, 01:14 PM

Rob~

I've been out of town for a week and just returned. I want to add my condolences and prayers to all the others.

Your words and memories about your dad are a tribute and a reflection on the kind of man he was.

Julie

Quick Reply: Ralper Lost His Dad