S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

pet health insurance

Old 02-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,997 Likes on 2,667 Posts
Default pet health insurance

Does anyone have it or has anyone ever looked at it?

it certainly is novel concept.
I played with the VPI site to get an idea of what was covered etc.

I was a little amused by one thing that was not covered:
Elective and cosmetic procedures
the other was orthodontics, I mean what good is a plan if they won't cover my dog if he loses his retainer

turns out it runs about 35-50 bucks a month for coverage for my dog's breed which is mastiff.

discuss.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:15 PM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

I believe your pets health care is buried somewhere in the new stimulus bill.

I tried for pet insurance for my goldfish but they smelled something fishy.

They won't insure my birds called me a fly away proposition.

But the last time my parrot was at the vet it was 300 bucks.

fltsfshr
Old 02-17-2009, 01:55 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Belive it or not i need this. My wife made an appointment to have our
Boston Terrier's teeth cleaned, something about bacteria.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:06 PM

Received 3,207 Likes on 1,857 Posts

Thomas and Sveta of NE have just purchased the insurance. My sis has always had dogs...I don't think she has ever purchased the insurance.

Our cat is running around without insurance. She has no income, so maybe the gov't will take care of her if she gets sick.

JOKING! NOT POLITICAL!
Old 02-17-2009, 02:14 PM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

My vet is pretty reasonable, so I don't think I would be ahead if I had purchased the insurance, although my shepherd has been in many times.
As for teeth, a friend of mine is a retired dentist and gave me a few dental tools. I get in there and scrape and chip the gunk off her teeth once in a while. She is very trusting off my dental skills. And I am trusting her not to bite my hand off, which would be a snap for her. (no pun intended)
Old 02-18-2009, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kudos to you for cleaning your dog's teeth. A simple solution for what little is "necessary", as it applies to the vast majority of dogs. A big money maker for Vets and very often an unnecessary risk, especially as dogs get older.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:30 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

^ I think thats what the vet said, about his age, he's 10
Old 02-18-2009, 08:07 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 822 Likes on 489 Posts

I take my dog in for annual checkups and to keep up all her vaccinations. She's going in sometime this spring to have her teeth cleaned for the first time in her 8 years. I've always regularly brushed her teeth but her teeth have developed some gunk.

Unless BB has an illness, my vet is very reasonable imho and her annual shots and checkups, etc. usually run less than $200 (about $60 of which is for flea/tick prevention that I apply monthly).
OTOH, her grooming fees run about $25 to $30 every two months, but I have no skills with scissors or toenail clippers, etc. They do a good job and keep her ears, etc. clean which saves her a lot of irritation and keeps us out of the vets office.
I truly admire my vet and drive about 20 miles to get to his office. He's a country vet who treats cows, pigs, horses, cats, dogs, birds and just about anything except people. He lives in my neighborhood and often stops out in the yard just to say hi to BB when he's hiking or biking in the area. Really nice guy and dedicated physician. to those who love animals.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Val: You're a wise pet owner in my book. Except for a few breeds, age 6 is a good time to have the teeth checked. If they really need it at that point, then perhaps twice per lifetime will do.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,668 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by RC - Ryder,Feb 18 2009, 11:28 AM
...snip...A big money maker for Vets and very often an unnecessary risk, especially as dogs get older.
^^^You confirmed my suspicions. Our Westie is almost 13, and had her teeth cleaned by our vet last year. Do you think we can get by for a couple more years if she shows no signs of dental issues? Every annual visit they push for the cleaning, but the last time she was really out of it for a day or so afterward. Thanks for your advice.

Quick Reply: pet health insurance