S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Need a new daily driver - what do you suggest?

Old 10-08-2003, 02:26 PM

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

On the sportier side maybe a look at the RSX or if you are looking used an Integra.
They are based on the Civic platform, but like most Acuras they get a little extra.
Also the Altimas seem very well priced.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:35 PM

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally posted by paS2K
My only question would be the cost of bmw parts and labor
Being a former BMW owner (as we both are), I would be very, very cautious of that.

Though I love driving eurocars, by and large, I hate the upkeep costs! Been there done that, and they didn't even give me a tee shirt.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Legal Bill
Old 10-08-2003, 08:34 PM

About the VW TDI.

While I don't know if it would be satisfactory for you I was quite impressed with my friend's New Beetle TDI and its "pep." Diesels are all about torque and contrary to the S are better shifted lower in their rpm range for max acceleration. These diesels are much improved from earlier ones and the problems with cold starting and gobs of black smoke are gone. My friend is 6'5" about 260. He hauls his wife and two teenage kids in it, both of them good sized also.

As I said VW hasn't been getting good reliability marks but from the things I've read they are electrical problems and stuff like mirrors falling off, not exploding engines.

If you really are interested you can do a search for tdiclub and learn more. I'd take one for a test drive too, you might be surprised.

I'll cover myself and give you this link.

VW quality, Autoweek
Old 10-08-2003, 08:54 PM
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Whitestock03
Old 10-09-2003, 06:43 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Whitestock03
I'm looking for a new daily driver.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:19 AM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

I agree with everyone that says Civic or Corolla. The reliability is unbelievable, compared to others in that price/economy range. The Nissan Sentra probably is good as well, but I don't know much about that car.

My daily driver is a '95 Toyota Corolla. I've got 188,000 miles on it, and it's been very reliable. It doesn't burn or drip oil, no rattles, and has never given me a problem. With a 5-speed manual and a 1.8 liter engine, I'm getting around 38 mpg!!

The Jetta is a nice car, but I don't care for some of its quirks. First, parts are more expensive. Their manual trannys aren't as crisp as Hondas and Toyotas. My Stepson has a '97 Jetta, and it's given him problems even though he babies the car. And they're much tougher to work on if you're a do-it-yourselfer.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:35 AM

stick w/ honda or toyota. any recent civic, corolla, camry, accord, etc. would be a good investment for a daily driver.

in my experience (mostly through friends) I would avoid anything made by VW like the plague. On tuesday of this week, my girlfriend's '01 Passat w/40k miles developed a $1000 sensor problem, her roommate has an '02 A4 that had to be taken away on a flatbed, and a good friend of mine had to shell out $564 for problems w/ his '01 Jetta VR6 (sensors, window harness).
Old 10-09-2003, 03:05 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,490 Likes on 1,159 Posts

If nothing else, a daily driver should be a reliable, trouble free vehicle that works all week and disappears on the weekend or whenever you drive your S. Honda or Toyota. No need to look anywhere else.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:15 AM

I recently went through the small car daily driver thing for my son. He wanted the best deal I could find on a Civic EX or Corolla or anything else I thought was equal. He wanted as much fun factor as possible in a small sedan.

He ended up buying a Mazda Protege LX mainly because it was the best handling, had alloy rims and bigger tires, has a 4 year/50 and was about $3000 cheaper to buy.

The only down side to the Mazda is the resale will not be as good as the Honda so what you save as new you lose on resale.

Quick Reply: Need a new daily driver - what do you suggest?