S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Are people friendly in your area?

Old 09-13-2006, 07:07 PM

Received 3,180 Likes on 1,836 Posts
Default Are people friendly in your area?

Today while walking in Newport, RI, on the Cliff Walk,we passed by many people. I observed how some folks don't hesitate to make eye contact and exchange "Hello's" or "Nice day!" and others seem to go out of their way to avoid it.

When I go for a walk in our area, I generally will pass along a "Hello" or a "good morning" to those I pass. Sometimes I initiate the exchange other times it's the other party. While no one is cheerful all the time, I'm amazed at those who look like it kills them to exchange a greeting.

Do people in your area exchange a greeting, or are they "eyes to the ground?"
Old 09-13-2006, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People in the city I live in (Antioch, CA) are nice... for the most part. Not counting some of the people who have come from the "ghetto" (Oakland, Richmond, etc.). It seems to be ingrained in their minds that they need to cop an attitude or they will either be beat up or ridiculed.

In San Ramon, where I work, it is a different story. People are either very friendly and greet you in the grocery store or in the halls at work... or they totally ignore you even if you smile and say hello first. And yes, you occasionally come across those people who absolutely refuse to take their eyes off the ground!
Old 09-13-2006, 07:22 PM

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,155 Posts

Nope. Not in New York, not in New Jersey. But at least we know what to expect.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:54 PM

Received 3,479 Likes on 1,887 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey8484,Sep 13 2006, 08:07 PM
Do people in your area exchange a greeting, or are they "eyes to the ground?"
In Acton, I'd say people are generally friendly. I pick up my mail everyday down the street at the Acton Post Office, and it's normal to have people hold the door open for others. It's a small town so many times you'll see someone you know and exchange greetings.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:23 AM

Generally, snarls or blank stares are more prevalent than pleasantries around here. Very close to home, in a pretty diverse neighborhood, we've been taking after-dinner walks, and there's a cadre of folks who do, too. We've all come to recognize each other and generally say some form of "hi"; but there are a couple of people who are in the blank stare mode after months of this. It's so pathetic it's almost humorous. HPH
Old 09-14-2006, 03:46 AM

Received 808 Likes on 483 Posts

People here aren't unfriendly and once your face becomes familiar most people will speak, say hello, good morning/afternoon, etc. I see a lot of the same faces out walking and they always speak as they walk wayyyyy around to avoid my dog .
Old 09-14-2006, 03:50 AM

Interesting question. In the subdivision we just moved from most people were to concerned to say hi or to take time to talk. Eveyone seems to be on a mission. In the new area we live in (Over 55 community) everyone waves, says hello, or just takes time to talk even if you don't know them. We take a 2 mile walk each evening and 3 out of 7 times we will just chat with someone else out walking. Its more than a hello you find out where they moved from, family, likes, etc. Its amazing that you can spend an hour or two getting to know a complete stranger. It must be that a high number of the people are retired and can take the time to chat. No urgency to make any appointments. It has taken awhile to get used to a more relaxed life style.

Its great!
Old 09-14-2006, 04:43 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Our 'small town' just outside Philly metro is friendly....especially since more politically progressive folks have moved in.

OTOH, we are always amazed at how people 'out west' seem to be more friendly than the general population 'back east'
Old 09-14-2006, 04:57 AM

Received 123 Likes on 81 Posts

In my area of NY people are very friendly. It is very common for them to acknowledge you by saying hi, or good morning, etc....
Old 09-14-2006, 05:06 AM

Received 3,479 Likes on 1,887 Posts

Originally Posted by paS2K,Sep 14 2006, 05:43 AM
OTOH, we are always amazed at how people 'out west' seem to be more friendly than the general population 'back east'
Jerry, I wonder if it has anything to do with your attitude while you're on vacation. I know I'm happier and friendlier when I'm traveling in my S on any journey, or traveling back east for a meet, than when I'm just running errands within a 25 mile radius.

Quick Reply: Are people friendly in your area?