S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Pet peeves at the office

Old 04-12-2006 | 12:38 PM
Gold Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

Wahhhhh, . I've developed one for my at home office: the kids who just drop in saying, is there anything here to eat? Do you have any money I can "borrow"? Just when the words were flowing . . . sigh, I think I'll just take off early so I can go mow the grass.
Old 04-12-2006 | 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by valentine,Apr 12 2006, 04:38 PM
Wahhhhh, . I've developed one for my at home office: the kids who just drop in saying, is there anything here to eat? Do you have any money I can "borrow"? Just when the words were flowing . . . sigh, I think I'll just take off early so I can go mow the grass.
Same here. "Daddy, can you play with me?" while looking up with those big blue eyes and a soulful expression. Don't you just hate it????

No.

JonasM
Old 04-12-2006 | 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by grannyrod,Apr 12 2006, 11:15 AM
And how many folks are in your space at any given time, AJ? And you can keep your files near you?

Edit: AND you can decorate? Love your wallpaper.
There are two of us assigned to the cubicle with one "guest" chair. The upright files are also less than half my caseload.
Old 04-12-2006 | 02:00 PM

What's currently boiling my grits?

Yesterday morning I checked the antivirus server and discovered 2 workstations with the same virus which the client protection software had caught and quarantined. So I permanently deleted the files and went to one of the stations to run another scan which came up clean.

When I rebooted the machine the virus (a Trojan horse) reappeared and was again quarantined.

Cut to the chase:

After spending the best part of two days searching the AV vendor support site and Googling, I determined the problem came from a link embedded in an email both lusers opened and followed. I then removed the files and registry entries and now it's all good.

I don't know which irritates me more - users with lowered security settings who abuse the privilege or the people who create and distribute the malware.
Old 04-12-2006 | 05:41 PM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Apr 12 2006, 01:03 PM
Huh. I didn't know you were in a big firm Angela. I thought you and some of your friends had rented space in a basement and were taking customer service calls for Microsoft.
Bill,

Angela lives in Bowie, Maryland, not New Delhi.
Old 04-12-2006 | 07:10 PM

My office is just a little bigger than a closet too

My biggest peeve is when people on other shifts (my employees)(I cant hire or fire though, I am just a supervisor) decide to use my desk and move stuff around and take pens and markers etc.... I come in, in the morning and have to straighten the office before I can get anything done. I am kinda anal about some stuff like that urgggh.
Old 04-12-2006 | 07:16 PM

I hate it when you go into the bathroom to take a dump in one stall, then someone comes in a sits in the stall next to you.

How do you go to town with someone in the next stall?
Old 04-13-2006 | 03:50 AM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

^ Just can't get away from this subject, can we?

You would *love* reading Gene Weingarten's chats on washingtonpost.com. Check them out. They are hilarious and are archived so you can read old ones. Poop is one of his favorite subjects. One whole chat was devoted to office/public bathroom etiquette (for women mainly). I was amazed at the rituals people go through. Sounds like you men don't have many.
Old 04-13-2006 | 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by MsPerky,Apr 13 2006, 07:50 AM
^ Just can't get away from this subject, can we?

You would *love* reading Gene Weingarten's chats on washingtonpost.com. Check them out. They are hilarious and are archived so you can read old ones. Poop is one of his favorite subjects. One whole chat was devoted to office/public bathroom etiquette (for women mainly). I was amazed at the rituals people go through. Sounds like you men don't have many.
Men's Bathroom Quiz
------------------------

In case you're not being sufficiently challenged today, the following quiz should do the trick.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

The following is the urinal configuration in a sample men's room.
An X instead of the number will indicate "in use."

(Sample)

| 1 | 2 | X | 4 | 5 | X | indicates men are at stalls 3 and 6.
-------------------------

You are to identify correctly, based on urinal etiquette, at which stall you are to correctly stand. Good luck!

--------------------
Easy Section
--------------------

1.)

| 1 | X | 3 | X | 5 | 6 | (Stalls 2 and 4 occupied.)

Your choice: __

Answer:Stall 6 It's the ONLY one to go to and every guy instinctively knows this.

2.)

| X | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (1 occupied.)

Answer: Stall 6 Stall 5 is acceptable, but you run a greater risk of being next to someone who arrives later.

Kind of tricky Section:

3.)

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (empty)
--------------------------

Answer(kind of tricky): stalls 1 or 6 You are tacitly saying, "I don't want anyone next to me."

4.)

| 1 | X | 3 | X | 5 | X | (2, 4 and 6 occupied)

Your choice: ___

Answer(kind of tricky): stall 1 - You're stuck being next to at least ONE guy, so you minimize the impact and get a wall on your left. NEVER go between TWO guys if you can help it. Exceptions to this are stadium restrooms where the herd thunders in.

- < Subtle, tricky, but important to know Section -

| 1 | X | 3 | 4 | X | X | (2, 5 and 6 occupied)

Answer(HARD!): stall 4 Believe it or not, 1 and 3 "couples" you with the guy in stall 2. And we wouldn't want THAT now, would we? This differs from question 4 in such a subtle way that the nuances cannot be explained. Suffice to say, only we men would understand!

- << VERY tricky indeed Section -

6.)

| X | X | 3 | 4 | X | X | (1, 2, 5 and 6 occupied)

Your choice: ___

Answer(DAMN HARD!): NONE! You go to the mirror and pretend to comb your hair or straighten a tie until the urinals "open up" a bit more. If you have to go REAL, REAL BAD...for god's sake, man!...use a doored stall.

Other parts of the Unwritten Code of the Urinals:

-- NO Talking, unless it's a good friend... but even then, keep it terse and unemotional. This ain't no clubhouse.

-- I don't think I need to tell you, absolutely NO touching of anyone other than yourself. A touch of another's elbow is of the highest offense.

-- NO Singing. Period.

-- Glances are for purposes of acknowledging only..."Yeah, I see you there. I will not look again".

JonasM
Old 04-13-2006 | 04:12 AM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

Hmmmm...well I guess there is more going on in the men's room than I thought.

Quick Reply: Pet peeves at the office