S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Odds and Ends Vintage Photos IX

Old 07-30-2015, 11:09 AM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

8 x 10 comes from the traditional large format film negative of 4 x 5 inches ... a ratio of 4:5 ... used commonly until about 45 years ago, and still in use for art and high end magazine shots. A 2x enlargement makes a VERY sharp 8 x 10.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:29 AM

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,864 Posts

Originally Posted by skunkworks
Originally Posted by Lainey' timestamp='1438264116' post='23698048
Where did you get the cool cameras, Gary??? I would not know where to begin with one of those.

I still have a hard time remembering to plan my shots to allow for the crop sensor of the Rebel. 8 x 12 pics are fine, but standard size pics are much easier when it comes to purchasing mats and frames.
You're right. Most cameras take photos at a ~ 4x6 or 8x12 ratio. So why are ratios like 8x10 popular, more popular than a 4x6 8x12? I don’t think a 4x5 or 8x10 ratios are particularly pleasing when you take into consideration that human eyesight has an aspect ratio ~ 1:1.75 or ~ 8x14”.

Somebody once set the standard to 8x10 and I’m not certain why. Perhaps some early 20[sup]th[/sup] century paper manufacturer decided anything outside of an 8x10 format was fluff. Even modern day televisions closely match the human eye’s ratio…any telecasts from past eras look cramped to me.

I’ll just pay more for a frame that fits the image.

gary
I have found mats and frames to go with the 8 x 12, with an even 2" around on the mat, but purchase was on line. The frame was not the standard size frame. For the quick pick up at the local craft store (with a coupon of course) frames matted for 8 x 12 pics aren't easily found. I have found mats that are 11 x 14, cut out for the 8 x 12 pic, but the sides of the mat are slightly less wide than the upper/lower portion. It works OK, unless you have OCD. or are a professional; most folks don't notice. Those with whom I've shared my pics, aren't looking to pay for professional framing, I offer them the 8 x 12 with the odd mat or the 8x10 or 11 x 14.

Edit: Might have just found better sized mats on Amazon......
Old 07-31-2015, 05:11 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,003 Likes on 519 Posts

My local photography store used to stock 8x12 items. Unfortunately, the 'store' side of a photography business isn't a worthwhile endeavor and he shut down. Still does the photography side, but got rid of the retail part of it.

I'd think the format from many years ago is still the reason we look at things as 5x7 and 8x10. I actually like 8x10, and it's the format I set most of my online pics too. Not sure why, appealing to me perhaps? Maybe it's my OCD to have the same frame for all of my work- a nice clean display? I have printed some panoramics, and print them all at 35x7. I have 3 frames that size and can change the images as I want. Beats having different custom frames for each shot.

I also think regardless of my preference, there's always plenty of pics I take that I think wider, taller, etc... is a better completed work.

So Lainey- I also fight sometime with figuring out what I want the finished product to be when looking through the viewfinder. A simple answer sometimes is to just shoot a little wider - you can always crop in post-processing, you can't add what's not there.

17 to 1 isn't too bad. I can often shoot at a much higher ration to capture images that I display online, and my print ration might be 1% (although that's probably skewed by the lack of a need to actually print much.)
Old 07-31-2015, 05:42 AM

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,864 Posts

Lousy cell phone pic of a pic, but you get the idea. 8 x 12 in an 11 x 14 frame. You see the mat isn't the same width on sides as on top. This does annoy me, but I try to move on. Dave/dlq will also notice the empty can of Miller on the counter. We rinse and return empties.

I also had this printed in an 8 x 10, but lost the greenery on the right, which I knew would happen, but hoped it would still look decent. I think it looks better in 8 x 12, didn't leave enough room for other sizes...

The black eyed Susans didn't photograph as I hoped they would, I give myself a C+ at best for this one. The photo was not what I hoped it would be, however, I like the words "Calm" and "Tranquility" on the stones.

I hung this in the bathroom, and I can see it behind me when using the vanity mirror. I'm hoping it soothes me in the morning, when I really don't feel like getting ready for work.

I could order frames and mats from Craig's on line which might better suit the pic,as the mat is cut for the 8 x 12 with 2" on all sides, but I've only bothered to do that a few times.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:15 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
8 x 10 comes from the traditional large format film negative of 4 x 5 inches ... a ratio of 4:5 ... used commonly until about 45 years ago, and still in use for art and high end magazine shots. A 2x enlargement makes a VERY sharp 8 x 10.
Maybe. I’ll be willing to venture only a few hundred 4x5 or 8x10 photographers still exist. People such as Ansel Adams, a world renowned photographer, chose a 6x6cm camera for most of his work and cropped the images for a more pleasing format, he was not restricted nor did he abide by an 8x10’ish format.

I believe that 8x10 formats stifle creativity. I don’t see many magazines that display with that format either.

gary

Old 07-31-2015, 11:24 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

Back to Clyde again but check his cameras.

Big Formats

I want the Red One. I cannot imagine hauling one of those around in the swamp.

fltsfshr
Old 07-31-2015, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by fltsfshr

Big Formats

fltsfshr
His photo resolutions are phenomenal, but very few are in an 8x10 format. They’re cropped for their optimal appearance.
gary
Old 07-31-2015, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by skunkworks
Originally Posted by fltsfshr' timestamp='1438370677' post='23699739

Big Formats

fltsfshr
His photo resolutions are phenomenal, but very few are in an 8x10 format. They’re cropped for their optimal appearance.
gary
At the bottom of the page he lists his equipment.

"I try to use the largest film possible for the particular subject I'm planning to photograph. So, if I have a huge, broad landscape, I use the 12x20" view camera. If I am photographing something like the Ghost Orchid I use a 4x5" view camera," explains Butcher, who most often works with an 8x10 view camera, but has a host of smaller and larger format view cameras."
Old 07-31-2015, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by fltsfshr
Originally Posted by skunkworks' timestamp='1438372647' post='23699767
[quote name='fltsfshr' timestamp='1438370677' post='23699739']

Big Formats

fltsfshr
gary
At the bottom of the page he lists his equipment.

"I try to use the largest film possible for the particular subject I'm planning to photograph. So, if I have a huge, broad landscape, I use the 12x20" view camera. If I am photographing something like the Ghost Orchid I use a 4x5" view camera," explains Butcher, who most often works with an 8x10 view camera, but has a host of smaller and larger format view cameras."
[/quote]
Let me see if I can explain this better.

It’s not the aspect ration of the original; it’s the final image that’s important. Clyde has used several aspect ratio cameras during the shooting processes because he could visualize the end results. The closer a photographer can capture his image using a specific aspect ratio the better it is – with less cropping a higher resolution and better image quality will result.

Perhaps Clyde prefers photos that are closer to an 8x10 ratio than his other cameras provide, it could make cropping less of a factor. Clyde has his personal preferences; he knew in advance what he was looking for in an end product. Maybe an 8x10 filled his wants, or just made the image process easier, or it could be the only camera he had with him.

As RMurphy said. “The best camera is the one you have with you.”

gary

that is all...
Old 07-31-2015, 01:42 PM

He's pretty old school but it's fun to go here him talk about some of his photography treks. I'm always inspired when I see his work.

Your work inspires me as well. Wish I had your eye.

fltsfshr

Quick Reply: Odds and Ends Vintage Photos IX