S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Odds and Ends Vintage Photos IX

Old 01-13-2015, 04:59 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Patty (and other shutter bugs), do you ever send your camera out for a "good" cleaning? I did have some spots in my sensor once, and a local guy cleaned it (not messing with sensor). Another time I had spots and was able to get rid of them with the menu option to manually clean sensor and I used that little rocket shaped air blower thing. I've noticed a spot or two over the summer, and thought maybe I should send the camera out for a professional clean by Canon. That was actually recommended by the local guy who said every five years or so, it should be done. Even though I have automatic sensor cleaning when I turn off the camera, he said there are some inner parts which are related to the sensor cleaning which should be replaced/cleaned. He told me it was about $100.00.

I've had the camera for five years now, I see no need to upgrade and plan on keeping it. Would you folks recommend this?
If it were me, I would continue to clean it myself unless it needed a professional cleaning.

gary

Old 01-13-2015, 05:58 PM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

^
Thanks, Gary.

Love the second pic!!!!
Old 01-13-2015, 06:07 PM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Patty (and other shutter bugs), do you ever send your camera out for a "good" cleaning? I did have some spots in my sensor once, and a local guy cleaned it (not messing with sensor). Another time I had spots and was able to get rid of them with the menu option to manually clean sensor and I used that little rocket shaped air blower thing. I've noticed a spot or two over the summer, and thought maybe I should send the camera out for a professional clean by Canon. That was actually recommended by the local guy who said every five years or so, it should be done. Even though I have automatic sensor cleaning when I turn off the camera, he said there are some inner parts which are related to the sensor cleaning which should be replaced/cleaned. He told me it was about $100.00.

I've had the camera for five years now, I see no need to upgrade and plan on keeping it. Would you folks recommend this?
I sent my D70 out once to have it cleaned. I feel it was worth it to let Nikon do it plus they did a software upgrade that I had missed.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:10 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I sent my D70s out to be cleaned too. The problem was it got spots again on the sensor and I was angry that it happened in the first place. I think that's when I jumped ship and went to Canon.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:16 PM

Thanks!

A guy at a camera store told me my camera has a little "trough' so to speak, where dust from the sensor collects after automatic cleaning. That is one of the parts he said they would clean/change if I sent the camera for a factory clean.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:41 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I’m a do-it-yourselfer -- I’ll read up on a subject. If it's cost effective I'll buy the necessary equipment, and then do it myself. I’ve only had a couple of disappointments that required the aid of a professional. I still have the micro vacuum cleaning brushes and air bulbs from my SLR days that were used many times over and saved me a considerable amount.

For a $100.00 fee it must be a simple task when you factor in profits and the expense of shipping and handling.

gary

Old 01-13-2015, 08:04 PM

Received 5,749 Likes on 3,386 Posts

Cool pics gary!!
Old 01-17-2015, 05:41 PM

Met my internet pen pal in Salem, MA today. VERY chilly, but we walked around quite a bit and I snapped a few pics.

Cell phone pic Maureen and me. 15 years of emails, chatting on line, and most recently FaceBook and texting. It did not feel strange when we met. We just chatted it up like two old friends which is what we are.

Ice in the marina.

The Bewitched Statue

Follow the red line/Heritage Trail

Too cold for ice cream!

Store display (old stove) with a little B&W conversion

A sad example of a light house, but hey we were walking out there today and it was cold! Had to take a pic.....
Old 01-17-2015, 06:19 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,889 Posts

^How cold was it, Lainey? Is that ship surrounded by ice?
Old 01-17-2015, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Kyras
^How cold was it, Lainey? Is that ship surrounded by ice?
Yes, that's ice. It would not be frozen through. When we got there it was 14 degrees. It warmed up to about twenty. We managed to stay warm though. Ducking in and out of shops, walking in the sun, it was fun. Generally speaking I do not play "tourist" in 20 degree weather but I'm glad I did.

Quick Reply: Odds and Ends Vintage Photos IX