S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Need Help choosing Flatscreen

Old 09-28-2011, 03:01 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 825 Likes on 489 Posts
Default Need Help choosing Flatscreen

Okay, I've finally decided to take the plunge into the world of the Flatscreen tv. We've never been huge tv watchers, but I've decided for the sake of aesthetics I want to get a flat screen tv for our rec room. The room is fairly small and anything bigger than 40" will overpower the room and I do not have a lot of wall space either. I want to either wall mount it or place on a stand which is an oak replica of an old refrigerator (about 2-1/2 feet high) that has a swivel on top. It is designed to be a tv cabinet anyway and is currently used for that. The wall immediately above the cabinet is angled and sloped, so I don't have a lot of hanging space either. I have digital tv in that room and the flat screen will have to be connected to a converter box. What do I need to know before I head out to make my purchase? Will I need special cables for the connection or can I just hook up what's there? I know absolutely NOTHING about these things so any advice you can offer will be appreciated.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm partial to the Samsung LEDs and LCDs. Plasma televisions tend to be electricity hogs. Vizio is another brand that has gained a good reputation over the past couple of years for their LEDs and LCDs. If you're a member of Costco or Sam's Club, they're both good places to buy one. You'll want a television that has a resolution of 1080P and a refresh rate of at least 120 Hz. Don't worry about what the numbers actually mean, just look for those numbers on the box.

The high definition converter box you'll want to get from your cable/satellite service should come with a cable to hook up your new television.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:45 AM

I forgot to mention that LED televisions will be thinner and lighter than LCDs, with a possibly slightly better picture depending on model and brand. You may find the LCD televisions to be slightly less expensive, also depending on model and brand. Either type will suit your purposes just fine, so just compare whatever televisions that interest you - whether LCD or LED- and pick one.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:45 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Thanks, Dean. I already have a converter box that the cable company installed. Will I need to get them to install a new one? I'm not worried about knowing what the numbers you listed mean. I'm totally out of my element and have no need to clutter my brain with those details.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:03 AM

The television you buy may also come with a cable. Is the converter box you currently have high definition capable? If not, you'll want to have the cable/satellite company send out an installer with one. If the converter you have is HD, swapping out the cable is very simple. The cable you want is called an HDMI cable. Don't let anyone sell you some high dollar cable, it's a ripoff plain and simple. You can pick up a relatively cheap one at Walmart.

Also, don't waste any extra money on a television that is 3D capable. You will probably never use the 3D capability.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:22 AM

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,865 Posts

I THINK, but I'm not sure I just saw a recent article on Vizio.

Some TV's have problems, not long after warranty expires. It's one specific part that is letting go. They are told the TV is not repairable, and the customer is advised to buy a new TV.

Again, I'm not sure it was the Vizios and I can't find the article now when I just looked. Just a FYI if you are doing some research.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:31 AM

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,419 Posts

Val, we love our 42" Panasonic plasma and really miss it when traveling and watching other forms, no matter the make. Perfect picture from any angle. Plasma works best in a room without outside glare. I'd recommend a table over a wall; but that's a personal choice and what height you like. I agree with Dean to buy the cheapest HDMI cable as the mark-up by some stores is a real rip. As for plasma electric use... we only watch movies and sports, so it's not on that much to notice.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:14 AM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

Stand to the side of the tv and compare a plasma to lcd or lcd with led back lighting.

1080 is a better picture than 720 and works well with video streaming. Look for a tv that can tie to your router. There's a whole world of TV out there on the web and it's free. That's a great ability to have.

fltsfshr
Old 09-28-2011, 05:29 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

I knew I could count on you guys to help me! The room has skylights and we simply HAD to have those cover things installed over them that we can raise or lower as we wish. In the summer the heat is intense and those honeycomb shades keep the heat out. In the winter or on really cloudy days it is nice to let the light in, however, there is a lot of glare from almost every angle because there are multiple windows in the room and even with the blinds closed, there is glare.
Dean, we do have a high def converter box and I'm really hoping we won't have to have them send out a technician. We have found Time-Warner's service folk to be "hit and miss" as to capabilities. Apparently this is another area where they out-source to contractors and we do not always get one who majored in rocket science. They also don't always show up when you plan your day around their scheduled time. See why I'm a grumpy geezer? Multiply all the areas where service is needed by the lack of service available in this part of the "slow country" and you'll perhaps be a bit more understanding of my crankiness.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:41 AM

If you already have an HD converter box then you shouldn't need a tech. You can use an HDMI cable or the RCA jacks for video and sound. HDMI will be best.

Quick Reply: Need Help choosing Flatscreen