S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

PC Pioneers

Old 11-20-2005, 12:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This whole thing always amuses me. People seem to think that if they weren't the first people in history to act a certain way, then at least it must have been their parents or their kids.

I'm sure "correct" speech or "polite" speech started about the time Lucy was wandering around in Africa.

Certainly the existence of rules about what you can say in "mixed company" predate written language (although the rules themselves are somewhat transient).
Old 11-20-2005, 12:44 PM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Nov 20 2005, 04:36 PM
This whole thing always amuses me. People seem to think that if they weren't the first people in history to act a certain way, then at least it must have been their parents or their kids.

I'm sure "correct" speech or "polite" speech started about the time Lucy was wandering around in Africa.

Certainly the existence of rules about what you can say in "mixed company" predate written language (although the rules themselves are somewhat transient).
right on the money

fltsfshr
Old 11-20-2005, 01:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fltsfshr,Nov 19 2005, 05:24 AM
Neither did Mark Twain and lots of other authors condemned for using the language of their time.
Mark Twain is a different matter. He was using language in order to draw attention to it. Huck Finn was controversial from the time it was published because of its language. By using the "crude vernacular" of the spoken langauge that his characters would have really used, he went against the literary conventions of his day.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dean,Nov 20 2005, 03:43 PM
Compared to the Puritans, the people of the Victorian era were degenerate libertines. I can't think of another group within U.S. history that had such a huge stick up its collective ass.
Dean, I'm sure you're right. Puritans didn't make it to the curriculum in Irish schools, so I've never read anything on them, that I remember.

If I'm reading about the mores of yesteryear, I usually find the exploits of Caligula, the Marquis De Sade and Gilles De Rais much more interesting