S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Are people friendly in your area?

Old 09-14-2006, 05:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm from the South so of course they are friendly and make eye contact.

Many will initiate a conversation, which can be a prob if you are in a hurry.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since we got the S last October, I have been surprised how many "mini-conversations" have happened at traffic signals - or even just driving down the road. I think it has something to do with being more exposed to the other drivers than we are all closed up in an air-conditioned greenhouse. Many compliments on the car. The Yellow really attracts attention.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:04 AM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras,Sep 14 2006, 09:06 AM
Jerry, I wonder if it has anything to do with your attitude while you're on vacation. I know I'm happier and friendlier when I'm traveling in my S on any journey, or traveling back east for a meet, than when I'm just running errands within a 25 mile radius.
Good point, Patty. When one is relaxed and carefree, even if for a short time, it IS easier to be friendly, than if you are hurried.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:07 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Lainey, what's on the vacation agenda today?
Old 09-14-2006, 06:09 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy,Sep 14 2006, 08:09 AM
I'm from the South so of course they are friendly and make eye contact.

Many will initiate a conversation, which can be a prob if you are in a hurry.
People are very nice down here. Most will go out of their way to be friendly.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lifestyle and "what's on your mind" has so much to do with this topic ... even in the South, where the pace has been traditionally slower and more laid back, the areas where industry is moving in and the population centers are growing, the "lifestyle" is accelerating rapidly, and you'll find pockets where no one has time for anybody but themselves. Sad to see that happeining, but in general, most people do take time to be friendly.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:21 AM

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by Countnkick,Sep 14 2006, 09:45 AM
Lifestyle and "what's on your mind" has so much to do with this topic ... even in the South, where the pace has been traditionally slower and more laid back, the areas where industry is moving in and the population centers are growing, the "lifestyle" is accelerating rapidly, and you'll find pockets where no one has time for anybody but themselves. Sad to see that happeining, but in general, most people do take time to be friendly.
^^ +1 came to the south for the first time when he went to grad school at the University of South Carolina. He thought the southerners were slow until he got up to go to class and thought he could sprint across campus. He then figured out that we move a bit more slowly with good reason. He almost fainted from the humidity/heat and discovered he had to adjust to the southern pace. We move a bit more slowly with extremely good reason, its called self-preservation. The climate predicates how quickly we move.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:29 AM

Miami ranks number one on every negative category that exists in the US which makes us very proud plus we
Old 09-14-2006, 07:46 AM

Good point about how people in the South move more slowly than the rest of the country. I never thought about the humidity being a factor! Sometimes, though, I also think that people in the southern states are more prone to being friendly. Maybe that whole "Southern hospitality" stereotype?
Old 09-14-2006, 04:54 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,157 Posts

This thread has made me think about my office. We have about 100 people, 90 of whom sit in cubicles. Everyone says hello to everyone passing by, and everyone is expected to respond. Every e-mail is ended with the word "Thanks" and everyone says "goodmorning" every morning and "goodnight" every night.

The only trouble is nobody means it. Its just an automatic response.

Quick Reply: Are people friendly in your area?