S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Problems logging in to S2Ki.comd

Old 12-23-2011, 06:10 PM

Received 518 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by paS2K
I have skipped the McAfee stuff that comes "free" from Comcast, and us www.eset.com which was recommended by Microcenter when I bought my last desktop. It has not let me down....yet
For what it is worth, I found out the hard way in May of 2010 that the McAfee suite that is offered by the likes of Comcast and Cox is a "lite" version.

On the other hand I am really UPSET that the full blown "so called" Security Suite they call "Total Protection" did not protect us from Win 7 2012 and their tech support group wants to charge $89.95 to fix what they allowed to get broken. When my subscription is up I am going to be DONE with McAfee.

I am going to attempt the twenty step process to remove it tomorrow. Thankfully, our Net Book is allowing me to access the Internet to discover how to remove Win 7 2012. Wish me luck.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by jukngene
I have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware running. I suspect that the Malwarebytes would have caught Matt's worm.
Gene, you are correct it would have if I had not FOOLISHLY put my faith in McAfee's "so called" Total Protection Suite. By the name, I foolishly thought that I was protected from "malware". It fries me that they want more money to fix what they allowed to get infected.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:24 PM

Received 3,214 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Matt, I don't think a worm virus is all that uncommon, even with up to date virus protection.

One little click to a website that looks safe (but isn't) and it can happen.

Hopefully, you'll get it cleared up.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:39 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 824 Likes on 489 Posts

Hope you were successful in removing the worm, Matt. Sorry for your misfortune. I've run the malwarebytes program for a looooong time along with Trend-Micro's pc cillin. I pay a fair amount for the av protection, but feel its worth it. Who knows? The bad guys seem to work longer hours at ruining folks' systems than the good guys work at keeping us safe. FWIW, I never liked Norton since it seemed to have so many conflicts with other software and I didn't like McAfee because it let too many bad things in. Several times I've attempted to click on what looked like a really good site but immediately Trend Micro pops up and tells me it is not a trusted site. I'm glad to move on to another site.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:25 PM

So, now that McAfee has let me down TWICE over the last several years. What virus/malware software do you folks suggest?
Old 12-24-2011, 09:19 PM

Received 5,798 Likes on 3,417 Posts

Matt, I know the feeling. When I was frustrated with Norton I did a lot of research and still it ranked right up in the top 1-2. I am of the opinion that it doesn't matter if you are a Windows user, there is no really safe one.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:24 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,669 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_in_VA
So, now that McAfee has let me down TWICE over the last several years. What virus/malware software do you folks suggest?
This expert recommends Microsoft Security Essentials. I run it on both my Desktop and Laptop. http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...-free-updates/

In addition, as noted before, I have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware running as well. On the computer that Bea uses, we just use the free Norton Security Suite that Comcast provides as part of their service. None of our machines have ever gotten a virus, but I have received several pop-ups from the anti-virus software stating that it has detected a virus and has quarantined it and deleted it.

That's my $.02 worth!

Old 12-25-2011, 04:48 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 824 Likes on 489 Posts

I've said earlier that I use Trend Micro Titanium and I run Malware Bytes. I keep my and so far so good. I've had occasions in the past when Trend Micro has caught viruses coming in and quarantined and deleted them. I really like the Malware Bytes program and like the TM Titanium product. I do pay for the TM program and keep my subscription current.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:45 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Matt;

I use Norton and Spybot and have not had a problem...... so far.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:28 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,021 Likes on 2,677 Posts

I'm glad I will have all those extra processing cores on my new machine.
I'll need them since they will be running all of the virus checking.

Quick Reply: Problems logging in to S2Ki.comd