S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Ok, that's enough hops now.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:20 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Ok, that's enough hops now.

I ordered a flight of locally brewed beer to try out the local micro brews. I could only finish one and I'd never knowingly order any of them again. The reason? Way too much hops. It seems brewers think there is some sort of contest going on to see who can use the most hops in their beer. I think this stuff is undrinkable. Maybe some of you have burnt out enough taste buds to enjoy it. Not me.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:32 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

I have found the magic question is: Is that beer a California brewer of is it a California "style" beer. The overuse of hops is a current craze. The insanity came out of Lagunitas and Russian River (you might want to Pliney the Elder from RR ever). I find that the Belgian Style Dubbels, Triples and Quads have a much lower hop content, but they do tend to be a bit "boozey".
Old 05-23-2016, 06:41 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Here is a link to an IBU (International Bittering Units) IBU chart Most small brewers will give the IBU count. The higher the number the more hopping,
Old 05-23-2016, 06:56 AM

Received 790 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by Zippy
I have found the magic question is: Is that beer a California brewer of is it a California "style" beer. The overuse of hops is a current craze. The insanity came out of Lagunitas and Russian River (you might want to Pliney the Elder from RR ever). I find that the Belgian Style Dubbels, Triples and Quads have a much lower hop content, but they do tend to be a bit "boozey".
Ken, have you ever tried Dogfish Head, I don't find it to contain a high level of hops. The folks enjoyed the DFH tour in spite of the rain. Good seeing you and Paulie.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:22 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,539 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I am not a big fan of modern "styles" of beer, no matter what micro brewery or region generates them.

Just an old fashioned fart, here.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:58 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
Originally Posted by Zippy' timestamp='1464013965' post='23974073
Ken, have you ever tried Dogfish Head, I don't find it to contain a high level of hops. The folks enjoyed the DFH tour in spite of the rain. Good seeing you and Paulie.
DFH does a lot of IPAs, which a bit too hoppy by-and-large for my taste. That said, I do find the 90 Min. from them to be okay.

It was good to see you again as well, it's been a while. I didn't see you on Sat., I would have asked back to the dinner, I had one paid (Nancy) that went unused.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:47 PM

Received 3,209 Likes on 1,859 Posts

Rick enjoys his beer. He is however, not a fan of all the "hoppy" beers out there. He enjoys trying new beer and is disappointed if we head to a new place to find a huge selection of hoppy IPAs. As Zippy says, it does appear to be a trend.

There's a couple at this place that Rick wants to try. We'll report back, Bill. It's probably not too far from your Cape House.
Father's Kitchen and Taphouse
Old 05-23-2016, 04:15 PM

Member (Premium)

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
I ordered a flight of locally brewed beer to try out the local micro brews. I could only finish one and I'd never knowingly order any of them again. The reason? Way too much hops. It seems brewers think there is some sort of contest going on to see who can use the most hops in their beer. I think this stuff is undrinkable. Maybe some of you have burnt out enough taste buds to enjoy it. Not me.
I think you would have liked the Dogfish head tour
Old 05-23-2016, 06:02 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Rick enjoys his beer. He is however, not a fan of all the "hoppy" beers out there. He enjoys trying new beer and is disappointed if we head to a new place to find a huge selection of hoppy IPAs. As Zippy says, it does appear to be a trend.

There's a couple at this place that Rick wants to try. We'll report back, Bill. It's probably not too far from your Cape House.

We can meet you there...
Old 05-23-2016, 06:17 PM

Received 3,209 Likes on 1,859 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Originally Posted by Lainey' timestamp='1464047264' post='23974649

We can meet you there...
Well that could work too.......

Quick Reply: Ok, that's enough hops now.