S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Pawley's Island

Old 10-16-2012, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pawley's Island

Just got a wedding invite for my eldest nephew. Wedding is in March at the United Methodist Church in Myrtle Beach, followed by a reception at the Caledonia Golf and Fish Club in Pawley's Island.

Val, you ever heard of this place? What's the skinny on it?

Dave
Old 10-16-2012, 04:30 PM
mlc

Hey Dave,

I have friends that live on Pawley's Island, actually they live at the River Club and are members there and Litchfield.

I have played Cladedonia and True Blue both are very nice but haven't had the food. Caledonia is nice old school southern style club house and grounds, tree lined entrance etc.

Were you going to stay down there?
Old 10-16-2012, 04:42 PM

Either Litchfield by the Sea or the Hampton a few blocks inland. In March, not sure being on the beach is required.

So likely a coat and tie for Caledonia, eh?

Originally Posted by mlc
Hey Dave,

I have friends that live on Pawley's Island, actually they live at the River Club and are members there and Litchfield.

I have played Cladedonia and True Blue both are very nice but haven't had the food. Caledonia is nice old school southern style club house and grounds, tree lined entrance etc.

Were you going to stay down there?
Old 10-16-2012, 05:17 PM
mlc

Dave, I think that is more the wedding then the place. It is basically a nice golf club but most people are in shorts and golf shirt.

I always wear a suit to a wedding but that is just me, you can always dress down as the day goes along.

Hopefully someone that lives down there can give you a better idea.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:20 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 822 Likes on 489 Posts

We've been to Caledonia many times for meals. Its nice, but not over the top and the dining facility is lovely and elegant. Your attire will depend on the tone of the wedding but I would assume you'd need to "dress up". Litchfield by the Sea is highly recommended and the Hampton is just across the highway from Litchfield by the Sea. Both are very nice, by LBTS is wayyyy nicer and fronts on the beach. It also has much better amenities including an onsite Starbucks. Hampton Inn has a pool but it may not be open in March. They are both only a couple of miles from my home. The beach is always open and LBTS may have an indoor swimming facility. Litchfield by the Sea's website: http://www.litchfieldbeach.com/accommodations/

March is usually a lovely time of year for a visit here. It is cool, but not cold (except for the water). There are few tourists so traffic is not bad, the restaurants are not crowded and Brookgreen Gardens is gorgeous. If you'll give me a headsup before you get here, we'd love to see you and I'll email directions so we can get together. If you plan to stay a few days and are looking for places to see/go, send me a pm with your email addy. I think you'll love the area. It has its charm but is "arrogantly shabby."
Old 10-17-2012, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by valentine
We've been to Caledonia many times for meals. Its nice, but not over the top and the dining facility is lovely and elegant. Your attire will depend on the tone of the wedding but I would assume you'd need to "dress up". Litchfield by the Sea is highly recommended and the Hampton is just across the highway from Litchfield by the Sea. Both are very nice, by LBTS is wayyyy nicer and fronts on the beach. It also has much better amenities including an onsite Starbucks. Hampton Inn has a pool but it may not be open in March. They are both only a couple of miles from my home. The beach is always open and LBTS may have an indoor swimming facility. Litchfield by the Sea's website: http://www.litchfieldbeach.com/accommodations/

March is usually a lovely time of year for a visit here. It is cool, but not cold (except for the water). There are few tourists so traffic is not bad, the restaurants are not crowded and Brookgreen Gardens is gorgeous. If you'll give me a headsup before you get here, we'd love to see you and I'll email directions so we can get together. If you plan to stay a few days and are looking for places to see/go, send me a pm with your email addy. I think you'll love the area. It has its charm but is "arrogantly shabby."

Thanks Val! Exactly what I wanted to know. We'll be doing the usual whirlwind tour, Arriving afternoon of March 22. Perhaps we could get together with you and Jim
that Friday evening? Saturday will be family and wedding stuff, and then heading for home on Sunday to work Monday (sigh). We'll be in touch as the plans firm up.

But it will be nice to get out of town! I've not been to Pawleys in about 40 years.... My wife would kill for the Starbucks, but my daughter will kill for the Hampton breakfast, so I am going to let them decide.

Kevin, I only wear a suit to funerals these days. In the crowd we'll be with, I won't be the only one in a sport coat and tie

Thank you both!

Dave
Old 10-18-2012, 01:57 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

That'd be great. Hope you enjoy your time here. Just a couple/miles south of the Hampton is a great coffee shop called BAREFOOT BARISTA. WAYYYY better than Starbucks and with a lot more ambience. Your wife will love it.

PS: Dave, whether you stay at Litchfield Inn or the Hampton, you'll be verrry close to a small strip mall with a few eateries and just down Willbrook Rd (the road beside the Hampton's parking lot) about a block to the left is Mingo. If you'll turn into Mingo on your left will be a fabulous bakery called Kudzu that has delicious desserts and offers sandwiches, fresh baked goods, etc. If you turn right in Mingo there is a nice restaurant that we enjoy from time to time called Quigley's Pint and Plate. Link: Quigley's

There is a bar/restaurant in the little strip mall as well, but I've never been there so I can't recommend it. There's a pizzeria and an Eggs up Grill in the strip mall too.
In any event, give me a headsup in advance of your visit and if you'd like, we'll show you a bit of the area. Pawley's Island changes little and still is as laid back as it was 40 yrs ago. People come here for fishing, golfing and beach relaxation. There are no amusement parks, etc. It is a quaint little place.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:39 PM

GREAT! Thanks again, Val! We're looking forward to getting down that way, and it is priceless to have the insight of a local! My wife Karen is definitely excited by the Barefoot Barista - since it is an evening wedding we'll have some Saturday morning time.

We will be in touch as the time gets closer and make some plans - maybe Quigley's on that Friday night!

Look forward to seeing you and Jim! Unfortunately, we'll be in the CR-V but, that's life

Dave
Old 10-19-2012, 02:07 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Unfortunately, we'll be in the CR-V but, that's life
Don't feel bad, we'll be in a volvo.