S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Our friend, tomcatt

Old 05-26-2006, 07:38 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,529 Likes on 1,910 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcattsdaughter,May 25 2006, 10:42 PM
Hi everyone. I'm one of tomcatt's daughters...

~Kim
Kim, thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I'm happy to learn that Tom was able to enjoy your company and the S2000 so recently. He was genuine good man.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:45 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,970 Likes on 1,756 Posts

TC posted this on 5/16 in the Spring Fling Activities thread - enthusiastic right to the end.

"We're open for anything on Sunday. Waterfalls/scenic type venues are of interest, as I want to take a lot of photos. We're planning to stay in the area through Tuesday/Wednesday and explore the area, again mainly for scenic views/photography.

We definitely want all that time to be at a relaxed pace, where if it doesn't happen then that's all right."
Old 05-26-2006, 09:18 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

RIP Tomcatt.

Great stories here, thanks to everyone for sharing.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:41 AM
Member (Premium)

[QUOTE=tomcatt,May 14 2006, 08:45 AM]I agree, it is an awesome camera, as is the equivelant Canon version.

Lenses...

Well, lessee...

I have two AFS lenses that I bought with my N2020AF film camera back in the early '80s. I kinda gave up on shooting during the '90s due to the cost of film and prints, and our financial situation at the time. Plus it was terribly inefficient to shoot many rolls of film, only to get them back with better than 50% needing to be tossed.

I always wished for a DSLR that I could use my existing lenses on, but I would wait until they came down to what I was willing to pay.

The two AFS lenses are a 35-70 f3.5-4.5, a 70-210 F4 that is one of the best lenses in that range Nikon has ever produced. Tack sharp throughout the range, no falloff, negligble pincushion, etc. A truly great lens.

When I bought the D70 two years ago, I got the kit with the 18-70 f3.5-f4 AFS/DX lens. Shortly thereafter I picked up a 50mm f1.8, which with the 1.6 crop factor of the D70 makes for a terrific portrait lens. Plus it's only a hundred bucks.

My prize posession though is the 12-24 F4 AFS DX I got earlier this year. I had always wanted a wide angle lens for landscape photography and had a serious lust for this lens from when it first came out. Talk about SHWEET!!!

This is all Nikon glass; I figure if I'm going to spend the $$$ for a good system, I may as well use Nikon's lenses instead of aftermarket ones.

I have a Bogen 3021 tripod from when I got the N2020 film camera, so my only other desireable item was a ball head with quick release for it. I wound up going with the BH-55 from Really Right Stuff. OMG what a work of the machinist's art!!! It's somewhat expensive, but I really can't see going to anything else after having used this one.

Looks like I got kinda wordy on this...
Old 05-26-2006, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have to say Tom was one of the people I was so looking forward to meeting this year. Just from his user name alone I knew this was a person I would enjoy. We had so many conversations about our cats and our love for the Maine Coon breed, not to mention our passion for photography. This is extemely sad news!

My sincere condolences go out to Hilly and the entire family. Tom will be added into my prayers for the dead. I'm so sorry.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very sad news for those of us less behind, but I have true belief Tom has made the ultimate VTEC and now is enjoying that trumpeting echo of the S2K exhaust as he traverses those "Heavenly" twisties dressed with a grand smile on his face as the wind is rushing through his hair.

I never met Tom but several of these Vintage postings, and especially Hilly and Kim, assure me he was a wonderful husband, father and friend. I must admit, I could not read without my eyes tearing up.

My thoughts are with you Tom and also with your family and vintage friends.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:52 PM
Member (Premium)

I got some silver ribbon, some s (red hearts) and knick-knacks today, and I will attempt to make a little memorial ribbon. I bought 13 yards of ribbon and the cashier asked me what I was making. I told her, "I can't tell you or I'll cry." I'll post a photo when I've got one done. I will be honored to make some for the Spring Fling attendees. I got stuff so they can be used as pins or put around the shifter, with a stretchy thread. I just hope the paint pen works on the ribbon.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:07 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,160 Posts

[QUOTE=Kyras,May 26 2006, 07:52 PM] I got some silver ribbon, some
Old 05-26-2006, 05:23 PM

Received 517 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras,May 26 2006, 08:52 PM
I bought 13 yards of ribbon and the cashier asked me what I was making. I told her, "I can't tell you or I'll cry."
That about sums it up for most of us. I started tearing up reading your post.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:32 PM

Received 517 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras,May 26 2006, 08:52 PM
I will be honored to make some for the Spring Fling attendees. I got stuff so they can be used as pins or put around the shifter, with a stretchy thread.
Patty,

Thanks for doing this.

I am happy to learn that you liked the idea of placing them around the shifter. My thought was that our remembrance of TomCat is a Vintage "thing" that others would not have a clue about if the ribbons where on the antenaes for example. Furthermore, by being around the shifter, an active part of the S it would serve as a constant reminder of Tom. Addtionally, it will not weather and therefore provide a lasting rememberance of TomCat long after SF06.

It was just a thought. If others agree with the concept or have other suggestions I would welcome them coming forward with them. That is just my two cents.

What opinions do others have on this please post them.

Quick Reply: Our friend, tomcatt