S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Odds and Ends Vintage Photos IX

Old 08-10-2015, 09:03 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris
Patty, I borrowed a friends ElliptiGo to try. Didn't like it. Will stick with my mountain/road bike. Glad you like yours.
I need more information, Dean. Why didn't you like it? Did you find it hard to get going? Was it too much work?

My daughter tried mine and couldn't get the hang of it. It was very awkward for her since she had never used an elliptical machine before.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:02 AM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

I had the feeling the front tire was going to hit the frame, even though I knew it couldn't. That bothered me. Also standing straight up, like the manual said to do, was awkward for me. I wanted to lean forward but that made my hands hurt. I guess it was a lot of things I didn't like and nothing that I did like. I have never used an exercise machine like that either.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:33 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the feeling the front tire was going to hit the frame, even though I knew it couldn't. That bothered me. Also standing straight up, like the manual said to do, was awkward for me. I wanted to lean forward but that made my hands hurt. I guess it was a lot of things I didn't like and nothing that I did like. I have never used an exercise machine like that either.
I had a few awkward moments the first time I rode a dropped handlebar/lever shifted bicycle. The handlebar was held on an extended stem putting it much more forward than what I was comfortable with. It took me a full day and several adjustments to learn to ride it comfortably and have good control.

As far as my thoughts on an ElliptiGO…I believe they were designed for an outdoor exercise program if you’re suffering from a physical impairment. I don’t consider them a bicycle but a PPM (People Powered Machine). Yes, I’ve tried riding an ElliptiGO for a ½ hour’s test ride and found it awkward and difficult to control – more usage may have made it more stable and comfortable. I didn’t like the undo attention and confused stares either.

gary
Old 08-11-2015, 08:44 AM
Member (Premium)

I understand. It felt natural to me right away, although I did play with the handlebar height. They aren't for everyone.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:49 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by skunkworks
Originally Posted by Morris' timestamp='1439308966' post='23711191
I had a few awkward moments the first time I rode a dropped handlebar/lever shifted bicycle. The handlebar was held on an extended stem putting it much more forward than what I was comfortable with. It took me a full day and several adjustments to learn to ride it comfortably and have good control.

As far as my thoughts on an ElliptiGO…I believe they were designed for an outdoor exercise program if you’re suffering from a physical impairment. I don’t consider them a bicycle but a PPM (People Powered Machine). Yes, I’ve tried riding an ElliptiGO for a ½ hour’s test ride and found it awkward and difficult to control – more usage may have made it more stable and comfortable. I didn’t like the undo attention and confused stares either.

gary
Yes, Gary, they are aimed for injured runners and for runner's cross training, not happy bikers. I like it as a former runner with back problems.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:45 AM
Former Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 377 Posts

Patty is your mountain place on a dirt road? I was thinking it might be a real
challenge to propel it on a sandy surface.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:12 AM

As you can see from this 2006 photo showing several of my bicycles that once I LOVED. I collect them and adored them. I have far fewer now and ride much less than before but my admiration for bicycles has never waned.

gary
Old 08-11-2015, 11:41 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by S1997
Yes, it's a third of a mile from the pavement. In the past I walked my ElliptiGO to the pavement but this time I took it in my Crosstour to my two different starting points. It doesn't work at all on soft surfaces.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Kyras
Originally Posted by S1997' timestamp='1439315100' post='23711337
Yes, it's a third of a mile from the pavement. In the past I walked my ElliptiGO to the pavement but this time I took it in my Crosstour to my two different starting points. It doesn't work at all on soft surfaces.
My skinny tired bicycles don't work to well in deep sandy surfaces either. Once I get on a paved road it's a different riding experience.
gary
Old 08-12-2015, 04:33 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

Many of you may have seen this on FB, it is one of my favorites of Mr Gimpers, the birdseed bandit.

Quick Reply: Odds and Ends Vintage Photos IX