S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Odds and Ends Vintage Photos X

Old 09-05-2018, 07:08 AM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Cool, Gary. So what camera and lens were you working with?
Scooter, what lens/camera/settings were you using? Was there enough light, or were you having to use a tripod?

As mentioned on FB, my original Rebel xsi gave up the ghost this weekend. I like having the two camera bodies available. (the Rebel xsi and the Rebel Series T6s purchased in 2016) The Rebel xsi served me well since 2009. I toyed with getting one of the older (2012) Canon Full Frame cameras about $300.00 more than another Rebel Series. Looking at the difference in the specs between that and the Rebel series T7i, the main difference (in addition to larger sensor) was in ISO and more shutter speed options. Given my skill level (which has plenty of room for improvement) and the type of photos I tend to take, flowers, landscape, cars, birds, things that catch my eye, I decided to stick with the crop sensor. I also would have less "reach" with the 100-400 if it was on a full frame, and my walk around 18-200 lens is not compatible with a full frame. I'm sure there are other factors to push people into wanting/buying full frame, but I'm not there yet.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:16 AM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

We have a Nikon sale site on Facebook. Maybe there is one for Canon. I have seen some good deals on the Nikon site.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:22 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 991 Likes on 511 Posts

Lainey-

I'm using a Nikon D500 and my trusty 70-200 2.8 lens. The focus is a bit off as I look at them now, but for sports, you don't always get to setup every shot you take.

I struggled with the FX vs. DX body decision. When my D300 starting acting up and there was no replacement in sight, I went to the Nikon D750 full frame. I didn't like it, wasn't a good match for me. I sold it and bought the D500 when it came out. I like the reach too. Just be aware that just because a lens is not compatible, it may work, with a different feature set. My D750 just auto set the resolution down for a DX lens, but they worked fine.

Lainey- also- I think your thought process is spot on. Look at the important things. Shutter speed isn't too important if you shoot landscapes, scenery, flowers and cars.. ISO performance is a great feature now. Being able to get a few stops back for a faster shutter at low light - but again, not the most used for the things you shoot.

The good news is that all the technology from the last pro series Canons will work their way into the consumer models over time

Last edited by Heyitsgary; 09-05-2018 at 07:28 AM. Reason: More things came to mind.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:24 AM

^
The new camera arrives tomorrow. It's a slightly updated version of the one I purchased in 2016. One or two features I did like aren't there, but there is more ISO capability and this if I want it. : A 45-point all cross-type Optical Viewfinder AF system* helps you focus across a wide area, letting you quickly capture pro-looking photos. Thanks to the world’s fastest autofocusing speed at 0.03 sec.** when using Dual Pixel CMOS AF with phase-detection, Live View focusing is almost instant so you don't miss the action as it happens. Add that to Canon’s legendary image quality and intuitive controls, and you’ll be able to create whatever your imagination sees.

Now I just need a creative imagination!
Old 09-05-2018, 07:49 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 991 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
^
The new camera arrives tomorrow. It's a slightly updated version of the one I purchased in 2016. One or two features I did like aren't there, but there is more ISO capability and this if I want it. : A 45-point all cross-type Optical Viewfinder AF system* helps you focus across a wide area, letting you quickly capture pro-looking photos. Thanks to the world’s fastest autofocusing speed at 0.03 sec.** when using Dual Pixel CMOS AF with phase-detection, Live View focusing is almost instant so you don't miss the action as it happens. Add that to Canon’s legendary image quality and intuitive controls, and you’ll be able to create whatever your imagination sees.

Now I just need a creative imagination!
Don't sell yourself short. You've shared plenty of great shots. Unless you're selling them, you're the customer! What you like matters, not us.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:09 AM

Thanks! I've sold a few, my customers don't have the discerning eye that some may have. If my photo speaks to someone and they want a copy that's good enough for me.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:31 AM
tof
Member (Premium)

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Gary, all I can say is "Golf shots...nothing but golf shots." (Sports Center catch phrase.)
Old 09-06-2018, 10:45 AM

I was hanging around the river again. This guy was hanging around too. It was a nice time of day, light wise Actually, he/she was about to land on a tree below, then decided to put on the reverse thrusters and went up and away. This would have been a better shot with some tree/foliage in the pic, but it was not to be, he didn't land, and I had to crop. These creatures fascinate me. The little guy is our friend's grandson. I followed him around a bit with my camera on Saturday. I think the focus could have been a bit sharper on this one. (Taken with older Rebel before it broke and the 50mm, I think, I'd have to check) They move fast at this age.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:50 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,949 Likes on 1,745 Posts

Was looking back through the pics from France and decided to use this one as my desktop background for awhile. A tribute to Monet! It was very difficult to get pics without people in them. There were thousands of people at Giverny. Crazy crowded.

The following users liked this post:
sam_spider (09-19-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 06:09 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Great photos! I love the swamp one!

Quick Reply: Odds and Ends Vintage Photos X