S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

My search for a new daily driver

Old 09-04-2016, 01:35 PM

Received 771 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet sitter
Originally Posted by ralper' timestamp='1472912956' post='24054212
Does anyone have any experience with the Mazda3. It was suggested to me. I just checked out the specs and I can get the sGrand Touring Trim with a manual transmission and all of the features I want. I'm going to try to test drive it next week.

If anyone has any experience with the Mazda3 or Mazda in general, I'd appreciate your feedback.

I owned a '95 Miata, it was a great little car, traded it in on the S. Since Honda came out with the CVT, I have considered the Mazda 3 hatchback as a replacement for my 2000 Honda Accord. When I went to Durango this year for the S2000 days, one of the people in my drive group had a Mazda3. Every time I think about replacing the Accord, I just can't bring myself to getting rid of it. Just came up on 222,222 miles. Still runs great, replaced the tires two years ago, still good for at least another two years. Body could use some attention, but only one spot of rust on the left rear quarter panel. Doesn't use any oil, still giving me city/highway average of around 30 mpg. The wife is tired of seeing it, but like you, I don't know what to replace it with. The G37 and the S spend most of their time resting in the garage, so when I want to get some fun driving in, I just take one for a spin.

The word on the street is; buy Japanese, lease European. So if you can write off a business expense on your taxes, lease yourself a jaguar F type.
The F type is one sweet ride. I detailed one for a friend and got to drive it. If I had the $$$, it would be my choice.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:28 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,159 Posts

I took a test drive in a Mazda S3 sGrand Touring manual transmission this morning. I liked it. Not quite as much as the Honda Civic Touring Edition, but the Honda isn't available with a manual transmission but the Mazda is.

It's high on my list. The search continues.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:28 AM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
I took a test drive in a Mazda S3 sGrand Touring manual transmission this morning. I liked it. Not quite as much as the Honda Civic Touring Edition, but the Honda isn't available with a manual transmission but the Mazda is.

It's high on my list. The search continues.

If you buy the S3 keep us informed.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:13 PM

Received 1,103 Likes on 699 Posts

Rob, the Mazda3 is about the same size as the Toyota Corolla. Have you thought about one of those? I've never had one but have had Toyota Celica's, and pickups since the 70s, and 4Runners and Rav4s since the 90s. No problems with any of them, none.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:49 PM

Have you looked at the Honda Accord Sport? It is available with 6mt and starts under $23K. There was a used 2015 model available locally, but the car got caught up in a bidding war. I could have purchased a new one for the same price as they sold the used one for. Not many 6speeds available.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:54 AM

Car & Driver did a 40K mile test on the Mazda 3 touring with 6mt and they were very pleased. They had a difficult time to find anything wrong with the car. OTD $28K.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:43 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Tomorrow the BMW goes in for service. It's become almost not drivable. The clutch feels like it's slipping under heavy acceleration, there is a low level vibration in the car, the car hesitates during acceleration and the drive train malfunction light is still on. I'll probably have to take a second mortgage on my house to pay for the repairs, but I have to have the car fixed.

So far I've tested a Honda Civic Touring and really liked it, but it can't be had with a manual transmission. I've also tested a Mazda 3 with a manual. I liked it a lot, but not enough to jump. If there were no alternatives I'd probably buy it, but I have others to look at.

I'm now waiting for the Honda Civic Hatchback to come out. It's supposed to be available with a manual transmission. I'm really waiting for the new Si. If I have some time this weekend I'll probably test the Fords and the VWs, but as long as I'm having the BMW fixed, I have time to wait, I don't have to rush.

More to come.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:01 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

My son and his wife just adore the GTi, Rob.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:24 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Here is what Automobile Magazine said after a year in the 2015 model year GTi. I think the 2017 model takes care of some of the complaints about USB inputs as the car has Apple Play and you can mirror your phone right on the car's onboard screen.

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/20...asons-wrap-up/
Old 09-22-2016, 05:42 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

My BMW is in for service. It needs a new clutch (more about this in the BMW thread). The loaner that I have is a 2016 BMW 228i X-Drive convertible in red. I really like this car in spite of it's automatic transmission. I wish this car had been out when I bought my BMW. This car, assuming it wouldn't have the problems that mine has, suits me better. I can understand why Bill likes his so much.

I probably won't buy another BMW. I have a very sour taste in my mouth for them, and this car is far more expensive than I want, but I really like this car. So much, that I'm keeping it over the weekend to enjoy it top down all day Saturday and Sunday. This is more like what I though a BMW should be.

Quick Reply: My search for a new daily driver