S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Olympic Opening Ceremony

Old 07-27-2024, 02:05 AM

Received 3,762 Likes on 2,653 Posts

^ That was kind of my thoughts Jim, if you were there in person you would not see very much with the events spread over several separate areas, better seen on TV. The carrying of the torch was mostly done in video form. That fashion show was horrible, call me old fashioned but I don't care for women that have beards

I have a personal dislike of Zidane after his disgraceful performance in a head-butting incident during his last world cup appearance against Italy (which Italy won thanks to his foolishness). Surely France could have found someone better to represent them.

I thought one comment by NBC which said " France was always by America's side" was a bit of an exaggeration. The world liberated France, France is rarely by anyone's side on any important event / matter. France is only on France's side.

Last edited by zeroptzero; 07-27-2024 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-27-2024, 02:48 AM

Received 2,941 Likes on 1,740 Posts

I did not watch it all last night…did see Celine this morning. Amazing performance. Wasn’t sure she would be able to belt it out, but she did. Very emotional moment.
The following users liked this post:
valentine (07-27-2024)
Old 07-27-2024, 04:16 AM

Received 808 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
I did not watch it all last night…did see Celine this morning. Amazing performance. Wasn’t sure she would be able to belt it out, but she did. Very emotional moment.
Watched Celine last night and agree it was very emotional. Only watched part of the rest but thought it was spectacular
dlq04 (07-27-2024)
Old 07-27-2024, 06:33 AM

Received 5,739 Likes on 3,382 Posts

While the constant hard rainfall didn't help I thought the idea of bringing the teams down the Seine was a great idea. In the past I wouldn't spend two minutes watching the teams march into a stadium. But watching the unique diversity of boats and sizes along with identifying non-stop countries I've never heard of was neat. I don't know why you would say the passing of the torch was a video show; what I watched was live and very impressive. Seeing the distance the disabled runners covered including many stairs was impressive. The spectators that braved the rain knew what the limitations would be along the course, the same as watching a car race from the stands. The tower light show - awesome. The ballon lift - awesome. The fashion show - f'n weird but it did send the message that Paris loves diversity. Lets the games begin.
valentine (07-29-2024)
Old 07-27-2024, 07:52 AM

Received 771 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
While the constant hard rainfall didn't help I thought the idea of bringing the teams down the Seine was a great idea. In the past I wouldn't spend two minutes watching the teams march into a stadium. But watching the unique diversity of boats and sizes along with identifying non-stop countries I've never heard of was neat. I don't know why you would say the passing of the torch was a video show; what I watched was live and very impressive. Seeing the distance the disabled runners covered including many stairs was impressive. The spectators that braved the rain knew what the limitations would be along the course, the same as watching a car race from the stands. The tower light show - awesome. The ballon lift - awesome. The fashion show - f'n weird but it did send the message that Paris loves diversity. Lets the games begin.
Amen. I liked it so time to move on.
Old 07-27-2024, 09:02 AM

I often like the monologues at the very start by the networks, Tom Brokaw and NBC did a great one when Canada hosted the olympics in past years, Spielberg and NBC did good job on this one
Old 07-27-2024, 09:46 AM

Received 1,714 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The drag/homosexual element was quite prominent and as I perused the media today, I found my sentiments were not unique. Such a Catholic Christian nation has fallen so much. Ironic they made such a big deal over the fire at Notre Dame and yet they do this. Can you imagine the outcry if they made this about Muhammad?

Last edited by cosmomiller; 07-27-2024 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-28-2024, 04:58 AM

Received 771 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
The drag/homosexual element was quite prominent and as I perused the media today, I found my sentiments were not unique. Such a Catholic Christian nation has fallen so much. Ironic they made such a big deal over the fire at Notre Dame and yet they do this. Can you imagine the outcry if they made this about Muhammad?

Absolutely disgusting and pure mockery.
Old 07-28-2024, 02:00 PM

I have to say some of the venues are very impressive in how they have been constructed. The mountain bike track, horse equestrian track, beach volleyball, tennis courts are all top notch in terms of construction and design. Really nice to see.

I'm amazed that the beach sand does not stick to the athletes when the US women were diving all over the place and all sweaty, its very cool. That is some nice engineered non-stick sand and the women are easy on the eyes too.

Last edited by zeroptzero; 07-28-2024 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-28-2024, 08:02 PM

Received 5,739 Likes on 3,382 Posts

Wow, the overland horse equestrian stuff which we watched was awesome (yeah, in my house I have to watch it). In fact, in my house we watch the "O" non-stop .... the wife loves it and I generally am ok with it ... gym stuff, swimming,, whatever.

Quick Reply: Olympic Opening Ceremony