S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Odds and Ends Vintage Photos IX

Old 05-12-2013, 04:01 PM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

My back yard smells so pretty!!
Old 05-12-2013, 11:16 PM

Received 5,749 Likes on 3,386 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras

^I cleaned off most of the putty. Next step is to clean it, I guess. My teacher is not very forthcoming with needed information.
Dah, I think it's time to hang it.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by valentine
Originally Posted by fltsfshr' timestamp='1368306573' post='22535916
No offense but raccoons make terrible pets, they're dangerous and destructive. The raccoon baby will not be able to adapt to the wild. They're dumb as a post and only learn to survive through raccoon socialization as a family unit.

Unless you have a zoo or someplace you can where you can take it, you're not doing it any favors. I know people who have tried to save baby raccoons. It doesn't work out well.

fltsfshr
Just hope to save them until they're ready for release, Grant (we found a second one in a flower bed last night). Don't want them for pets and neither does my neighbor. She is a physician and is aware of parasitic disease carried by animals, etc. and she does rescue with numerous wildlife organizations in the community. Neither she nor I think wild animals should be kept as pets. It would have been quite difficult for us to leave them out without attempting to restore them to their natural habitat. As far as the destructive behavior goes, we do not have a problem with the wildlife here as we do not leave trash or debris to attract them. Yes, they occasionally get into my bird feeders, etc., but I wouldn't condemn them to death for hunting for food. My property is surrounded by State Forest property and has been deemed a Wildlife Habitat by the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources. I would never leave an animal to die if I could help it. They were here first and I encroached on their turf. That's just my view.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by MsPerky
Pics from my visit to the National Geographic Birds of Paradise exhibit. It is amazing to see how the males transform themselves in their mating dances. Probably best to see a video to really appreciate it. Two scientists spent eight years finding and photographing the rituals of 39 different species.

Pretty soon, we will be calling you the Bird Lady (as opposed to Lady Bird).
Old 05-13-2013, 02:19 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 809 Likes on 484 Posts

Love the pics Deb. The birds and exhibit were gorgeous! Lainey, lilacs realllllly smell wonderful.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:37 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Dave, the lead came and solder is a mess. I'll miss next week's last class so tonight will be my last one. My teacher acts like she's passing out proprietary trade secrets instead of helping us learn how to do it right. Our first project was lead came and she never taught us how to finish it, just how to lead it. Now, here I am guessing the next steps. I did what she said about the putty, and waited 2 days to clean off the excess. Then I started to clean the whole thing up with stained glass wax, and the dark patina on the lead came off. Now, some of the lead is shiny silver and some is dull gray. I'm not sure which one I like better. I'm sure she'll tell me I did something wrong.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:14 AM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
Originally Posted by dlq04' timestamp='1368429404' post='22538277
Dave, the lead came and solder is a mess. I'll miss next week's last class so tonight will be my last one. My teacher acts like she's passing out proprietary trade secrets instead of helping us learn how to do it right. Our first project was lead came and she never taught us how to finish it, just how to lead it. Now, here I am guessing the next steps. I did what she said about the putty, and waited 2 days to clean off the excess. Then I started to clean the whole thing up with stained glass wax, and the dark patina on the lead came off. Now, some of the lead is shiny silver and some is dull gray. I'm not sure which one I like better. I'm sure she'll tell me I did something wrong.
Time for a new class/instructor?
Old 05-14-2013, 02:10 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Originally Posted by Kyras' timestamp='1368538648' post='22541225
[quote name='dlq04' timestamp='1368429404' post='22538277']
Time for a new class/instructor?
[/quote]
^ Definitely, if I decide to take another class. I went to six new stained glass stores over the course of the last four months and some stores have classes. My favorite was a guy in San Diego, who was very helpful. It's about an hour and a half drive each way, though. Now that I know basically how to do lead, I can just go for it on my own.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:02 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

What name is this guy painting on our boat?
[attachment=39100:boat hk jim s.jpg]

They say a picture's worth a thousand words.

[attachment=39101:boat HK s.jpg]

There's a fish joke here.....
Attached Thumbnails Odds and Ends Vintage Photos IX-boat-hk-jim-s.jpg   Odds and Ends Vintage Photos IX-boat-hk-s.jpg  
Old 05-28-2013, 05:47 PM

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Our new grandson

Mason Christopher

Quick Reply: Odds and Ends Vintage Photos IX