S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Pet peeves, v. 2

Old 01-20-2012, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pet peeves, v. 2

I don't want to sidetrack the erudite discussion of grammar and spelling annoyances, so I'll start a new one with this: the nickel and dime fees that banks charge these days have been griped about before, but I think this is a new one, and just plain over the top:

The bank where my paycheck is automatically deposited (automatic deposits being a requirement of my employer) has started charging a fee for cash deposits. More properly, it should be viewed as a discount on cash they accept, insofar as the fee is 5%. This is for coins, with the excuse that they have to pay to have the coin counter maintained. (I haven't tried to deposit a huge pile of bills, which I'm sure they also have a machine for.)

But this is a bank, for crying out loud. It's their job to count money, to count the customers' money and be correct about it. To charge customers to count that money is just a bit too much.

Time for a new bank, methinks. HPH
Old 01-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,666 Likes on 858 Posts

^^^Two words: Credit Union
Old 01-20-2012, 03:54 PM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Banks seem to have an issue with coins. A few started charging fees a couple of years ago for counting coin if you were not a bank customer.

Credit unions are the kinder/gentler banking option.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:37 PM

Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

I took over $400 in change (rolled) to my bank a couple of months ago....

No problems..... they took it, no questions asked!

But then, when they changed over their online bill paying system 5 months ago, they caused me a lot of grief with a missed payment... still working on trying to get that fixed!
Old 01-20-2012, 04:51 PM

Received 510 Likes on 303 Posts

Don't get me started about banks and their "so called SERVICE".

The bank that holds our mortgage, and that I have a Master Card with is also the same bank that my Mother opened a checking account with. She opened this account for her convenience for check cashing purposes as it is close to where she lives and the neighborhood that her credit union is in is NOT so good, so she is uncomfortable going to that location to cash checks to have house hold cash on hand.

As the Executor of her will, I am a co-owner on all of her accounts. In November, for some unknown reason sent my Master Card statement to my Mother. The interesting thing is that it was mailed to her town name (in NY) and listed the state as VA. No such town exist in Virginia? It was delivered to her based on the zip code +4.

As we never got the bill we did not pay it. After she called me, she sent me the entire envelope that they mistakenly sent to her (an invasion of our privacy?). They excused the late charge after calling them. Then the following month they hit us with a interest charge. which they also excused after I called them to point out THIER mistake.

Last weekend, I went with my Mother to her local branch to inquire as to what her balance is because they no longer send paper statements and she does NOT have on-line access. The interesting thing (to me) is that they tied my overdraft protection to her account in which I am a co-owner without my permission. Not that I mind as she is very responsible. But it is SCARY to me that they have intertwined our accounts.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by jukngene
^^^Two words: Credit Union
I'm with Gene. I've been in a credit union since my first "real job" with General Dynamics. When I went to work for Lockheed in 1983, I started with Lockheed Federal Credit Union and have been with them ever since. The closest branch to me is about 75 miles away but I can use other credit union ATMs for deposits or to get cash. No fees and I get interest on all my accounts, even though it's a crummy rate right now.