S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Passing

Old 08-27-2024, 05:36 PM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

It's been five years today since my younger sister died at age 62. Rick and I were with her when she passed and I can still see that day in the hospital so vividly in my mind. Of the loses I have experienced, losing her was the most difficult. I still have a and feel so badly for her sons who lost their mom too soon and for her grandchildren who didn't get to know her as they were so little when she passed. She would have been a wonderful grandmother.

Every loss is different. The loss of Rick's Dad was harder in some ways than the loss of my own Dad. My Dad had been ill for some time while his Dad died suddenly.
The following 3 users liked this post by Lainey:
Kyras (08-27-2024), Scooterboy (08-27-2024), zeroptzero (08-27-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 10:04 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
That is weird. We were emotional when our 17 year old poodle died but were more emotional when our parents died. After all they brought us into this world and cared for us until they passed. No animal could ever replace them.
You know nothing about my parents so how can you judge me? Your life experiences have absolutely nothing to do with mine. You don't have a clue about me.

Originally Posted by valentine
Not everyone (myself included) can say that all our emotional needs were met by our home environment. I still grieve for my pets who were nonjudgmental and asked nothing of me but kindness. It is not weird to grieve for our beloved pets as they replaced some of the family members in my life who were not as loving and kind. You have no idea how much they meant to me and years later I grieve their passing.
Exactly! I don't miss every pet I ever owned. Kyras was my third child, in my heart. He protected my two kids and me. He was a German Shepherd. He knew who was bad and who was good. One time a man came to the side door of my house and Kyras lunged at the man's crotch when I opened the door. He just let the guy know that he/Kyras was on duty and nothing bad was going to happen to me. Another time, Kyras lunged at a man we knew, who had put a black cloth bag over his head and was reaching for my two young children. He didn't hurt the man but he tore his shirt and let him know that those were his kids and he wasn't going to let the man hurt them. I was impressed. All he ever did was love the four of us. My parents weren't like that.

Originally Posted by boltonblue
I think when it comes to the death of parents, we may be more likely to build up an emotional wall to block out the pain.
I think we just let our grief happen with pets.

Another element to dealing with a parent's passing is the condition of the parent.
I know when my mom passed she had been physically declining for a very long time.
So although still mentally acute, she was unhappy and mentally tired. She was existing but not really living.
Patty if I recall your Dad had Alzheimer's. Death, then, is simply the final page of the long goodbye.
The grieving has been stretched out over a long time and death is simply relief.
Yes, Jerry, my dad had Alzheimer's and was a shell of a human being. The lights weren't on anymore. He just sat and stared. I watched it slowly happen. I loved him and he knew who I was for some months and was so happy to see me and then he didn't have a clue or even acknowledge that I was there. As he was dying I sat with him and wet his lips with a sponge tool while talking to him telling him I loved him. I wanted him to know that. My mom had an unexpected death in her bed. We weren't on good terms.

Last edited by Kyras; 08-27-2024 at 11:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
valentine (08-28-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 04:14 AM

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
It's been five years today since my younger sister died at age 62. ...
Every loss is different. The loss of Rick's Dad was harder in some ways than the loss of my own Dad. My Dad had been ill for some time while his Dad died suddenly.
The loss of my sister was much harder for me than the loss of my parents and I still grieve for her years later. My dad had been ill for many years before he died and I grieved his loss but was able to appreciate that his suffering was over. My mother died rather suddenly and it took a good while before I could even think of her without breaking down. Through all of this, my dogs were a comfort to me and I grieved their passing with tremendous difficulty. Like Patty, my dogs were like children to me and loved me no matter what. I read a little piece once that said you should find a companion who loves you like your dogs do. I agree.
Old 08-28-2024, 06:14 AM

Received 3,767 Likes on 2,658 Posts

Originally Posted by valentine
The loss of my sister was much harder for me than the loss of my parents and I still grieve for her years later. My dad had been ill for many years before he died and I grieved his loss but was able to appreciate that his suffering was over.
This describes my situation 100%.

I was just driving through a parking lot today and my wife mentioned that she fixed a picture that we had of my sister. In the picture she was hugging my son at his communion celebration, it has been one of our favourite pictures and the frame needed repair. My eyes teared up just talking about the picture today, it hits me like a ton of bricks some days and it comes out of no where unexpectedly.
The following users liked this post:
valentine (08-29-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 12:52 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,642 Posts

Via Facebook, I just learned of the passing of my cousin's spouse who took his own life on Monday afternoon.
Apparently there were no red flags or down and out moments.
3 days ago my cousin made a post about planning to go back to Disney and there was a goofy pic with both of them clowning around with big smiles.
Old 08-28-2024, 01:12 PM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

So sad, Jerry.
Old 08-28-2024, 02:59 PM

Received 419 Likes on 383 Posts

R.I.P
Old 08-28-2024, 03:30 PM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

That is too bad Jerry. May he rest in peace.

I have found that depression can hide in plain sight and can raise its ugly head at any time.
The following 2 users liked this post by Scooterboy:
Kyras (08-30-2024), valentine (08-29-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 08:24 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
That is too bad Jerry. May he rest in peace.

I have found that depression can hide in plain sight and can raise its ugly head at any time.
Does crying help? It does for me, at least temporarily.
Old 08-30-2024, 12:52 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,642 Posts

True depression in the clinical sense is scary.
A few months after my dad died I was visiting at my uncles, i.e. his oldest brother.
After I left, he put his hunting rifle in his mouth and squeezed the trigger.
Fortunately the angle was canted to the side and the bullet exited above his left ear. He lost an eye but survived.
He had been describing a cart he wanted to build and I had asked challenging questions about it.
I've lived with the nagging question, of did I provoke him somehow ever since.

Quick Reply: Passing