S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

"payless paydays"

Old 07-17-2009, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "payless paydays"

Several news stories indicate that Pennsylvania state employees are working, but not getting paid. Apparently, there's a "promise" to pay what they are owed if the petty politicians ever pass a budget bill. Meanwhile the governor and legislators just live their lives as if nothing is wrong.

Personally, I think the legislators should be sequestered until they get the governor's signature on a budget: no going home to the family, no fundraisers (OUCH!!!!), nothing.

What a disgrace: the Commonwealth of PA is apparently at least temporarily insolvent. Because where I come from, if you can't pay what you owe, you're insolvent.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:28 PM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

We are having similar problems in Kentucky. Since fewer new cars are being sold, there is less tax revenue. Therefore, DMV workers are working a shorter week, which reduces their pay.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you hear people say "we need to cut government spending," guess what that means?

Facts of life in a depression/recession/"economic turndown"....
Old 07-17-2009, 08:45 PM

Actually, the PA workers aren't working less. They just aren't getting paid for it, at least not now. There's a "promise" that they'll be paid, but as of now they aren't even getting IOU's.

So essentially, the PA state government is insolvent. At least by my standards. Personally, I'm at a point in my life where if my employer couldn't meet payroll, I'd tell them to take their job and shove it.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If PA is like most other states -- with constitutional clauses requiring a balanced budget and disallowing deficit spending via borrowing -- this "promise to pay" business is probably quite illegal. After all, instead of borrowing from a bank, the commonwealth is borrowing from its employees (at zero interest, I bet).

It would be more honest, and legal, of the PA powers-that-be to put people on partial appointments (i.e., make their jobs part-time, temporarily) or to furlough them without pay. HPH
Old 07-18-2009, 05:10 AM

Received 3,726 Likes on 2,512 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet sitter,Jul 17 2009, 10:28 PM
We are having similar problems in Kentucky. Since fewer new cars are being sold, there is less tax revenue. Therefore, DMV workers are working a shorter week, which reduces their pay.
in thoery at least, there is a correlation.
if there are fewer registrations there should be less work to do, hence less hours.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by DrCloud,Jul 18 2009, 07:53 AM
If PA is like most other states -- with constitutional clauses requiring a balanced budget and disallowing deficit spending via borrowing -- this "promise to pay" business is probably quite illegal. After all, instead of borrowing from a bank, the commonwealth is borrowing from its employees (at zero interest, I bet).

It would be more honest, and legal, of the PA powers-that-be to put people on partial appointments (i.e., make their jobs part-time, temporarily) or to furlough them without pay. HPH
That is exactly the problem. And apparently, a judge ruled that the state constituiton trumps the Federal law requiring timely payment for work performed. So the politicians just keep posturing during the week, going home on the weekend, and the workers don't get paychecks.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

State employees in California currently have to take off 3 days without pay per month. There is also talk of a 5% pay cut (no day off). The legislature can volunteer to take a pay cut, but it isn't mandatory like the rest of us.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:00 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

^^

I believe California is also handing out I.O.U.'s in lieu of salary to some state employees.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:10 PM

C'mon people. Let's start a populist movement trashing Pennsylvania's governor and legislators. These c@#$%^&*()s should be held accountable for taking the Commonwealth into insolvency. Because, remember, the state didn't make payroll.

Quick Reply: "payless paydays"