S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Political Lawn Posters.....

Old 10-19-2004, 08:43 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Political Lawn Posters.....

Political advertisements on lawns and telephone poles are fascinating.

I live surrounded by one of the most affluent Zip Codes in Suburban Philadelphia (although our little 'town' is not in the same $$). The area is loaded with Porsches, M-B's....many houses >$1MM...even Rolls and exotics on the weekend; private schools abound....as well as 4-5 prestigious private colleges.

This sounds like Conservative territory....but I am absolutely AMAZED that the majority of lawn signs are promoting the Liberal candidates. It's very different in this election cycle...and I'm not sure why

Now, another venue: We have a summer cottage in Adams County....near Gettysburg. This is DEEP conservative country.....books have been written about Central Pennsylvania. Over the last 3 weekends, I've been driving a lot of back roads in that area and finding......ANOTHER overwhelming majority of Kerry-Edwards lawn signs WHAT is going on here?

My personal opinion is that....as stated elsewhere in other threads....one group of people is voting against 'W' and another group of people (tending Conservative) are too unexcited to Post a Sign on their lawns.

Let's make this a thread: What do YOU see planted in your neighborhood and daily commute route? Is it 'same old/ same old'.....or somehow different ???
Old 10-19-2004, 08:56 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Jerry

I've noticed the same thing as you. My county is one of the more affluent counties in New Jersey and generally conservative Republican. Liz and I are among a handful of Democrats living in our community, a probably the only liberal democrats in the neighborhood.

Much to my surprise I am seeing Kerry/Edwards lawn signs running about 2 to 1 over the Bush/Cheney signs.

Like you I think an awful lot of these people are voting against Bush. ABB* comes to the suburbs.

*=Anybody but Bush.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper,Oct 19 2004, 11:56 PM
probably the only liberal democrats in the neighborhood.
^ That's not redundant?

In my neighborhood (all 10 houses), 1 house has Bush-Cheney (though I suspect this is a pretty conservative area - very rural ) - more people are concerned that we get a county Library (I live in the smallest county in Texas).

I do know that some neighborhoods in an area north of the Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex had campaign signs disappearing. One guy caught teenagers on tape pulling up the signs and running off with them - and then the real fight began. The Kerry campaign was accusing the Bush campaign of doing it .....only Bush signs were also disappearing. It was decided that it was just teenage pranksters, as both campaigns were considerably too busy at this point to bother with stealing signs - as if the signs make a big difference in a highly-published campaign anyway. I think they may in the lesser elections, though, since name recognition on the ballot may be a large factor in one's decision as to which "blanks to fill" on the ballot.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:18 AM

Arrow

Mercifully I live right in the middle of Bush country and even here there are more Kerry yard signs. It might have something to do with what the national/local campagins have decided to pay for. I see more Bush car stickers/magnets.

Personally, I really don't like signs--especially ones that are on "public" land such at intersections, on poles, or along non-residential roads. Campaigners are gung-ho about getting the signs up, yet they don't show the same enthuasiam in taking them down. It really pisses me off to see old signs (regardless of who the candidate is) still up weeks or months after an election.

IMO, the signs are nothing but fancy litter.

P.S. If a voter is swayed to vote/not vote or for whom to vote for by yard signs, that's a truly scary thing. Some of our voters are shamefully uneducated about who they're voting for--or against--and that's to all our detriment.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:50 AM

The only signs that I've seen in my neighborhood are for candidates in the local elections - sheriff, mayor, judge, etc.. I don't think that the signs have any effect. I find them to be a minor irritant and an eyesore, not unlike the vehicles that I also see around here whose owners feel compelled to plaster their religious/political beliefs all over their vehicles with bumper stickers.

Dean
Old 10-20-2004, 11:50 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by paS2K,Oct 20 2004, 12:43 AM
This sounds like Conservative territory....but I am absolutely AMAZED that the majority of lawn signs are promoting the Liberal candidates. It's very different in this election cycle...and I'm not sure why

Now, another venue: We have a summer cottage in Adams County....near Gettysburg. This is DEEP conservative country.....books have been written about Central Pennsylvania. Over the last 3 weekends, I've been driving a lot of back roads in that area and finding......ANOTHER overwhelming majority of Kerry-Edwards lawn signs WHAT is going on here?

My personal opinion is that....as stated elsewhere in other threads....one group of people is voting against 'W' and another group of people (tending Conservative) are too unexcited to Post a Sign on their lawns.

Let's make this a thread: What do YOU see planted in your neighborhood and daily commute route? Is it 'same old/ same old'.....or somehow different ???
I think you've been running around your two neighborhoods and putting the signs up in peoples' yards.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:53 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by dean,Oct 20 2004, 09:50 AM
The only signs that I've seen in my neighborhood are for candidates in the local elections - sheriff, mayor, judge, etc.. I don't think that the signs have any effect. I find them to be a minor irritant and an eyesore, not unlike the vehicles that I also see around here whose owners feel compelled to plaster their religious/political beliefs all over their vehicles with bumper stickers.

Dean
Same here, and I agree with the comments. Hopefully they'll all be gone by the 1st weekend in Nov.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:16 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Originally Posted by rjosey8385,Oct 20 2004, 08:05 AM
^ That's not redundant?
No, not at all. There are liberal Democrats, moderate Democrats, centrist Democrats and perhaps there are still some Dixiecrats and conservative Democrats around on the other side of center. Pretty nice group if you ask me.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jmc1971,Oct 20 2004, 09:18 AM
Personally, I really don't like signs--especially ones that are on "public" land such at intersections, on poles, or along non-residential roads. Campaigners are gung-ho about getting the signs up, yet they don't show the same enthuasiam in taking them down. It really pisses me off to see old signs (regardless of who the candidate is) still up weeks or months after an election.

IMO, the signs are nothing but fancy litter.
I couldn't agree more with what Julie said above. I HATE THIS POLLUTION!!! I was just commenting about this yesterday. There is a small strip plaza down the road and there must be 50 of these stupid signs on the grassy area.

To answer the VSA's question , we have about 6 signs in our development and they are all Bush/Cheney. I refuse to allow any of these eyesores in my yard. Especially after I won the best Vintage lawn contest. :hidingfromDr.T:
Old 10-20-2004, 02:18 PM

I, too, refuse to allow my lawn to express its political opinion. When it gets unruly, I mow it!

Quick Reply: Political Lawn Posters.....