S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Nursing Home Alternative

Old 09-29-2006, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nursing Home Alternative

A friend of mine sent this to me. It's got me thinking

About 2 years ago my wife and I were on a cruise through the western Mediterranean aboard a Princess liner. At dinner we noticed an elderly lady sitting alone along the rail of the grand stairway in the main dining room. I also noticed that all the staff, ships officers, waiters, busboys, etc., all seemed very familiar with this lady. I asked our waiter who the lady was, expecting to be told that she owned the line, but he said he only knew that she had been on board for the last four cruises, back-to-back.

As we left the dining room one evening I caught her eye and stopped to say hello. We chatted and I said, "I understand you've been on this ship for the last four cruises". She replied, "Yes, that's true." I stated, "I don't understand" and she replied, without a pause, "It's cheaper than a nursing home".

So, there will be no nursing home in my future. When I get old and feeble, I am going to get on a Princess Cruise Ship. The average cost for a nursing home is $200 per day. I have checked on reservations on a Princess and I can get a long term discount and senior discount price of $135 per day. That leaves $65 a day for:

1. Gratuities which will only be $10 per day.

2. I will have as many as 10 meals a day if I can waddle to the restaurant, or I can have room service (which means I can have breakfast-in-bed every day of the week).

3. Princess has as many as three swimming pools, a workout room, free washers and dryers, and shows every night.

4. They have free toothpaste and razors, and free soap and shampoo.

5. They will even treat you like a customer, not a patient. An extra $5 worth of tips will have the entire staff scrambling to help you.

6. I will get to meet new people every 7 or 14 days.

7. T.V. broken? Light bulb need changing? Need to have the mattress replaced? No Problem! They will fix everything and apologize for your inconvenience.

8. Clean sheets and towels every day, and you don't even have to ask for them.

9. If you fall in the nursing home and break a hip you are on Medicare; if you fall and break a hip on the Princess ship they will upgrade you to a suite for the rest of your life.

Now hold on for the best! Do you want to see South America, the Panama Canal, Tahiti, Australia, New Zealand, Asia, or name where you want to go?

Princess will have a ship ready to go. So don't look for me in a nursing home, just call shore to ship.

ps: And don't forget, when you die, they just dump you over the side -- at no charge
Old 09-29-2006, 08:39 AM

Wow - when I get to old to enjoy the S anymore - that's where I'm headed!
Old 09-29-2006, 08:42 AM

Received 3,214 Likes on 1,862 Posts

I've seen this type of thing before and it works for me. A few years ago, we moved into the Residence Inn while we were having our floors refinished in the house. We decided that's the place to go. Free breakfast, free evening snacks, cable TV and internet included. People to change your bed, wash any dirty dishes you have in the sink, and clean your room daily.

I'd like to have "people" for a while.

The mall is right down the street, there are restaurants everywhere. How can you go wrong?

The desk clerk told us they often have some of the Florida snow birds who spend the three months of the summer there, rather than having to own two homes.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:51 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey8484,Sep 29 2006, 11:42 AM
I've seen this type of thing before and it works for me. ....

I'm going to add this to the alternatives to consider in our recently-started "5 Year Plan" for our post-work-planning
Old 09-29-2006, 09:31 AM

I recall reading an article about this in the local paper a couple of years ago ... interesting idea for certain ... when that time comes, maybe I'll have enough brain cells left to remember the alternative and take advantage of it.