S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Patty and Chet's CrossTour thread

Old 08-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,547 Likes on 1,917 Posts

Originally Posted by raymo19
You need a set of those and the moonroof visor as well. I'm thinking you could convince Jerry to install them fairly easily.
My sister said they are just stick-ons. I think I can handle that but I don't really need them. You know how it is, It never rains in Southern California. la la la... Well, except when it floods and the hill behind your house becomes a mudslide.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Member (Premium)

Hey, Raymo, have you had any problem with your Crosstour being thirsty for oil? I read a thread on the Crosstour forum so I checked mine. At 2,157 miles I had to add 1/2 a quart. Today, five and half weeks, and 3,079 miles later, I had to add 3/4ths a quart.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
Hey, Raymo, have you had any problem with your Crosstour being thirsty for oil? I read a thread on the Crosstour forum so I checked mine. At 2,157 miles I had to add 1/2 a quart. Today, five and half weeks, and 3,079 miles later, I had to add 3/4ths a quart.
Haven't had to add any so far. But it sits in the garage most days and only has about a third of your miles. There's no oil on the garage floor so at least we can assume it's burning under some conditions rather than leaking.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by raymo19
Originally Posted by Kyras' timestamp='1317074945' post='21008582
Haven't had to add any so far. But it sits in the garage most days and only has about a third of your miles. There's no oil on the garage floor so at least we can assume it's burning under some conditions rather than leaking.
Yes, it's definitely not leaking. I'm not the only one with the problem. I think I'll get the oil changed and see if that helps.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:21 AM
Member (Premium)

I called Norm Reeves Honda in Cerritos, CA and told them that my Crosstour has burned about 1 1/2 quarts of oil in the 5,000+ miles I have on it. The service advisor said that, "they will burn the break-in oil up fast". I am going to get the oil changed tomorrow even though it's still at 50% oil life, since I've got 5,372 miles on it now. Free oil change since I bought it there and another $20 to rotate the tires. I'll be checking to see if it really stops burning oil once the break-in oil is out.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:02 PM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

Patty I remember our S used a lot of oil when it was new, so they are probably telling you the truth.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 377 Posts

Patty, I think you may need some serious high speed driving to seat the rings. That's what I do with every new car I buy. Works for me.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:14 PM

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

on the "high speed driving" to set the rings.

Patty, we have been looking closely at the Crosstour. One of my reservations is the "Variable Cylinder Management" system which leaves 2 or 3 cylinders 'dead' (but the parts are still moving) under light to moderate load. That has to cause temperature differences between firing and non-firing cylinders, which could very well be responsible for some oil consumption. Good you are keeping an eye on it.

I'm a bit disappointed that the VCM doesn't get better mileage. There is only 2 mpg difference between the Crosstour's mileage and that of the hotter... and 600 pound heavier... Acura ZDX. ZDX also has a more exotic 4WD and some other technology, but all in all it is way too much $$$. Honda isn't getting much benefit from VCM in my view, and it does not appear in my view that the benefit was worth the effort... besides, it is just something else to potentially cause a problem down the road.

Having said all that, I suspect a Crosstour will wind up in our driveway within the next month or two.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by canberra
on the "high speed driving" to set the rings.

Patty, we have been looking closely at the Crosstour. One of my reservations is the "Variable Cylinder Management" system which leaves 2 or 3 cylinders 'dead' (but the parts are still moving) under light to moderate load. That has to cause temperature differences between firing and non-firing cylinders, which could very well be responsible for some oil consumption. Good you are keeping an eye on it.

I'm a bit disappointed that the VCM doesn't get better mileage. There is only 1 mpg difference between the Crosstour's mileage and that of the hotter... and 600 pound heavier... Acura ZDX. ZDX also has a more exotic 4WD and some other technology, but all in all it is way too much $$$. Honda isn't getting much benefit from VCM in my view, and it does not appear in my view that the benefit was worth the effort... besides, it is just something else to potentially cause a problem down the road.

Having said all that, I suspect a Crosstour will wind up in our driveway within the next month or two.
The cargo space and passenger room is much less in the ZDX isn't it? Doesn't the ZDX take premium gasoline? I'm not sure about these things but I think so. My mileage has been great on longer trips. When I keep it in town, driving from one long red light to the next one, I'm getting around 18 mpg but on my trip to Colorado I got a high of 30.4 mpg twice, and 25 to 28 mpg at other times. The more I have it the more I love it. It's very powerful when you're already moving (great for passing) although from a dead stop it doesn't get up and go all that fast.

Do you know what color you might buy? There are two colors right now, that are changing for the 2012. This year there are Glacier Blue Metallic(mine) and Tango Red Pearl (CR-V has it too). Those are being dropped for 2012 models and replaced with Twilight Blue Metallic and Basque Red Pearl II. It's hard to tell from the 2012 brochure but it looks like Twilight Blue Metallic will be a medium blue, and much better in my opinion, than the Glacier Blue I bought.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:36 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by canberra

Roy, if you're interested there's a very S L O W website for Crosstour owners: CrosstourOwnersClub.

Quick Reply: Patty and Chet's CrossTour thread