S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

My search for a new daily driver

Old 08-22-2016, 04:26 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,949 Likes on 2,647 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger
. We absolutely hate the "automatic" climate control.
Why??
On my MB it's great. set the temp and your done.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:31 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
I've decided not to go with the Civic Touring, at least not for now. I do want to try some of the other cars on the list and I probably will wait to see the Civic Si. The Civic Touring has everything that I want in a size and weight that I want, except for a manual transmission.

Having thought it over this weekend, I think I probably would get bored of a car with an automatic transmission. When I drive my wife's TSX I just don't feel involved or connected to the car.
The 8speed auto with paddles in the ATS is a lot of fun.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:50 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,484 Likes on 1,890 Posts

My daughter has my late father's 2005 Acura RSX with around 140,000 miles on it. I've been staying with her for the past six nights after she had minor knee surgery, and I've driven my dad's old RSX. Your thread, Rob, is helpful for me to advise her in choosing her next car. She wants an automatic and is thinking of AWD, though. I'm hoping there's a Honda that might work or another Acura. Her boyfriend is a Subaru dude.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:24 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Rob,

Definitely want to wait to try the Civic Si, but in the mean time, test drive the "FiST and FoST" which are the Fiesta ST and Focus ST, both from Ford. Focus ST is basically the Ford Civic Si with a little more power (252ish from a 2.0T) and the FiST is basically a Honda Fit ST (also 2.0T, not sure how much power).

I'm more of a FoST guy of the two (I think the FiST is too small) bu this guy loves his:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...-34-post-fist/
Old 08-23-2016, 06:25 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
Originally Posted by Lainey' timestamp='1471743574' post='24044126
I thought a manual transmission was #1 on your must have list.

If so, I'd vote no. You might kick yourself.
Lainey,

Yes, it was the #1 on my must have list but I can't find what I want with a manual transmission. That's the problem.

The Civic Touring has everything that I want, and I've always liked Civics. My option is to hold out for the Si. Nobody seems to know when it will be available and nobody seems to know what will be available with it.

Right now I'm torn.
Can't the dealer search other dealers and trade to find a manual ? I haven't played the dealer game in a while, but dealers would often trade cars between them.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:32 AM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by spad124
Originally Posted by ralper' timestamp='1471746915' post='24044139
[quote name='Lainey' timestamp='1471743574' post='24044126']
I thought a manual transmission was #1 on your must have list.

If so, I'd vote no. You might kick yourself.
Lainey,

Yes, it was the #1 on my must have list but I can't find what I want with a manual transmission. That's the problem.

The Civic Touring has everything that I want, and I've always liked Civics. My option is to hold out for the Si. Nobody seems to know when it will be available and nobody seems to know what will be available with it.

Right now I'm torn.
Can't the dealer search other dealers and trade to find a manual ? I haven't played the dealer game in a while, but dealers would often trade cars between them.
[/quote]

The Civic Touring,1.5 liter,is only available,with a CVT automatic tranny;it is NOT PRODUCED with a manual tranny.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:29 PM

Received 4,251 Likes on 3,308 Posts

Rob I ended up getting a new 17 WRX this past Saturday and I absolutely LOVE it! I have put about 175 miles on it so far and the only real downside if I had to find something would be road noise but to me that is to be expected in this kind of car. I usually spend a year or more looking and agonizing over a car purchase but I knew I would be happy with the wrx after 2 test drives and that it was a good fit for me. The dealer offered a solo test drive to me on Sat. and that really sealed it for me I was able to spend time uninterrupted with the car I would suggest that if you don't find a dealer that will cooperate with you than move on to another they should let you take one out on your own.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:32 PM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Robb, is your WRX an additional vehicle to your fleet or a replacement for one you had? What color did you get?
Levi
Old 08-23-2016, 02:52 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 377 Posts

Rob, have you seen the Toyota 86? For 2017 it is the newest Toyota version of the Scion FR-S and the Subaru BRZ. I haven't seen one, but maybe the Toyota store is more accommodating than the Subaru shop. I don't know about a manual transmission on this version, but you would expect one to be available.

https://www.cnet.com...2017-toyota-86/
Old 08-23-2016, 04:20 PM

Received 3,190 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Originally Posted by robb
Rob I ended up getting a new 17 WRX this past Saturday and I absolutely LOVE it! I have put about 175 miles on it so far and the only real downside if I had to find something would be road noise but to me that is to be expected in this kind of car. I usually spend a year or more looking and agonizing over a car purchase but I knew I would be happy with the wrx after 2 test drives and that it was a good fit for me. The dealer offered a solo test drive to me on Sat. and that really sealed it for me I was able to spend time uninterrupted with the car I would suggest that if you don't find a dealer that will cooperate with you than move on to another they should let you take one out on your own.
Congrats...is this an addition to the fleet or a replacement for another vehicle?

Quick Reply: My search for a new daily driver