S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Odds and Ends Vintage Photos IX

Old 04-20-2015, 12:03 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice soft images with great bokeh, Lainey. Thanks for sharing.

gary

Old 04-20-2015, 04:10 PM

Received 3,164 Likes on 1,825 Posts

Thanks, Gary. How much/what is in focus in the pics when using the macro doesn't always work out as I hope.

I ordered a couple copies, if one looks decent in a frame, I'll share with the neighbor.

If not to their liking, they can always put the photo in a yard sale when we're out of town.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey
Thanks, Gary. How much/what is in focus in the pics when using the macro doesn't always work out as I hope.

I ordered a couple copies, if one looks decent in a frame, I'll share with the neighbor.

If not to their liking, they can always put the photo in a yard sale when we're out of town.
Your pic’s looked good to me.

Focusing with a large aperture lens along with its short focal range is difficult for the camera. It’s not much easier if done manually using most modern camera’s focusing screens, as you probably know.

gary

Old 04-21-2015, 07:40 AM

Thanks for the comments. You are very kind. I'm open to suggestions on how to improve on these types of shots.

I used the 100 mm macro. It's a really nice lens. Used manual mode and manual focus...Progress from a few years ago on the "Green square."

I never think to use the "live view" when taking pics. Do you? I've read that it can make things easier.......
Old 04-21-2015, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the comments. You are very kind. I'm open to suggestions on how to improve on these types of shots.

I used the 100 mm macro. It's a really nice lens. Used manual mode and manual focus...Progress from a few years ago on the "Green square."

I never think to use the "live view" when taking pics. Do you? I've read that it can make things easier.......
My Coolpix s&p camera doesn’t facilitate a “preview” or “depth of field” viewing, I just have to guess. My older SLR film cameras did and I used it frequently, but at maximum aperture the view will be the same.
gary
Old 04-22-2015, 04:42 AM

I'm enjoying our "conversation" here, Gary. I welcome the .02 of other camera folks as well. By live view, I meant the screen vs the view finder....maybe the Cool pix doesn't have a view finder? I do have the depth of field preview, have tried it, but I'm just not seeing it...I'm likely doing something wrong.

My +1 used to take pics back in the Canon AE1 days. He has a good working knowledge of the focal lengths, shutter speed, F stop...He gives me some good advice as I head out there. I need to think more about what I want before I shoot. I'm getting there.............slowly.

For the sake of experimenting/learning, I went back outside after dinner last night. I left the macro on the camera but wasn't looking to get too "up close and personal" with the flowers, as I didn't want to bother with the tripod. It's a very nice 100mm lens, and I "zoomed in and out" with my feet. I tried various F stop settings for different results. I got close on one, trying to focus on the inner part of the flower, but adjacent areas were not in focus and I wasn't happy with the results. Probably some camera shake too.

Here's that shot

Composition may be lacking, but this was an experiment. One flower in focus, the rest are just background....

Same shot, cropped a bit.

And a single bloom, not too close, but seems to be all in focus.

These blooms probably won't last much longer than another week...on to the lilacs!!
Old 04-22-2015, 04:56 PM

Received 3,902 Likes on 2,620 Posts

WAIT!!!!!!!!!! you got flowers????
we hardly have any thing budding yet....
Old 04-22-2015, 05:08 PM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

No buds here either Jerry, maybe next month.
Levi
Old 04-22-2015, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by boltonblue
WAIT!!!!!!!!!! you got flowers????
we hardly have any thing budding yet....
Neighbor's tree. Other stuff budding too. Tulips are working their way up.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:53 PM

Received 5,709 Likes on 3,365 Posts

This one is the winner..... hands down! Believe me, I know. Great shot.

Quick Reply: Odds and Ends Vintage Photos IX