S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

My search for a new daily driver

Old 08-18-2016, 11:35 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,867 Likes on 2,079 Posts

Originally Posted by SheDrivesIt
That was Mark, not Scoots but I speak from personal experience on the Audi subject. My experience was with the A4.
Weird, we've had 4 Audi's and they've all been flawless.

We also have a Fiat 500 Abarth which has been trouble free as well, it's also a ton of fun to drive. I have had friends with Mini's and it's been a mixed bag, usually the electronic stuff going bad and costing quite a bit to fix.

The new Civic Si (Type R) should be a fun car but I'm not sure when/if it's coming here.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:35 PM

Received 4,251 Likes on 3,308 Posts

Rob I test drove a 17 wrx yesterday and drove it both on the highway and through the city and was astonished at how well it handled it really was impressive, it had 17 inch summer performance tires. I didn't want to push it as it was new but last week I droved a used one and wasn't overly impressed with the acceleration but did find it fun reminded me of the S a bit in the sense that you don't realize how fast you are going until you look at the speedo. I found the seats to be very comfortable and overall did like the interior one negative was on the highway there was a bit of road noise and you do get a bit of an economy feel although again I was very impressed with the handling. I haggled a bit and got them down to 26.4 for the base and the premium they didn't seem to move on much and they are at 29ish on that and both are 17's with delivery miles.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:36 PM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Robb, are you thinking of increasing the size of your fleet?
Levi
Old 08-18-2016, 02:46 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
Robb, are you thinking of increasing the size of your fleet?
Levi
No. I'm fed up with my BMW. I'd been giving me problems and has become unreliable. I'm going to get rid of it and replace with a different daily driver.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:23 PM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

^^^I knew that, I was wondering about Robb from Vt.
Levi
Old 08-18-2016, 04:54 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
^^^I knew that, I was wondering about Robb from Vt.
Levi
Sorry about that
Old 08-19-2016, 11:00 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 377 Posts

Rob, I just had a software update done on my 2013 to fix some idling and stalling, surging issues after coming to a stop. It is for cars with the BMW DCT tranny. It seems BMW does not advertise these fixes very openly and owners have to do the research themselves or remain frustrated. I was just wondering if maybe a DME software update fix had been issued for the issues you are having with your BMW. With your low mileage and careful maintenance it doesn't make any sense that the car cannot be brought up to par with available BMW technology. Anyway, you have probably already checked that out, but in case it might be useful, you could check the SIB bulletins that BMW has sent out for the 328I. The BMW forums are full of posts from people who have not gotten satisfaction from (some) dealers in their making owners aware of software fixes that are available. The technicians themselves often are unaware of the updates available.

example
https://www.automd.c.../bmw_m/328i_mm/
Old 08-19-2016, 05:46 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by S1997
Rob, I just had a software update done on my 2013 to fix some idling and stalling, surging issues after coming to a stop. It is for cars with the BMW DCT tranny. It seems BMW does not advertise these fixes very openly and owners have to do the research themselves or remain frustrated. I was just wondering if maybe a DME software update fix had been issued for the issues you are having with your BMW. With your low mileage and careful maintenance it doesn't make any sense that the car cannot be brought up to par with available BMW technology. Anyway, you have probably already checked that out, but in case it might be useful, you could check the SIB bulletins that BMW has sent out for the 328I. The BMW forums are full of posts from people who have not gotten satisfaction from (some) dealers in their making owners aware of software fixes that are available. The technicians themselves often are unaware of the updates available.

example
https://www.automd.c.../bmw_m/328i_mm/
Thanks for the info. So far as I know, all of the updates have been installed. At least that's what the service writer confirmed to me a few weeks ago. I am going to look into these but I don't think any address the problems I'm having.

I have been driving the car very hard these last few days since the warning light went out and remarkably the car has been behaving itself. I'm sure I'll have more problems, but for now, the car seems stable. I'm still not keeping it.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:43 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,747 Posts

Interestingly, my ex is in the country for a few months and has decided to buy a used car to drive. He was going to get a Mercedes or BMW, but a guy friend who works for a BMW dealer told him to get a Toyota or Honda instead!
Old 08-20-2016, 06:45 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by MsPerky
Interestingly, my ex in in the country for a few months and has decided to buy a used car to drive. He was going to get a Mercedes or BMW, but a guy friend who works for a BMW dealer told him to get a Toyota or Honda instead!
Good advice.

The search starts today. Liz and I are going to one of the local Subaru dealers. We're going to look at the WRX and the BRZ.

Quick Reply: My search for a new daily driver