S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

My son's friend is gone

Old 11-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Loss of a young life is the most tragic thing....whether it's in a warzone abroad or a warzone right here in a ghetto.

Pax Vobiscum
Old 11-08-2006, 09:03 PM

Received 515 Likes on 305 Posts

Darlene,

Please accept my condolences on behalf of your son's friends family. It is sad to learn that good people have their lives cut short by people that do not seem to value life.

This loss strikes a real chord with my heart strings, as I am in Honolulu this week at an Armed Forces Electronics Communications Association (www.AFCEA.org) conference and exhibition. On Tuesday morning I conducted a small training session on the equipment that I support with a Navy Seal Team. My point is that I work pretty close with the men and women that proudly serve our country.

I know that my comments can never erase the pain that is being felt by his family, friends and brothers and sisters in arms, but if it is any consolation at least most Americans appreciate and respect the members of the armed forces today.

When I landed in Honolulu on Sunday there where several troops on the plane and the lead flight attendant welcomed us to Honolulu and announced that their were several members of the Armed Forces on board and that drew a round of applause from virtually everyone on board. That is a far cry from my experience in 1971 when they cut my travel orders to fly in civilian clothes, so I could avoid being spit on. As I was once at the Port of Authority building in NYC in the summer of 1970.

As my signature line refers to our soldiers (please read) they are protecting the way of life that we love and enjoy.

Bless them all.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:10 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 377 Posts

So sorry, Val! It's a time to hold each other and cry.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awww honey, how heartbreaking. My condolences to your son and the family of his friend. My prayers are for everyone affected. I'm here if you need to talk. Take care of yourself for me, please because when one of us hurts, we all hurt.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:41 PM

Received 241 Likes on 180 Posts

You know, I have been fortunate to know no one personally who has lost their life to this terrible conflict and I hope it stays that way (knocks wood). Loss of life at so young an age is a terrible thing. A parent should never have to bury a child but.... unfortunately, it does happen and it is always a heart wrenching thing.

I spent 3 1/2 years oversees as a civilian contractor near the Middle East and got to rub shoulders with and meet a lot of our military and the military of our friends and allies. They were a cross section of society, some were fine people, some were jerks, some were quiet, some boistrous. Some religious, some hell on wheels. What they all seemed to be was dedicated and committed.

I gained a great deal of respect for the men and women who are put in to harms way to defend and protect their country and the countries of their allies. I feel a great deal of respect for them all serving their countries and ours.

You have my condolences, Darlene.