S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Ralper Lost His Dad

Old 09-15-2004, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob,

Please accept my families condolences; we will keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:33 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Rob,
So sorry to hear this, our prayers are with you and your family.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:29 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Thank you. Thank you for your kind words, wishes and prayers. You truly are my family.

My sister, brother in law, my mother and I spent most of today making the arrangements for my father's funeral. Normally in our tradition our dead have to buried within 48 hours of death. Tonight is the beginning of the High Holy Days, Rosh Hasannah, and Saturday is the Sabbath, so my father's funeral will be on Sunday. We will sit shiva until the following Friday morning because Friday evening is the start of Yom Kippur. I am one of the few people who has been lucky enough not to have to say Yiskor for 52 years. This year I have to say Yiskor.

We thought my father was improving. He had some tests two weeks ago and the doctors cleared him for knee surgery. The operation was scheduled for October 19th, and we took him home from the continuing care facility. We hire an around the clock aide, and rented a hospital bed and the other necessary equipment. He seemed to be in good spirits, and was optimistic about the operation, and as always about the future.

This morning, on the way to work my cell phone rang. It was Liz. She had just gotten off of the phone with my mother. I went home and then drove to my mother's house.

I was very, very close to my father. He was my hero, my idol, my mentor. I wanted to grow up to be just like him. He taught me most everything that I know, or at least, most everything that's worth knowing. We spent a lot of years together, working together and just being together. He was my best friend, and he was my father.

My consolation is that he looks like he died in peace. He has a peaceful, contented look on his face. I don't think there was any pain, I don't think there was a struggle. He just seems to have come to the end of his life. It was his time.

Thank you for listening. We are preparing for the holidays, and then the funeral. I will look here when I can and be back on line as soon as I can.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:38 PM

Matt and I are so sorry about the loss of your Dad. Your last words about him were so upbeat and encouraging. He probably passed away with a smile on his face ... looking forward to tomorrow. I'm sure he was very proud of you, Liz and Adam. Remember him well!

Sincerely,
Barbara and Matt
Old 09-15-2004, 03:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My sincere condolences on your loss.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:37 PM

Rob:
So sorry for your family's loss, but it sounds like you were fortunate enough to have had a great dad for a long time. The difference he made in your life will live on, as I'm sure you are a better person (and dad too!) for all that he invested in you.
Peace,
Dex
Old 09-15-2004, 03:56 PM

Received 518 Likes on 307 Posts

Rob,

I realize that Barbara has already posted our condolences above, but I wanted to send my condolences as well.

As my father died suddenly of a massive heart attack in 1986, my thoughts are concentrated on your mother. As this will be especially difficult for her. Of course my condolences to your entire family. I know that this is a difficult and sad time. Please find comfort in him living on in your fond memories of him.

My sincere condolences,
Matt
Old 09-15-2004, 04:03 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Rob, I'm very sorry for your loss. That picture of you and your dad with the MG-TD is one of my favorites.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:18 PM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

We'll be praying for you and your family up here in Upstate NY.
Levi & Karla
Old 09-15-2004, 04:37 PM

My sincere condolences Rob. You, your Father and your family will be in our prayers.

jd

Quick Reply: Ralper Lost His Dad