S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

point & shoot camera

Old 01-01-2015, 06:40 PM

Received 2,886 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Finding a point and shoot with a view finder is tough. I myself NEED a view finder. It's what I'm used to....
I agree! I have a terrible time using the little LCD screen.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:10 AM

Received 794 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by skunkworks
I have a Nikon CoolPix P7700 point and shoot (P&S) that I’m reasonably happy with. It was purchased used at a very low cost from a disgruntled photographer who wanted to sell all of her photographic gear. The purchase price was $100.

I say reasonably happy, and not fully happy because of its following shortcomings:
  • It does not have an electronic view finder (EVF). I’ve had many experiences that the LCD screen is completely washed out with a back light and the image bracketing and focus requires guesswork. Forget about trying to alter the cameras parameters in sunlight.
  • The same with dark conditions – it’s hard to see the image.
  • It needs higher ISO capabilities.
  • The lens needs more dynamic range (more Fstops).
  • During burst mode photography the LCD screen blanks out making any action scenes impossible to follow.
  • A P&S without an EVF is unsteady while holding it at arms length. Viewing through an EVF stabilizes the camera, particularly if you can hold the camera against your head.
  • The CMOS sensor may not be a good as a full DSLR or perhaps it’s the firmware controlling the image. Most S&Ps have a higher noise ratio at low light that a fully blown (and more expensive) DSLR.
  • It stifles creativity...you must work within its parameters or the shutter will not trigger.
The Panasonic Lumix GM5 is expensive but looks like a nice camera.

gary
I have the Cool Pix L830, no view finder but the screen tilts which helps. More than enough creativity for me.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:09 AM

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I just got a new point-and-shoot camera for travel. It is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000.

It has a relatively large 1" sensor, a zoom lens (25-400mm-35mm equivalent), hot shoe, a 3" LCD screen, an electronic viewfinder, and can film 4K. It looks like a mini DSLR.

I still prefer my full size Canon SLR cameras, but the camera bodies and multiple lenses are very, very heavy, especially when I carry them on our trips.

I hope to use this new camera for travel. I'll be taking the camera to the Detroit Auto show that Buckeye Sue and I are attending next weekend..
Old 01-08-2015, 07:50 AM

Received 5,801 Likes on 3,420 Posts

Originally Posted by goblueS2K
I just got a new point-and-shoot camera for travel. It is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000.

It has a relatively large 1" sensor, a zoom lens (25-400mm-35mm equivalent), hot shoe, a 3" LCD screen, an electronic viewfinder, and can film 4K. It looks like a mini DSLR.

I still prefer my full size Canon SLR cameras, but the camera bodies and multiple lenses are very, very heavy, especially when I carry them on our trips.

I hope to use this new camera for travel. I'll be taking the camera to the Detroit Auto show that Buckeye Sue and I are attending next weekend..
Will you be there with the reporters? The public opening is 17-25.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:23 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,010 Likes on 588 Posts

Nope, we won't be there with the reporters.

By "next weekend," goblueS2K meant the weekend of Jan 17-18.

Originally Posted by dlq04
Originally Posted by goblueS2K' timestamp='1420733374' post='23460837

Will you be there with the reporters? The public opening is 17-25.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:54 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by goblueS2K

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 looks like a very good choice. Let us know how you like it and post some pic's taken with it.

gary