S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Need a new daily driver - what do you suggest?

Old 10-07-2003, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a new daily driver - what do you suggest?

I'm looking for a new daily driver. Right now it's looking like a new Civic LX or Civic EX, but I'm really not familiar with all the other brands of Economy cars in this price range. If you have an opinion on any cars in this range, I'd like to hear them.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:12 PM

If you chose the Civic, I recommend the EX for the ABS and increased number of airbags. Sure, the other goodies (moonroof, etc.) are nice but those safety items shouldn't be skimped on.

The Corolla is another good choice and it looks like the about to be released Mazda 3 will be an excellent little car.

If you're not going to do much highway driving, take a look at the Scion. It s alot of car for the money and if I need an aroudn town/airport car that would be on my short list.

(side note - My first new car that I bought all by myself was a 1996 Civic EX sedan with MT. I owned the car for 59 months and 65K miles. It was absolutely bulletproof and while it wasn't that exciting to drive, it is the only car I've ever sold that I regret selling. Why? It never gave me a problem, had good utility (the back seats folded down), got amazing gas mileage, and I know it would have run another 100K miles without breaking a sweat. Every time I go to Angel stadium in my S or my wife's Lexus I regret selling that car).

Good luck.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:51 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Whitestock03
I'm looking for a new daily driver.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:00 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,158 Posts

Harry

I've never owned a Civic, but I know a number of people who do. Based on their experience you cannot go wrong with a Civic.

I agree with Da Hapa, get the EX.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:00 PM

I was exploring this class before I bought my S. Whoops.

The Civic and Corolla seem like two peas in a pod. Both have great reputations and I've known people with both that back it up.

The Chevy Malibu is getting some good press and I believe is a bit less money. Might be worth a look. Edit: just looked at Edmunds prices, Malibu isn't cheaper, might even be more. But then Chevy dealers seem more willing to deal than Honda guys.

I found the VW New Beetle and Golf with the TDI diesel most intriguing. They, VW, don't get good ratings for reliability. However, my friend with a Beetle TDI has piled up the miles, and no major problems. Claims he gets close to 50 mpg and I believe him. It zips right along, it's not the old VW diesel of yesterday.

Hey, why don't you get a Miata and do a long term comparison for us?

Gary
Old 10-07-2003, 09:23 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

How about the Civic Hybrid...either new or used

It's also interesting that no one has mentioned a Mini-Cooper (probably the non-S-version). I wonder if there are any pre-owned Coopers yet on the market...bought by someone who did not know it's real agenda I see a lot of them here in the Philly area...very popular urban vehicle. My only question would be the cost of bmw parts and labor
Old 10-08-2003, 08:34 AM

Get a used pickup. Low insurance premiums, great utility and low price. I looked for a year and finally came across a GMC 6 cylinder with 75K on it for $6K. It's hard to find good used pickups that are affordable. I would prefer a Toyota but they are way up there. My Jimmy is no speed racer but it gets the job done. When I need to go fast, I drive the S.
I'd check the For Sale and Wanted forum "Cars for Sale."
Old 10-08-2003, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by Smokee

I found the VW New Beetle and Golf with the TDI diesel most intriguing. They, VW, don't get good ratings for reliability. However, my friend with a Beetle TDI has piled up the miles, and no major problems. Claims he gets close to 50 mpg and I believe him. It zips right along, it's not the old VW diesel of yesterday.

Hey, why don't you get a Miata and do a long term comparison for us?

Gary

Gary,

The VW Jetta TDI was on my list due to the incredible mpg ratings, until i saw it was 90HP. In the 1980s I owned a Mercedes 300D, and the thought of going back to a car as underpowered as the 300D was made me decide to forget the VW. I'm not looking for a hot rod, but I'd like something that will have the pep of a 117hp Civic.
Regarding the Miata, I was actually considering a used one, but with 3 large teenagers and my wife, it didn't make sense.
If you have any personal impressions of the VW TDI cars please share them.

-Harry
Old 10-08-2003, 11:30 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by paS2K
How about the Civic Hybrid...either new or used
Old 10-08-2003, 01:09 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Whitestock03

Quick Reply: Need a new daily driver - what do you suggest?