S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

point & shoot camera

Old 03-07-2014, 06:20 AM

Received 794 Likes on 535 Posts

Thanks for all of the feedback. Once I recover from my fall off a ladder I will look into some of these suggestions. Lots of time to sit around and surf.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:25 AM

Received 3,223 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
Thanks for all of the feedback. Once I recover from my fall off a ladder I will look into some of these suggestions. Lots of time to sit around and surf.
Uh oh! You are not supposed to falling off a ladder, especially while on vacation. Hope you are OK.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:56 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by paS2K
Originally Posted by Legal Bill' timestamp='1394068497' post='23048434
Pictures are over rated.

That is all.
LB's comment reminds me that many folks on our trips eschew ANY camera. They buy professionally shot POSTCARDS for 50 cents each/ 12 for 5 bucks. NOT a criticism of you photo pro's.

With digital photography, at least we no longer need a dozen boxes of COLOR KODACHROME slides. I'll be I'm not the only one with about 10 of these in the closet....each holding 50 or more slides.
have thousands of slides and negatives that I haven’t viewed or processed for over fifteen years. After tomorrow they’ll be gone with the exception of family photos. I’ll be able to reclaim much needed space. Thanks for the awakening.
gary

Old 03-07-2014, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey
Originally Posted by S2KRAY' timestamp='1394205612' post='23051253
Uh oh! You are not supposed to falling off a ladder, especially while on vacation. Hope you are OK.
Yup, finally get away from winter to warm Naples. Nothing broken, but I have a painful calf contusion. Ice is helping and I'm getting around ok. Couple days I should be back on the bike enjoying the weather. Thanks for asking. Ray
Old 03-08-2014, 12:03 PM

Decided on the Cool Pix and got it this morning. Great features, price and it is compact and easy to use. Lots of good choices out there but I am partial to Nikon. Gotta start taking some pix in beautiful Naples now. Plan to take some photo classes at the local Apple store so I can start posting pix I take. Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:52 AM

Received 5,801 Likes on 3,420 Posts

Probably a cut above a point and shoot camera but I've always been happy with my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 because of it's size and telescopic limits (in it's day). And I shot 95% or more on the auto setting. I guess this little one would be consider a replacement.

http://cameras.reviewed.com/content/...ampaign=collab
Old 12-31-2014, 12:37 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,547 Likes on 1,917 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Probably a cut above a point and shoot camera but I've always been happy with my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 because of it's size and telescopic limits (in it's day). And I shot 95% or more on the auto setting. I guess this little one would be consider a replacement.

http://cameras.reviewed.com/content/...ampaign=collab
$900! No thank you. I'm not a good enough photographer to need that one.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:30 PM

Love the Coolpix. Easy to use, lots of creativity or just shoot in auto. More than I need and reasonable.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:07 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a Nikon CoolPix P7700 point and shoot (P&S) that I’m reasonably happy with. It was purchased used at a very low cost from a disgruntled photographer who wanted to sell all of her photographic gear. The purchase price was $100.

I say reasonably happy, and not fully happy because of its following shortcomings:
  • It does not have an electronic view finder (EVF). I’ve had many experiences that the LCD screen is completely washed out with a back light and the image bracketing and focus requires guesswork. Forget about trying to alter the cameras parameters in sunlight.
  • The same with dark conditions – it’s hard to see the image.
  • It needs higher ISO capabilities.
  • The lens needs more dynamic range (more Fstops).
  • During burst mode photography the LCD screen blanks out making any action scenes impossible to follow.
  • A P&S without an EVF is unsteady while holding it at arms length. Viewing through an EVF stabilizes the camera, particularly if you can hold the camera against your head.
  • The CMOS sensor may not be a good as a full DSLR or perhaps it’s the firmware controlling the image. Most S&Ps have a higher noise ratio at low light that a fully blown (and more expensive) DSLR.
  • It stifles creativity...you must work within its parameters or the shutter will not trigger.
The Panasonic Lumix GM5 is expensive but looks like a nice camera.

gary
Old 01-01-2015, 11:40 AM

Received 3,223 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Finding a point and shoot with a view finder is tough. I myself NEED a view finder. It's what I'm used to. I still have my old Olympus that I can dig out from time to time. It has a view finder. I also have a small pocket sized Canon that has a view finder. It was cheap as could be. Pics aren't bad, but it's slooooooooooooowww to record the image.

Quick Reply: point & shoot camera